From the sublime to the ridiculous!!!

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My handicap is 16, joined my new club a month ago and have played 6-7 rounds so far, scores between 84 (twice) and 93. Some comp rounds and some practice rounds.

Played a social game on Friday with a couple of mates on one of the courses at the new club. Started off well, everything felt good with the swing, missed a putt on 9 for a front nine 39, 40 equalled my best ever front 9. (+4)

Went double bogey, bogey, double bogey on 10, 11 and 12. Then something happened that I can't explain. I played the next 6 holes in 2 under the card, with birdies on 15 and 17. Stood on the 18th tee knowing that a par would see me break 80 for the first time ever.

Drove down the left, not my best of the day but left me 185 to the green. Hit a 4 iron to the fringe at the front of the green, lagged a putt to 2 feet, then (shaking) rolled it in to shoot 79.

Absolutely buzzing, even though it wasn't a comp round and there was nothing on it really, I saw it as a major milestone for me. Had a big smile on my face all evening. (Mrs Break90 didn't really understand my joy but realised I had done 'something good!!)

Then my thoughts turned to the comp on Saturday morning. Filled with confidence I met up on the first tee (the other course, incidentally) with my playing partners, then proceeded to chomp round the front 9 in 47, for 14 points. Finished with 31 points (back 9 was much better), 91 shots and a severely damaged sense of pride.

I am honestly over the moon to have shot my best ever round on Friday, and I know that as a 16 hcp I should maike the most of the purple patches that occasionally just turn up then disappear just as quickly.

Just goes to show that the game of golf is a cruel mistress I suppose.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Excellent shooting particularly if the course was at its full yardage and it'd be safe to say that another few rounds like that that you'll come down further.

As a 15h that's my target for this coming season so can well understand your elation.

Well played.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed reading that and felt your excitement. The thing is you have done it now and although you did not do it the following day you have gained something that you can hold on to. I would bet you will be regularly in the low 80s early 70s in the summer season.

Great job!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very well played.
That is amateur golf though,ups and downs.
Its amazing how you can go to bed,then wake up and shoots 10 -20 shots
more.
Are you going to change you forum name to Break70 because you broke 80:D

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good shooting congrats on a great milestone to break and knowing you left some out there too!
You can never tire of signing for a score in the 70's :clap:

But the golfing gods do extract revenge as you have already found out! :)

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks all, I'm just hoping it wasn't just a freak accident, never to be repeated!!!

think I'll keep the forum name, it was my first goal when I registered last year, having spent three months getting back into regular golf, couldn't get the ball off the tee and shot 12 straight scores in the 90's.

goal for this year is to get the hcp down to 12 by playing as many qualifier comps as possible from April through to October.

oh forgot to mention, managed to snap my 6 iron shaft during Saturdays round, a tree root just beneath the surface when chipping out sideways........

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
your problem was thinking you had cracked it on the friday! the golfing gods don't like that, so they slapped you in the face with a wet fish and relegated you back to the real world.

Well played for friday, I broke 80 in 2012, a feat i have yet to repeat! even though now my course is par 69!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I first shot under 80 a few years ago and thought that the game of golf was mine to taunt at will.

Last summer (2 years later) I finally did it again...

Haven't had another one since. Hopefully now you're a member you'll be able to get enough rounds in to bring a level of consistency which still eludes me.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all, I'm just hoping it wasn't just a freak accident, never to be repeated!!!

think I'll keep the forum name, it was my first goal when I registered last year, having spent three months getting back into regular golf, couldn't get the ball off the tee and shot 12 straight scores in the 90's.

goal for this year is to get the hcp down to 12 by playing as many qualifier comps as possible from April through to October.

oh forgot to mention, managed to snap my 6 iron shaft during Saturdays round, a tree root just beneath the surface when chipping out sideways........

That is RUDE!!! you were doing the right thing, pleasing the golfing gods by chipping out and they let your shaft snap... not nice!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is RUDE!!! you were doing the right thing, pleasing the golfing gods by chipping out and they let your shaft snap... not nice!

But he had P'eed off the golfing gods by thinking he was improving and growing in confidence!

The golfing gods are angry vindictive buggers you know.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But he had P'eed off the golfing gods by thinking he was improving and growing in confidence!

The golfing gods are angry vindictive buggers you know.

Yeah, I'm putting it down the them taking retribution for the smug grin I had for about 17 hours between finishing on Friday and teeing off on Saturday.......

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I'm putting it down the them taking retribution for the smug grin I had for about 17 hours between finishing on Friday and teeing off on Saturday.......

Yep, thats what happened but they will let it go and give you your grin back soon!!!

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's a huge milestone. Congratulations! The follow up round was just a blip.

You can change your forum name now. And if your form continues and you change it again, I'll buy you a beer! :D