Gambling doesn't pay?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Going to be a huge gambling problem increase in the next ten years

Kids are being opened up to the world of gambling from a very young age now in video games

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
Going to be a huge gambling problem increase in the next ten years

Kids are being opened up to the world of gambling from a very young age now in video games

Loot boxes have already been made illegal in several European countries, it should be worldwide imo.
Another one is pay to play on the smartphones, that has cost quite a few parents a lot of money, don't tell me the programmers aren't doing this on purose!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't like gambling. I hate the fact that Reading FC (season ticket holder) and so many footie teams are sponsored by betting companies, and even the EFL is sponsored by one. I think they sucker people into over spending because people don't understand the power of the small margin that betting companies take. That 0 or 00 on a roulette wheel is enough to make sure the house comes out ahead, but it is much worse in sports betting. Or the way you are drawn into thinking you have a 'lucky' streak when it is just random chance which will bite back.

You can convert odds into probability, and backwards again. Something with a 50/50 chance is evens, 33% chance is 2-1, 66% chance is 1-2 and so on. So if you take a football match, there are 3 possible outcomes, one team wins, the other wins, they draw.

Man City play Real Madrid tonight. Paddy Power has the odds as MC win 4/6, RM win 7/2, draw 16/5. Converting these into probability gives MC 60% chance, RM 22.2%, draw 23.8%. So they have sold 106% of the possible outcomes. The England cricket match is slightly worse.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dislike those 'cockeney geezer' type actors who promote gambling with a great intensity, do they have no moral backbone at all.
They are only chosen because the guff they spout will appeal to the weak/wooly minded.
I make a point of never watching any films they are in.
They look rubbish anyway so no loss.:love:
Agree gambling should be nowhere near sports advertising, the government should ban them [like alcoholic drinks ]

I knew a few professional gamblers in the horse racing industry, lucky if the would place 20 bets a year. Gambling junkies place 20 bets a day.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't like gambling. I hate the fact that Reading FC (season ticket holder) and so many footie teams are sponsored by betting companies, and even the EFL is sponsored by one. I think they sucker people into over spending because people don't understand the power of the small margin that betting companies take. That 0 or 00 on a roulette wheel is enough to make sure the house comes out ahead, but it is much worse in sports betting. Or the way you are drawn into thinking you have a 'lucky' streak when it is just random chance which will bite back.

You can convert odds into probability, and backwards again. Something with a 50/50 chance is evens, 33% chance is 2-1, 66% chance is 1-2 and so on. So if you take a football match, there are 3 possible outcomes, one team wins, the other wins, they draw.

Man City play Real Madrid tonight. Paddy Power has the odds as MC win 4/6, RM win 7/2, draw 16/5. Converting these into probability gives MC 60% chance, RM 22.2%, draw 23.8%. So they have sold 106% of the possible outcomes. The England cricket match is slightly worse.
If they priced it at 100%, they don’t make a profit.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they priced it at 100%, they don’t make a profit.

Indeed, and that CEO Of Bet365 shows that they make a very good profit. That basic calculation doesn't take into account recycling bets. Many gamblers will win a few small bets then "reinvest" their winnings until they lose, then chase after those losses and end up losing big.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My biggest bugbear is Talksport. Dress it up how you like, it is one massive advert for the betting industry. Bookmakers on in every segment giving their comments, presenters constantly touting the 'glamour' of gambling, whole weeks presented from tents or boxes run by betting companies etc. It really is laughable how there can be a whole radio station that is basically one big advert for the betting industry that is barely regulated in how it promotes it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Seems more like the thread was resurrected to promote another bookie. ??

(Mod Note, yes it was, spam posts now deleted?)

Last edited by a moderator:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
As someone who considered entering the twos sweep as too much I can’t even fathom going to a shop to gamble.

I have nothing against a school fete level but that’s my limit!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
As someone who considered entering the twos sweep as too much I can’t even fathom going to a shop to gamble.

I have nothing against a school fete level but that’s my limit!

Yes, you're right. I reckon there were some right regular Einstein mathematicians working in some of the betting shops before computers took over.
I can understand Win and even Each Way, but after that I give up.?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There's quite a lot of adverts coming up on my tablet about match betting, I understand you bet on a result of 2 possibilities eg to win and lose, and get further free bets from bookies which makes money - just intrigued to know if anyone does it, and, if so, have they made money?

Rebuteo

Visit site
There's quite a lot of adverts coming up on my tablet about match betting, I understand you bet on a result of 2 possibilities eg to win and lose, and get further free bets from bookies which makes money - just intrigued to know if anyone does it, and, if so, have they made money?

There's money to be made there, but as with most things the peak was before the service started to be advertised everywhere. If you want it as an income you also need to be disciplined enough to not chuck the money in your betting accounts on bets you want yourself. If you want it to just fund your own bets though it can be a good way. I wouldn't pay for a service though, there's enough information about.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I dislike those 'cockeney geezer' type actors who promote gambling with a great intensity, do they have no moral backbone at all.
They are only chosen because the guff they spout will appeal to the weak/wooly minded.
I make a point of never watching any films they are in.
They look rubbish anyway so no loss.:love:
Agree gambling should be nowhere near sports advertising, the government should ban them [like alcoholic drinks ]

I knew a few professional gamblers in the horse racing industry, lucky if the would place 20 bets a year. Gambling junkies place 20 bets a day.

You won’t have to put up with watching Spurs then?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
My biggest bugbear is Talksport. Dress it up how you like, it is one massive advert for the betting industry. Bookmakers on in every segment giving their comments, presenters constantly touting the 'glamour' of gambling, whole weeks presented from tents or boxes run by betting companies etc. It really is laughable how there can be a whole radio station that is basically one big advert for the betting industry that is barely regulated in how it promotes it.

I used to listen to James Richardson's football podcast but it was sponsored by Paddy Power.

So you always got 5 mins of talk about the possible bets, making them sound attractive propositions, which they are not. So I have stopped listening.

Barry Glendenning who does the Guardian football podcast is very vocal about this and how conflicted he is. He does a show on talk sport and says it is very difficult to work in sports broadcasting nowadays and not be talking the money from betting companies. Which to me is not good.

I'm also a bit conflicted about No Laying Up as I really like their stuff. But they have jumped into bed with a US betting company and do a specific show each week talking about potential bets.

Said it before, have no overall objection to betting as I occasionally have a bet. But am very uncomfortable with how it is portrayed at a fun activity in sport broadcasting and just how easy it is now for people to get addicted and into trouble.

In the old days your needed to physically make an effort to go to the bookies, now you can bet on just about anything immediately from your phone.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to listen to James Richardson's football podcast but it was sponsored by Paddy Power.

So you always got 5 mins of talk about the possible bets, making them sound attractive propositions, which they are not. So I have stopped listening.

Barry Glendenning who does the Guardian football podcast is very vocal about this and how conflicted he is. He does a show on talk sport and says it is very difficult to work in sports broadcasting nowadays and not be talking the money from betting companies. Which to me is not good.

I'm also a bit conflicted about No Laying Up as I really like their stuff. But they have jumped into bed with a US betting company and do a specific show each week talking about potential bets.

Said it before, have no overall objection to betting as I occasionally have a bet. But am very uncomfortable with how it is portrayed at a fun activity in sport broadcasting and just how easy it is now for people to get addicted and into trouble.

In the old days your needed to physically make an effort to go to the bookies, now you can bet on just about anything immediately from your phone.

Totally agree. I am not against betting as a whole but the level of promotion that I hear on Talksport is ridiculous. It is not just the paid adds, it is the sponsored sections, it is how debates and discussions are edged towards talking about odds and bets, it is the talk of away days at the racing drinking champagne all day all expensed by the bookies. It really is one unlicensed advert now but it is nice to see that some of the presenters at least have a moral quandry about it whilst other (Alan Brazil being the main culprit) endorse it and profit from it with no obvious moral qualms.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've got a few bad habits.....gambling isn't one of them. Family member got into trouble for a gambling debt about 7 years ago and wanted us to bail him out.....we didn't. That evidently was the last time, his wife laid down the law and scared the crap out of him.