Getting old and giving up

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I started playing in ‘68. I first stopped in Dec 2019, age 61, because it was too painful to play. By the time I got to the 12th hole the back spasms would start. By the time I got to the 15th the spasms made it difficult to walk, and even breathe. I took 2 years out but started again because I missed it too much. I very much swung the club gently but 3 months later, in March 22, I gave up again. It was only a bit painful but I wasn’t enjoying it. Playing off around 4, 5, 6 from ‘75 till I stopped in ‘19 but then playing old man’s nudge it up the middle golf in Dec ‘21 didn’t give me the buzz.

I’ll play the odd social game occasionally but I’m not fussed really if I can’t knock it around as I used to.

NearHull

Visit site
Chatting to one of the members who played in front of my group on Tuesday, he is a week off his 90th birthday. He laughed when I asked did he play to his age.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I used to occasionally play with a bloke who always parked his Lexus in the same spot, close to the 10th tee. One day I noticed his old Lexus had become a new Lexus, and so I asked him about it. He said "I bought the old one when I turned 60, and it has served me well for ten years. I have bought the new one as I have turned 70, and I hope to get 10 years out of it".

The thing is he was a fabulous golfer. He said that back in the day he used to practice 25 hours a week (think about it) and played off 5. As a consequence he completely owned his swing and I had always hoped that I could replicate his longevity, if I was able to stay fit I think I could.

I've always been fit and healthy up until recently when what I thought was sciatica looks like being a hip issue, and a pull in the groin has compounded my golfing woes. With an 8 HI I can't break 90 at the moment, and I'm not sure that I would want to play golf the way I currently am. It's not even about being competitive it's just about playing good golf and striking the ball well, something which I have been completely incapable of the last few weeks.

I'm pulling my puddings out trying to work my way through it, and it may be that today I discover the issue, I'll find out over the next day or so.

As for my friend with the Lexus, I haven't seen him in a good while. His wife had a stroke and I believe he is caring for her.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Saturday comp coming up is named after a chap who was club secretary for many years.
We have a par-70 course and I remember him being really thrilled when he shot his age for the first time.
Then as he got older he regularly beat his age. At 86 he said to me that he'd beaten his age more times this year than any previous year. He loved golf.
There's always something in golf to keep your interest going.

I've noticed we have one member older than me with a slightly lower handicap.
Now, there's my goal for the year.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's nice to see that I'm still a whippersnapper at 63, maybe I won't give up just yet. If Smiffy is still playing, I may have to empty his wallet again :)

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You've got years to go yet Bob. A friend's father is 93, plays off 17.3 I believe and dangerous at that, usually 3 full rounds a week (walking), swims twice a week up to 100 lengths and goes sailing at weekends. Puts most of us to shame lol.

It's said that golf can add years to your life and looking at the disproportionate number of active octogenarians in golf clubs, I believe that is true. (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always figure I'll play until I can't physically do it, but then when I see an old timer having to hit driver off every tee, even medium to short par 3s, I wonder how much of a slog it must be and how that can really be enjoyable.

oleinone

Visit site
I’m always baffled by senior players reluctance too play from forward tees. If you haven’t got the distance anymore why make life difficult?
My pro gave me some advice when he heard that I was going to have regular golf trips to Spain. Our course is 6000 yds off the yellows. In the pursuit of golfing pleasure rather than pain. he told me to use the tees which came closest - brilliant.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I always figure I'll play until I can't physically do it, but then when I see an old timer having to hit driver off every tee, even medium to short par 3s, I wonder how much of a slog it must be and how that can really be enjoyable.
Given the alternative is probably a visit from The Reaper, I’d say “Power to their combined elbows”

👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
65 this year and as of today off 8.0, but with changes I’ve been making to my swing I’m feeling enthused 😳 with possibility of going lower. My lowest was off 6 around 1990, and I feel I can get to that, maybe not this year, but maybe next. And who knows, might get to new lowest.🤔

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Having been slightly incapacitated recently and unable to strike the ball with anything other than a thin, fat or toe shot, and having read this thread, your post has I think, supplied me with the answer.

If in my dotage I could hit my driver at the medium to short par 3, not with the power and distance of my youth, but with a swing which delivered the middle of the club face to the ball for a shorter but still satisfactory outcome, then I think I could live with that. Coupled with doing the same with irons and hybrids and maintaining, or even improving my chipping and putting, I could go on forever.

If on the other hand my body got to the point where for whatever reason I lost all coordination and couldn't deliver the club to the ball in a satisfying manner, that could well be the end.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't understand the thinking of those who say they will pack in when their handicap goes up and they can no longer compete. Surely that is the whole point of the handicap system so that you can still be competitive when your ability drops off?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I topped playing after 60 years, aged 69.
Two reasons, the main one was slow play, the second was I was hitting either hitting really good or really bad shots.
Would have been happy being a Steady Eddy playing off 10/12 handicap.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm 38 and firmly believe that when my ability goes or diminishes I'll be done. My enjoyment really comes from the battle to improve and trying to be competitive.

That said, when it happens I reckon I'll likely have a change of heart.
Exactly what I thought at the time (about football) Jamie - see post 7. I bet (and hope) you will change your mind when that day eventually comes!

Yorkhacker

Visit site
When I'm playing golf, i cant imagine ever stopping. Whatever the weather, you cant beat being out in the countryside, as long as the company is good and there is good catering to look forward to.
At 60, and a relative newcomer to golf, i hope to have a good few number of years left in me, and still believe i havent yet peaked.
I hope that as i get older and lose distance, i will be sensible enough to move forward to the appropriate tees.
When i stop enjoying playing, it will be time to stop, but i would like to think i will still be a regular visitor to the club as a social member

AAC

Visit site
I start to collect my old age pension in three weeks, I have scoliosis in my spine and arthritis in my right wrist and hand, do I still play & love the game ? yes I do. I finally stopped comparing myself with how I played 30 years ago and just enjoy being out and with friends, that said I still try and get my h/c lower and compete as much as I ever did. Last week I had a dreadful front 9 remonstrated internally with myself over a mid round cup of tea and shot gross level par for the back nine which I haven't done in a long time so yes its a funny old game, but age doesn't have to enter into the equation as to whether to play or not to play.

RichA

Visit site
5 years ago I was playing cricket and football, not golf. I couldn't imagine ever giving either up.
I haven't kicked a football in 3 years.
I'm dreading the annual memorial cricket match that I'm playing next weekend.
I can't imagine ever giving golf up, but I've started eyeing up the local lawn bowls club.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
5 years ago I was playing cricket and football, not golf. I couldn't imagine ever giving either up.
I haven't kicked a football in 3 years.
I'm dreading the annual memorial cricket match that I'm playing next weekend.
I can't imagine ever giving golf up, but I've started eyeing up the local lawn bowls club.

Many ex-golfers make excellent bowlers. Hell, it took me 3 years to become club champion at bowls, the best I ever achieved at golf was a hatful of seconds.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In last two weeks I’ve played scratch matches against two guys both in their early 30s and so half my age, one off 4 and the other +2. Though I lost 3&2 and 4&3 I felt I managed to give both a decent game, and both matches could have been closer were it not for a known weak area of my game - one that I am working on. Hope springs eternal.

Reactions: AAC