Forged v game improvement irons

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, I posted on the ‘I bought today’ thread, that I recently bought a set of srixon z745 irons, more as an experiment and self indulgence. I currently play ‘power bats’ in the form of taylormade m2 irons and my handicap is 18. Had no real reason to want to replace them, but £130 for a mint set of the srixons tempted me. They’re beautiful.

Anyway, I gave the srixons a run out last week, not really expecting to be able to hit them. I played as well as I’ve played in ages, hit some lovely shots with them and scored 87, my best score this year.

Today I played them again, assumed that they’d catch me out and that I’d be longing for my power bats, but no, I equaled my pb of 84. They don’t go as far as the taylormade irons, I’m probably losing 10 yards per club, but the scores don’t lie.

Not really sure what I’m asking here or why I’m posting this, but, erm, thanks for reading.

D

Deleted member 3432

So, I posted on the ‘I bought today’ thread, that I recently bought a set of srixon z745 irons, more as an experiment and self indulgence. I currently play ‘power bats’ in the form of taylormade m2 irons and my handicap is 18. Had no real reason to want to replace them, but £130 for a mint set of the srixons tempted me. They’re beautiful.

Anyway, I gave the srixons a run out last week, not really expecting to be able to hit them. I played as well as I’ve played in ages, hit some lovely shots with them and scored 87, my best score this year.

Today I played them again, assumed that they’d catch me out and that I’d be longing for my power bats, but no, I equaled my pb of 84. They don’t go as far as the taylormade irons, I’m probably losing 10 yards per club, but the scores don’t lie.

Not really sure what I’m asking here or why I’m posting this, but, erm, thanks for reading.

Just better clubs full stop ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I went from cast strong lofted Ap1s to Forged Ap2’s to MBs and back to strong lofted AP3’s

Quite frankly I’m up and down with my swing, delivery and speed - I’m an amateur, I don’t play or practice like I used to and I completely suck because of that. Reality told me I need all the help I can get if I want to enjoy golf.

If you enjoy playing with them then that’s okay. It’s your game.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is no right or wrong.

I've gone from a set od Macgregor muscle backs, to a set of G400s with regular graphite shafts that are like cheating in comparison. But I'm not happy with the consistency or ball flight. So have a set of i210s on the way.

I'm positive the shorter irons will be easier for me to manage than the G400s, but the 5 and 6 iron will probably be the other way. But, that just means I will have to learn to strike them properly.

Whatever they are like, they will be easier than the old Macs

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some good points so far. Wondering whether I’m just more accurate with the srixons. My m2 6 iron is ridiculous, I can hit it 200 yards, but the 7i only goes 170. But perhaps I’m not as straight with them at that kind of range.

I hit the srixon 6 iron out of the toe today, really felt it twist in my grip and it went nowhere. If that was the m2 it would’ve gone a lot further and I wouldn’t have been able to tell why. Perhaps knowing what’s going wrong is more of a help than covering up the bad stuff.

Daft game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some good points so far. Wondering whether I’m just more accurate with the srixons. My m2 6 iron is ridiculous, I can hit it 200 yards, but the 7i only goes 170. But perhaps I’m not as straight with them at that kind of range.

I hit the srixon 6 iron out of the toe today, really felt it twist in my grip and it went nowhere. If that was the m2 it would’ve gone a lot further and I wouldn’t have been able to tell why. Perhaps knowing what’s going wrong is more of a help than covering up the bad stuff.

Daft game.
It's all very well learning what you've done wrong, but if you can't fix it that's just going to become annoying. I'd take the forgiveness every time. :LOL: