Gap Wedge v Lob Wedge

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am in the market for a club that will help my ball to stop on the greens, instead of rolling off!

From what I can gather the best club for this, would either be a gap wedge or lob wedge, can anybody recommend either, from their own experience and knowledge?

many thanks.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in the market for a club that will help my ball to stop on the greens, instead of rolling off!

From what I can gather the best club for this, would either be a gap wedge or lob wedge, can anybody recommend either, from their own experience and knowledge?

many thanks.

What's wrong with a sand wedge?...and a bit of skill? :)

A nicely clipped Vokey (or similar milled wedge) will stop pretty darn quick and roll out just a little from that sort of range.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ahhh now see I didnt know that the sand wedge had these qualities of being able to stop the ball pretty quickly! Thats saved me a bob or two!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ahhh now see I didnt know that the sand wedge had these qualities of being able to stop the ball pretty quickly! Thats saved me a bob or two!

The thing is; on short pitch shots, as you/we are not hitting full shots, there will not be the sort of zipping backspin we see the pros getting. All properly hit shots with wedges will have backspin, but enough to stop the ball really quick....not so easy.
A wedge shot that comes in with height will probably stop the quickest, that's why folks like Lob Wedges, but the more loft, the more unpredictable the outcome. It's all very well lobbing a ball over a bunker or something, but lob it too high and it might not even get to the flag.

Most players have a few choices of shot they rely on. A 25-30 yard shot to a flag that is in the middle of a 25-30 yard green means you've got to fly the ball at least halfway unless you land it short for some specific reason. I'd play this sort of "50/50" shot with a pitching wedge more often than not. However, you could easily find that flying the ball further with less "roll-out" with a sand wedge might suit your style. There's no right or wrong way really. In dry conditions, I might even chip with a 7 iron and use the contours of the green. The possibilities are endless.

The cool shot is the high one that stops quick.

The percentage shot is probably to get the ball running/rolling sooner than later.

From the a few yards short of the fringe of the green, my current choice is to use my Vokey SW and nip it clean to land less than 10 foot short of the flag.

I'm sure everyone will have their trusted method. :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lob wedge- 60-64 degrees commonly and low bounce

Sand wedge- 54-8 degrees commonly and high bounce

Gap wedge- 48-52 degrees commonly and low bounce

Pitching Wedge- 44-48 degrees commonly and low bounce

Bounce is the shape of the sole of the club, low allows you to pick the ball off a tight lie while high stops the ball digging into sand.

I prefer to hit my approach shots from that range with my 52 gap wedge, this stops quickly, usually 25% of the distance.

I can play a variety of shots with the club and with others, depending on the situation.

Be flexible, there is frequently more than one "correct" shot, its how committed you are to the shot you choose that usually counts!