Gambling doesn't pay?

AliMc

Visit site
I don't know if you can make a living out of gambling
I never been in a bookies in my life and wouldn't know how to fill in a betting slip (do such things still exist or is it electronic now) but when I first started working in 1976 I worked with a guy who was a self confessed full time gambler, rarely had less than a few grand in his pocket, he lived in a huge house in Edinburgh that he paid cash for and always drove brand new top of the range Jags, however, without knowing too much about it, i would imagine that he was the exception rather than the norm.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I never been in a bookies in my life and wouldn't know how to fill in a betting slip (do such things still exist or is it electronic now) but when I first started working in 1976 I worked with a guy who was a self confessed full time gambler, rarely had less than a few grand in his pocket, he lived in a huge house in Edinburgh that he paid cash for and always drove brand new top of the range Jags, however, without knowing too much about it, i would imagine that he was the exception rather than the norm.
You and me also...though I think I once placed a bet on the Grand National. Other than that my experience of bookies is taking the Pitlochry bookie his lunch every day when I worked in a hotel across the road from him. He never struck me as being loaded...maybe that was just a cloak hiding his riches.

My only ‘gamble‘ is a go at the lottery...gambling isn’t generally something I do.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Scum of the earth

Been watching this with interest, a good few years ago my dad had a betting office , he knew 90% of his customers and knew
their families and kept up with the local talk ie who is loosing, owes money to loan "providers" ,proper kept in touch with what
was going on in the locality .I am quite happy that he frequently turned blokes away if he heard they were loosing heavily.
It was a proper old school betting office.
To call bookies scum is out of order. No one forces people in to betting offices its a choice.
Personal responsibility has to be considered , if you are unable to take control dont bet ,but if you do do not blame others when it goes pear shaped.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Whenever I think of gambling, I think of an old Andy Capp cartoon.
Andy: Come on Pet, lend me the money. It's a certainty.
Flo: Before I lend you the money, let me ask you a question.
Andy: OK.
Flo: Where did we spend our last holidays?
Andy: Your mothers.
Flo: Where did your bookie spend his last holidays?
Andy: Bermuda.
Flo (walking away): Think about it.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fil won £8k the other day on a pound lucky dip on the Irish. I love stories like that

Shame I’m always on the periphery ??

Well this didn’t age very well ? I had a bit of a touch on the slots last week ??

I used to like the roulette on the fobts, I had a good few wins that made the ‘gamble’ worth while (if I knew the actual figures maybe not so much ?) but I’d treat it as a source of entertainment and not a source of income.

I reckon the forum could do with a betting thread, but it wouldn’t last. Too many you know what’s on here

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I very rarely gamble and strangely find I rarely win, but when I had my business, my partner, who bet on horses on a regular but frugal basis insisted that we had a competition whenever Ascot or Cheltenham came round. We would pick one horse from each race and whoever won the most at the end of each day won a small amount of money (cant remember how much).

I quite often won the pot and knew precisely nothing about horse racing so I figured it really was just luck!

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Policeman I knew many years ago once went into a bookies to find the owner of the lorry outside (which had no tax ).
Turned out to be a local small time criminal ( not a nasty one though), who castigated the policeman for harassing someone trying to earn an honest living!?
Ironically, he was right?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
She's going to be struggling this year with her £170m pay cut. Not sure how she'll make ends meet with her "only" earning £300m this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60612165
And to think the family 'only' paid £481.7 Million in tax this year - down from £573Million last year!
Somewhat ironically, the doc that showed the above figures mentioned the 'richest man in UK' Sir Len Blavatnik, a Ukranian oligarch worth £23Bn!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Blavatnik was born in Odessa.
Family emigrated to USA as a young man. Gained a degree at Columbia and an MBA at Harvard.
He lives at 15 Kensington Palace Gardens.
The Russian Ambassador's residence is number 13.
Abramovich owns number 16.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Blavatnik was born in Odessa.
Family emigrated to USA as a young man. Gained a degree at Columbia and an MBA at Harvard.
He lives at 15 Kensington Palace Gardens.
The Russian Ambassador's residence is number 13.
Abramovich owns number 16.
That road is an eye-opener to walk down...makes you wonder...though we have a good idea.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I see it's been a while, but I wanted to chime in. It's mind-boggling to see the amount of money she has made from the gambling industry. However, as you mentioned, there are concerns about gambling, especially with regards to children. It's important to have regulations in place to protect vulnerable individuals from the negative effects of gambling.
There are. The KYC regs now are very stringent, I'm glad I no longer work in the industry

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The EX-son in law was hooked. Cost him the marriage when the daughter found out. Wonga & log book loans + every credit card known + bank loans. And then there were the loans taken out in other people’s names. He was a warehouse stock controller who, with shift allowance, was picking up around £3k a month. He was losing thousands a month, patched up with more loans. A really nice, pleasant well mannered guy living a massive lie.

I had a Paddy Power account, originally signed up for for the Grand National. it got used a few times a year but nothing more than £5-£10 a go. One evening there was a footie match which I decided to have a flutter on. £80 in the pocket and the account closed… That was, probably, 8 yrs ago. Not had a bet since. Betting has never really got me buzzing…