Footjoy DNA

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

As part of the lucky readers, I went down to Woburn last week to talk about the new Footjoy shoe, which now I can say is called "DNA" (stands for DryJoys Next Advancement).

We had a great introduction to all the FJ staff who were there, and also some special guests, namely Simon Holmes and Paul Waring.

We sat down and first had a presentation on the shoe, going through all of the technologies in the shoe which have been well documented online as they were sent out as "teasers" to certain companies.

First came “Comfort” in the form of the DNA’s 3D FoamCollar. Splayed out and separated from the whole shoe, it looks like a large, spongy gray moustache. But as part of the DNA, it helps mold the upper part of the shoe to the ankle, which is important because excess movement of one’s foot in one’s shoe during the golf swing can sap away power and compromise balance and comfort.

Next came “Fit” in the form of the DNA’s SnugFit Tongue. It is made of similarly squishy material to the 3D FoamCollar, which is meant to aid similarly in comfort. It helps hold the laces region of the shoe to the top of the foot without putting too much pressure there. Once again, the name of the game is both comfort and stability. The Tongue also aids with breathability, which is an underrated feature that becomes very important as the temperature rises.

Next in the Deconstructed Golf Shoe meal came the “Stability” course: FootJoy’s NitroThin TPU Outsole. TPU stands for “thermoplastic urethane.” This feature is the most obvious piece of technology on the shoe, which makes sense because it is kinetic base of the DNA’s total functionality. It houses nine softspikes pushed out to the edge of the shoe.. There are also all manner of ridges and pips in between the spikes that provide further traction.

The final part is “Cushioning”: the Xtra-Thick FTF FitBed. In layman’s terms, it is the sole of the shoe. It is very substantial, especially in the heel, and pretty thin in the toe, which is by design. The instep portion of the sole is molded slightly upward, which further ensures the snug-yet-comfortable fit that is a hallmark of the shoe.

As part of the presentation, we also had a sneak peek at some of the TV advertising that was going to be used for the FJs, which I think you'll love, and we also got a quick Q&A with Paul Waring about what it is like to play on the European Tour, how he copes with nerves, his first experience of playing in a big event etc

After this, we went down to the Woburn simulator and got fitted for the DNA shoe. Straight out of the box, the shoes were ridiculously comfortable, and even after a number of swings under the watchful eye of Simon Holmes, who gave us some pointers to improve our ball striking, the shoes were fantastic and remarkably stable. There was a little competition to see who could get inside of Paul's shot on a par 3...which no-one succeeded to do!

After a quick lunch, we went out and played 13 holes on the Marquess where the shoes were even better! The course was, erm, wet and so it was a great test of the waterproof capabilities of the shoes, and also how stable they were in slippery conditions. All 4 of us in the group did not slip once during the round, which is a testament to how good these shoes are, even in difficult circumstances.

These shoes haven;t left my feet when I have been on the course over the past week, and they will be coming with me when I go to Cyprus this weekend!

When they come into shops, give them a look. Try them on. You'll be amazed.

Thanks again FJ & GM for the opportunity!

D

Deleted member 15344

Best looking shoes FJ have done - that sole just like the Adizero. Where they as light ?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best looking shoes FJ have done - that sole just like the Adizero. Where they as light ?

Not as light as the Adizero, but still lightweight. FJ say they are more "right-weight" so that they still offer the stability etc required, whereas the lighter you make shoes, the more you could effectively "take-away" from what the shoes offer

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
can't see any mention of a retail price. looks like these might be replacing the XPS which only lasted a couple of seasons. so will likely be priced somewhere £130-£150ish.

in which case our survey says XX

D

Deleted member 15344

Not as light as the Adizero, but still lightweight. FJ say they are more "right-weight" so that they still offer the stability etc required, whereas the lighter you make shoes, the more you could effectively "take-away" from what the shoes offer

Cheers - the looks would tempt but not if they aren't as light as Adizeros.

Good day though

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, they aren't heavy. When they get to shops, pick them up....they really aren't heavy. I can't remember the exact weight spec, but they are around 20% lighter than Icons if i remember rightly

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure a heavier shoe is gonna make that much difference to stability .... not when were taking about a few grams of difference and having a 13 stone bloke stood in them!

I wonder how they will last in the grubbiness stakes though. Those little pin pricks on the side look like a magnet for all the wet muck and summer dust to me.

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure a heavier shoe is gonna make that much difference to stability .... not when were taking about a few grams of difference and having a 13 stone bloke stood in them!

I wonder how they will last in the grubbiness stakes though. Those little pin pricks on the side look like a magnet for all the wet muck and summer dust to me.

I wore mine through 13 holes of wet Woburn, and there was a bit of mud...however, a quick wipe down, and they were back to normal again. I have started to wipe down my shoes with baby wipes after playing, and it removes any mud/crap easily and leaves them looking great

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its quite interesting to listen to Pauls video of the shoes.
He mentions stability quite a lot and how important it is in a shoe.
So why have FJ introduced the spikeless,probably one of the least supportive shoes ive worn.
Absolutely no stability when a slight dew forms.
I have not tried the Myjoy spikeless but I presume they are the same.
Of course you might say these are for the serious player,however Paul mentions high handicappers
just going for a practice,to Adam Scott wanting these months before they were due out.
Are they really a shoe for both these levels.
Also a mention if you covered up the FJ you might not be able to tell they were FJ,i would
argue 99% of players would say they were FJ.
Yes im sceptical,however technology is being fired at us from all directions atm,sometimes
its hard to see where some these companys are going.
Is it spikeless or is it stability.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's certainly not cheap !

Agreed, they now fall into the category of 'really like the look of them but will have to wait until next year and see if I can find them in a sale'.

Would love to have the cash to whack out £150 on a pair of golf shoes but do not and could not justify that. Will have to stick to the current approach of buying older models of £100 plus shoes in sales for about £50.00

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seen a couple of comments about the visibility of the spikes at address, not sure I ever look at my shoes when stands over the ball, but could be a distraction when putting.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its quite interesting to listen to Pauls video of the shoes.
He mentions stability quite a lot and how important it is in a shoe.
So why have FJ introduced the spikeless,probably one of the least supportive shoes ive worn.
Absolutely no stability when a slight dew forms.
I have not tried the Myjoy spikeless but I presume they are the same.
Of course you might say these are for the serious player,however Paul mentions high handicappers
just going for a practice,to Adam Scott wanting these months before they were due out.
Are they really a shoe for both these levels.
Also a mention if you covered up the FJ you might not be able to tell they were FJ,i would
argue 99% of players would say they were FJ.
Yes im sceptical,however technology is being fired at us from all directions atm,sometimes
its hard to see where some these companys are going.
Is it spikeless or is it stability.

horses for courses, surely. You'd never wear spikeless in the winter, but in the summer, when it is dry and you have finished work and just want to get out on the course, you can.

Stability is important in a shoe...when swinging at 85ish mph you want to ensure you are connected to the ground fully!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I like the look and have always loved FJ shoes..........until the last 18 mths when I went through 3 pairs all with terrible faults in the leather etc over a 3 mth period. I'm loathe to fork out probably c£120 for a shoe that has let me down badly the last 3 times, pity.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Just noticed the circled dimples on the leather, wonder how easy that will be to keep the mud out and stay clean looking?