Reducing carbon emissions

D

Deleted member 3432

They are awful, totally agree. Sadly, they are the ones building more big estates in my area than any other house builder. On the town FB page you get a post coming up saying 'anyone having problems with their Persimmon home on X estate' and quickly a reply will come up with a dedicated page for people and their lengthy problems. Every one they have built has a problem site. They are the Ryanair of housing but like Ryanir people still use them and then get surprised when they have problems.

Sadly they are not the only house builder churning out low quality homes.

Quite happy living in my 1930's built end terrace. Front of the house is north facing and is freezing but it will still be here in 100 years.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are awful, totally agree. Sadly, they are the ones building more big estates in my area than any other house builder. On the town FB page you get a post coming up saying 'anyone having problems with their Persimmon home on X estate' and quickly a reply will come up with a dedicated page for people and their lengthy problems. Every one they have built has a problem site. They are the Ryanair of housing but like Ryanir people still use them and then get surprised when they have problems.

used to be regional FD for volume house builders, the biggest determinant on the quality of the house you get is how good the site manager is. All the big boys are using the same suppliers, products and trades in the main, used to drive me crazy when company didnt want to pay site managers more money, the additional costs in customer care and putting things right, contractor disputes etc was astronomical, not to mention the amount of it that came across my desk!!!! cant say i miss it lol

Tells you a lot when the build cost for a Housing Association property is higher than for the same private sale property!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
In a move to keep the heat in the house we are thinking about the loft. We opened the hatch for the 1st time in a while and we found the attached.

For me it looked like some squashed insulation of some kind. Is that something we can just scoop out and replace with new one? Would some rolls of rock wool be best, or some foam which is already panelled? Would we need a vapour barrier under (or over?) it? I am not sure there is one below this, I haven’t actually touched any of it yet.
And what about cabling running through it? We have about 15 lamps in the top floor including spot light, I don’t think they are covered in the roof space. I saw something about wind sealing on youtube, I guess we would need to cover them with those upside down buckets? Surely we must keep it all accessible?

There is some plastic tank in the loft but I think it might not be connected (or used) for anything anymore.
Towards the actual roof there is some kind of membrane between the joist and the roof tiles which looks promising.

Any pointers on how/where to start would be nice.

Attachments

• 1B3B07B4-B4BD-45AA-A583-00BED5B47DF6.jpeg
    1B3B07B4-B4BD-45AA-A583-00BED5B47DF6.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 0348FE66-E5E8-4ACB-8476-722E4FB6DDCB.jpeg
    0348FE66-E5E8-4ACB-8476-722E4FB6DDCB.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 7DEDE41F-6BC5-4A5E-81F0-2DB62203503E.jpeg
    7DEDE41F-6BC5-4A5E-81F0-2DB62203503E.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 17

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would not try to remove the existing (It’s a horrible job) just get some rolls of rock wool and roll them crossways over the top of the existing. Don’t worry about existing cables or non spotlight fittings they will not be bothered by the extra insulation however spotlights depending on the type should be covered with a fire hood like this……

https://www.toolstation.com/intumes...HGIQS-R34yMEeSnfaJcaAj4xEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Do not cover them with insulation though.

You can ignore any redundant tanks and fit insulation underneath them but if a tank is in use you should not insulate under it as there is a risk of freezing.

Handy guide here…..

https://www.insulationsuperstore.co...l-loft-insulation/#loft-insulation-in-rafters