Reducing carbon emissions

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not heard back on the small panels yet but they sent me a quote based on my maximum "viable roofspace" which is a 16 panel 5.8Kw system installed which has 3 options priced;

System only, no battery £6552
System with a 2.6Kw battery £7802
System with 5.2Kw (2 x 2.6Kw) batteries £9000

Initial thoughts would be, if that was enough power to run the whole home (inc garage) then that's not actually a bad price without the battery. £2450 for batteries is quite a jump though although I get the advantages.

Now I am in a fortunate position that I could afford that system, but I appreciate that for many £6.5K is a whole lot of money let alone £9K if they wanted batteries.
If that is the price £9000 for a system with inverter to send energy back to the grid, inc batteries I would snap there hands off. It cost me that just for the system, and that is for a then max at the time 4 KW system.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
If that is the price £9000 for a system with inverter to send energy back to the grid, inc batteries I would snap there hands off. It cost me that just for the system, and that is for a then max at the time 4 KW system.

It did indeed, the whole kit. But doesn’t detract from the fact that you their own calculations it would be underpowered. So no point snapping hands off for a partial solution.

Tashyboy

Visit site
It did indeed, the whole kit. But doesn’t detract from the fact that you their own calculations it would be underpowered. So no point snapping hands off for a partial solution.
Greg how do you mean there own calculations. When I had my panels
Fitted, I was led to believe the generating figures were not down to each individual company but national figures that every company used.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Greg how do you mean there own calculations. When I had my panels
Fitted, I was led to believe the generating figures were not down to each individual company but national figures that every company used.

The figures are indeed the figures. They had some calculator going as they asked me loads of questions about usage, heating system, house size, rooms usage, kitchen appliances etc before they calculated the ideal output for my property, then took the roof images from google earth and did angle and slope calculations to decipher how much roof would be “usable” and for the full capable system, I just didn’t have the room.

Tashyboy

Visit site
The figures are indeed the figures. They had some calculator going as they asked me loads of questions about usage, heating system, house size, rooms usage, kitchen appliances etc before they calculated the ideal output for my property, then took the roof images from google earth and did angle and slope calculations to decipher how much roof would be “usable” and for the full capable system, I just didn’t have the room.
Which company did you use, was it a local company, Ave spoken to Missis T about batteries. Had a Google and my head is spinning.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which company did you use, was it a local company, Ave spoken to Missis T about batteries. Had a Google and my head is spinning.

It was the company Bob linked in the convo. UPS Solar, not local but do installs nationwide by all accounts (possibly sub contractor usage). They were quite thorough in what they asked.

Batteries bought “standalone” are priced much higher than is you take the install “special offer”. Like getting Supagard on a new car after you’ve picked it up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@GreiginFife been pricing up a telsa powerwall 2 install

Just under 10k.. that's just a battery with load control and no panels

13.5 usable battery

By the calculations of My actual usage by time I use 14kw a day outside the cheap times.. so could be viable to install ...charge when the grid is low usage and run my house off grid during the day

The output is 3.5kw tho so roughly 15amp can be pulled around the house at once

That said my high load pull at a given time ATM is 13 amp so not too impossible ..

You can with permission take it up to 5kw output which is 20amps which would be good

Usable for sure

My most usage is overnight with the car so charge both battieres at once

Tashyboy

Visit site
Picked up on the story where the government has said that from next year, every new house should have an electric charging point. I cannot help but think its A half arsed job. Why do all new builds not have solar fitted as well. And am sure there’s other things could and should be the norm.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Picked up on the story where the government has said that from next year, every new house should have an electric charging point. I cannot help but think its A half arsed job. Why do all new builds not have solar fitted as well. And am sure there’s other things could and should be the norm.
Good idea in principle but pushes the price of new builds up and no one can get on the housing ladder. Builders are ‘supposed’ to build a certain amount of affordable houses per development but couldn’t do this if every house had panels, heat pumps, car chargers, etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good idea in principle but pushes the price of new builds up and no one can get on the housing ladder. Builders are ‘supposed’ to build a certain amount of affordable houses per development but couldn’t do this if every house had panels, heat pumps, car chargers, etc
Have you seen the profits the big house builders are making right now? Also, factor in that if Persimmon, Barratts etc are buying these products their purchasing power is huge and should keep costs down. Better to add these items at the build stage than after the event. It soon becomes part and parcel of the build, a bit like double glazing became standard instead of single glazing.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Scottish Government has been "encouraging" house builders to include energy saving measures like Solar since 2015. Pretty much all new builds around here since then have panels installed on the roof. The size and efficiency of the panels varies, obviously, but it's a bit of a start.

I have an on-site assessment and quote booked for Thursday to understand more about how it will and won't work for me.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty much all new builds around here since then have panels installed on the roof.
Just to make sure I've understood properly.
You're saying that new builds around your way have traditional tiles and then solar panels on top, installed by the builders?
Why would they do that, when solar PV roofing tiles are readily available?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to make sure I've understood properly.
You're saying that new builds around your way have traditional tiles and then solar panels on top, installed by the builders?
Why would they do that, when solar PV roofing tiles are readily available?

I haven't inspected them up close so no, I am not saying that. I am saying that they have solar panels on the roof. The mechanism of fixing to said roof is undetermined.

To your second point, I suppose cost is a factor. If the tiles are more expensive why would you cut in to your margins?

D

Deleted member 3432

Have you seen the profits the big house builders are making right now? Also, factor in that if Persimmon, Barratts etc are buying these products their purchasing power is huge and should keep costs down. Better to add these items at the build stage than after the event. It soon becomes part and parcel of the build, a bit like double glazing became standard instead of single glazing.

Persimmon couldn't build a shed.

All these new builds are built using the lowest spec products they can get away with to meet base 'energy efficiency' criteria and maximise profits.

So while they are energy efficient they could be far more energy efficient......

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Persimmon couldn't build a shed.

All these new builds are built using the lowest spec products they can get away with to meet base 'energy efficiency' criteria and maximise profits.

So while they are energy efficient they could be far more energy efficient......
They are awful, totally agree. Sadly, they are the ones building more big estates in my area than any other house builder. On the town FB page you get a post coming up saying 'anyone having problems with their Persimmon home on X estate' and quickly a reply will come up with a dedicated page for people and their lengthy problems. Every one they have built has a problem site. They are the Ryanair of housing but like Ryanir people still use them and then get surprised when they have problems.