Getting old and giving up

oleinone

Visit site
Flipping Heck! I'm coming up 73, play off 18, have recently had a partial knee replacement and play whenever it's not raining. it's not just the game it's the vital importance of getting out and interacting with friends and indeed strangers. A regular playing partner is 82 who hits it not long but straight, has a wicked short game and is off 20. If you can physically keep up your golf, it's got to be good for you in so many ways.
A final thought, our handicap system makes it a rare game where different ages can compete against each other. A holiday last month with my son(hcap 12) with 5 matchplay rounds ended with a 3 against 2 result in his favour - it was great.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I bumped into a guy I'd played against in the Moray & Nairn league a few times while walking the dog. He had been a scratch player his whole adult life and fitness and health issues had robbed him of any consistency. I hadn't seen him in at least 5 years. He'd given up as he just couldn't play to the standard he expected of himself and said he got no enjoyment in playing badly so had just given up.

He is only in his mid 60s

Last edited:

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
Not just physical health but mental health too.

I managed to sneak out late afternoon on my own for 9 holes. I remember on about the 4th hole I was completely on my own, the sun was shining, all I could hear was the birds it was quite warm and I just had one of those moments where I thought to myself life doesn't get much better than this. Then there is the interaction and "banter" with others at the club and so on.

I run as well so golf is not a primary exercise for me but it is certainly good. I logged a round on my running watch from arrival at the car park and departure just to see. It was something over 6 miles of walking and 1200 calories. I ended up with over 25,000 steps that day also.

So all in all I would say it will have impact on both physical and mental health.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
If you love a sport I think most find it hard to give up, even if their ability declines due to physical limitations.Golf is one of the few sports where you can carry on playing and hopefully enjoying the game as long as you are mobile enough. The handicap system, for all it's faults, also helps that aim. As mentioned above, golf can fulfil an important social aspect for many people.

I played football to a pretty good standard and always said to myself that I would give up rather than go down to second teams then lower and lower leagues. I gave up but soon found myself doing exactly what i said I wouldn't just because I loved the game. Even when I did finally give up I managed to play a bit of 5 a s side.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Not just physical health but mental health too.

I managed to sneak out late afternoon on my own for 9 holes. I remember on about the 4th hole I was completely on my own, the sun was shining, all I could hear was the birds it was quite warm and I just had one of those moments where I thought to myself life doesn't get much better than this. Then there is the interaction and "banter" with others at the club and so on.

I run as well so golf is not a primary exercise for me but it is certainly good. I logged a round on my running watch from arrival at the car park and departure just to see. It was something over 6 miles of walking and 1200 calories. I ended up with over 25,000 steps that day also.

So all in all I would say it will have impact on both physical and mental health.
This is one of the reasons I go out solo at dawn if I'm not playing with others....
The peace and quiet is fabulous.
I also use golf as my exercise to help keep my knees working.
Walking 4 or 5 miles most days is something I couldn't do off the course as it would drive me insane..
I'll keep playing until I'm physically not able to.
I've long been aware that there will come a point when my abilities begin to subside and I'm OK with that.

AussieKB

Visit site
I'm 70 years old and play off 4-6 handicap depending on the bloody slope, I do say often that I used to drive it about 20-40 yards further, but don't we all say that.

Still I go out for the banter as much as anything else, have another trip to Thailand later in the year with over 20 other people all over 55, it is one of the highlights of the year for me.

D

Deleted member 1147

If you're struggling to score, and age is causing you issues on the course, perhaps LIV is the correct next step for your golfing life 😁

Sorry, but someone had to say it

AussieKB

Visit site
If you're struggling to score, and age is causing you issues on the course, perhaps LIV is the correct next step for your golfing life 😁

Sorry, but someone had to say it
I would jump at the chance for any amount of money, but more for the travel and lifestyle.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Over the decades I think golf has helped me stay in good shape overall.

I've made an adjustment to how much I play.

36 holes in one day - only once a year - club championship - need two clear days to recover.
Playing two days in a row - try to avoid - does happen sometimes - feel rather depleted afterwards.

Decided against county seniors team matches - hour and a half in the car - 27 holes - hour and a half in the car - no thanks.

Being a bit more selective about the competitive golf and playing social games, some of those with the old clubs, gives me a lot of enjoyment.

Awayday/exchange day tomorrow, then a club comp following day.
Looking forward to both and looking forward to doing not much on Sunday!

I'm hopeful of many more such years to come.
Still competitive when I have to be.
I like putting to win a hole, or a match, or for a 2, or for a birdie on the 18th to win a comp.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
My father in law is 59 and plays off 1 (and has been scratch or thereabouts for 15-20 years now) but has always said he'd give it up if he got over 5. I don't really get that mentality but he's a former professional footballer who is one of those naturally gifted sportsmen so if he's not at the sharp end it'd eat away at him mentally.

On the flipside I played with a bloke in his 80s the other week who is still off 7 and was an absolute joy to play with. Tired a bit towards the end but could still pump it out there. That's where I'd love to be at his age but whether or not my body will let me I don't know.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I’m always baffled by senior players reluctance too play from forward tees. If you haven’t got the distance anymore why make life difficult?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No intention of giving up.
My age (now in my early 70s) and injuries has meant I am now 40-50 yards down on iron length compared to my late 30s and around 50-80 with the driver.
My handicap has more than doubled in the last few years I was 6 I am now 13 H.I.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm 70 now but didn't start golf until I was nearly 50, and even soon after that I had bits of my knackered body replaced. My lowest handicap has been 9.9 and is now 16.2. I haven't lost much distance with any club and have already won one of the full clubs competitions this year I still hit a 7 iron about 165 yards. I did a bit of work on my swing a couple of days ago and shot 35 points in this weeks Stableford.

So, all in all I still harbour ambitions of playing back at my old average of 12 handicap.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I’m always baffled by senior players reluctance too play from forward tees. If you haven’t got the distance anymore why make life difficult?
I'm always baffled by players' reluctance to play from forward tees, if they haven't got the distance.
I do not feel the need to make a special case with regard to age.

Last edited:

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are two guys in our group, both over 80. One of them gets frustrated due to his current form, he 'tops' it a lot and gets annoyed that his handicap is not going up. The other used to be a low handicapper but gets annoyed that he doesn't score well enough to get his handicap down!
Me, I'll just be pleased to be able to play golf of any standard when I get to 80.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm 38 and firmly believe that when my ability goes or diminishes I'll be done. My enjoyment really comes from the battle to improve and trying to be competitive.

That said, when it happens I reckon I'll likely have a change of heart.