Giving advice

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I sent a query to the R&A through the Rules website, so I will post the answer if and wen received.

One thing you jear all the time is one player saying to another 'Take your time'. That is advice, surely.

If your question was about a provisional, as I posted above, I already have a ruling from them.

I will post it in a couple of days when I´m back home.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me there has to be a clear difference from offering advice to offering options if you get asked the question "what do I do?"

Your options are.......

That's not advice but it does give clear indication to drop options for people who maybe not fully aware of drop rules/options

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The curious thing about not saying anything in that situation is not just that nothing said means something, but that nothing said can mean two different things. The player might actively mean " I am knowingly putting another ball in play" or passively mean "I really intend this to be a provisional but i've forgotten to say/don't know any better." If the latter, the player who intends the ball he is about to play to be a provisional and says nothing is about to breach a rule.

To answer your question, a referee should ask the player about to play another ball whether it is a provisional or not.

I think your key word here is 'referee'

Also I believe if you are playing in a team match the team captain can give advice (or is that a local competition rule) so can check with his player who is about to play another ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For me there has to be a clear difference from offering advice to offering options if you get asked the question "what do I do?"

Your options are.......

That's not advice but it does give clear indication to drop options for people who maybe not fully aware of drop rules/options

Do you hit the guy that asked with a 2-shot Penalty/Loss of hole for asking for advice?

'What can I do here?' is much better - even though ambiguous. 'What are my options here?' is unambiguously seeking facts, not advice.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you hit the guy that asked with a 2-shot Penalty/Loss of hole for asking for advice?

'What can I do here?' is much better - even though ambiguous. 'What are my options here?' is unambiguously seeking facts, not advice.

It's a tough one that's for sure and a lot depends on the situation I suppose

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

One thing you jear all the time is one player saying to another 'Take your time'. That is advice, surely.

Maybe im imagining this but when the mag did a piece with John Paramore [sp] didnt he say this was the most common rule broken as it is indeed advice .. Jezz / Mike do ye remember the interview ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Maybe im imagining this but when the mag did a piece with John Paramore [sp] didnt he say this was the most common rule broken as it is indeed advice .. Jezz / Mike do ye remember the interview ?

I certainly have recollection of the association of his name and that 'advice'.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I'm not so sure that I would love golf as much if I was stopped from making a comment to a fellow player to "take you're time" when he's already 3 putted. We aren't playing for £1m and I think that I would be tempted to crown anyone who pulled me up on it and penalised me!

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Where as i think this is what was said ..

I'm not so sure that I would love golf as much if I was stopped from making a comment to a fellow player to "take you're time" when he's already 3 putted. We aren't playing for £1m and I think that I would be tempted to crown anyone who pulled me up on it and penalised me!

This is what i think also..

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was playing with a guy recently and I told him he was a bit fat to wear pink J Lindeberg trousers and white belt.

Was that advice?

Could have been. Did he immediately change out of his pink breeks in to something more discreet? And if he did, was his subsequent play improved? ;)

(And come on, what was your question to the R&A?)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
And come on, what was your question to the R&A?

A player finds their ball in a diffiuclt lie. You say "Hi, do you want me to explain your options under the rules? It will be your choice to decide how to proceed though". They say yes and you explain the options to play as it lies, take a drop, replay the shot under stroke and distance etc. The player decides what to do and plays on.

Have you given advice?.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The key word was indeed referee, probably because I was answering Foxholer's questioning whether a referee would ask a player if a second ball being put into play was a provisional or not. :)

So how about a Fellow Competitor or (more importantly) his Marker who is specifically defined as 'not a referee'.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
So how about a Fellow Competitor or (more importantly) his Marker who is specifically defined as 'not a referee'.

That's the very question Ethan has asked. My own tuppence worth is that by offering to explain his options to the other player, you are telling him that he has these choices (which he may or may not realise, but you don't know which) and as such are giving him information which could influence his playing of the hole - therefore advice. If he asks what his options are, then he is aware he has them and in replying you are simply giving information on the rules which is ok. As a player, I certainly don't ever offer.