Following on from ‘how much should a visitor pay’ thread .

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How much if you could rent out to play a game of football at Wembley, OLd Trafford etc, or play a game of Tennis on the centre court at Wimbledon etc....

So by the same token, to play on a course where some of the greats have played and where there is a lot of history in the sport we love, why not push the boat out and treat yourselves to a round of golf which would take much longer than any of the other examples I’ve listed.

I think my most expensive days out on a golf course have been Sunningdale, Swinley Forest and soon to Turnberry, factor in overnight stays, food, drink etc and no doubt it’s the same as some people would pay to go away on a holiday break, but it’s my hobby so I want to get the most out of it, while I can.

I’ve spent more than the cost of those courses on a day at the bridge with an overnight stay plus travel, food & drink, so which is the best value, it’s all subjective.

My 3 days coming up down on the Kent coast will cost me the equivalent of £200 per round possibly once I take travel, accommodation, food, drink and then the green fees into consideration, is that value for money against the courses being played, no, is it value for a great 3-day social event to enjoy my hobby and have some banter with like minded people, hell yes.

My annual trip to play Cooden Beach is well over £300, for 1 day of golf, on Smiffy’s goat track ️

i Get where you’re coming from, though I don’t think we should take into consideration other things like accommodation etc because they are hugely variable and person specific.

Im a huge fan of Liverpool F.C. but I really would never spend £200-300 to play football at Anfield unless I was playing with Stephen Gerrard himself!

In the same vein I’d understand if one paid £300 for a package at a ‘special’ golf course. Like a round of golf, stay at the hotel, breakfast and dinner, or a guided historical tour or something. But to pay that amount of money just to play one round and no more still feels like overkill 😌

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think it was about £70 or so but to offset I've played the same course for free too!

Guessing the next thread might well be how many rounds of golf have you played for no green fee ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
But you really do have to have experienced a round at a top top notch course to understand how different say, Sunningdale feels, compared to a £25 course. As fish says, the Kent Links Tour in February plays at 3 world renown links courses they are just brilliant but the food alone would cost more than your £25 - however we do get a very good deal.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think many of you undervalue the cost of playing and experiencing playing golf and some of the country’s best golf courses. In the grand scale of things, £50 is buttons nowadays. Most people can’t fill their cars with fuel for that never mind how much a night on the beer costs with taxi fares etc.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
think ive paid £100 to play woburn before

this year I believe our society deal is £140 including bacon roll, 18 holes on the marquess, lunch then as many holes on the duchess as we can fit in before sunset

not an awful deal

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The most I've ever paid for a green fee, out of my own pocket, was about £60-65
That was to play Wynyard, over a decade ago
I've played much better courses, but either as a members guest, cheap green fee, or a freebie via a member.

I've not played any grand open venues, would defenitely be interested in doing so, but I'd not pay £200 plus to play anywhere TBH
But that's just me......

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Think I’ve paid a couple at £195. Last time at St Andrews also included caddies, so somewhere ove £200 I think.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think many of you undervalue the cost of playing and experiencing playing golf and some of the country’s best golf courses. In the grand scale of things, £50 is buttons nowadays. Most people can’t fill their cars with fuel for that never mind how much a night on the beer costs with taxi fares etc.

Good point Martin. I'm the opposite to some one here you would have to pay me to play some of the Micky Mouse courses in the US. if i wanted to see pristine flower beds id go to a botanical garden;)
Give me UK links any day
Ive been lucky enough to play a few open venues for free, but would pay the going rate for any of them if thats what it meant to play them. last year played the old course and i think that cost me over £200 with the caddie and tip. I would probably do it again.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Think I’ve paid a couple at £195. Last time at St Andrews also included caddies, so somewhere ove £200 I think.

The most I've ever paid for a greenfee, does that mean for me individually, or for the family as a whole? Given that I normally have to pay for all three of us if we're going somewhere special.

I paid £220 for both Sunningdale courses, the same for both Berkshires and both Walton Heath, and also for St Andrews Old Course + Eden.

The St Andrews trip was a bit special, so I also paid for Caddies, so closer to £300, and yes, I did this for the three of us, so technically the greenfee came closer to £1000. Haven't factored in the accomodation and travel to get there from the south of England.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The most I've paid is about £60/70 to play Alwoodley with the NW forummers. Don't think at my level I'd pay much more than that at the moment.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
£110 to play Formby August just gone. Worth every penny.

I'd pay up to a grand to play Augusta...easy to say when you know you'll never get the chance :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We paid $199 to play Sawgrass it was awesome and you must do it if you have the chance.
The history alone when you remember all the shots you watched on telly.
The thing that struck me is how well they welcome you , they want you to be there which is more than I can say of some of the top UK courses they tolerate you.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think to date, the most I have paid is 35 euro and that was for Slieve Russell in Ireland which is a top 100 Irish course. I am playing Portmarnock hotel links on Saturday which is 50 euro so that will top it! And that is for a UK top 100 course, albeit it is number 92 but still a bargain I think

D

Deleted Member 1156

i Get where you’re coming from, though I don’t think we should take into consideration other things like accommodation etc because they are hugely variable and person specific.

Im a huge fan of Liverpool F.C. but I really would never spend £200-300 to play football at Anfield unless I was playing with Stephen Gerrard himself!

In the same vein I’d understand if one paid £300 for a package at a ‘special’ golf course. Like a round of golf, stay at the hotel, breakfast and dinner, or a guided historical tour or something. But to pay that amount of money just to play one round and no more still feels like overkill 😌

To put it into perspective, if Liverpool got to the Champions League final in a foreign city, it would probably cost you in the region of £300 to £500 for flights, hotel, ticket, food, drink etc and that is only to watch not play. Plus you could watch it for free on TV. So paying £200 for the experience of a top course now doesn't look quite so bad

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I had a 4 round package and a week at the Sawgrass Marriott for great value when I went. DO not just go and play, it will sting!

Was in St Andrews last May, paid £170 for the Old Course, that's lots, but you don't do it every day. (and I am paying twice for Mrs too!) We called in at Kingsbarns and they wanted £240, so for the first time in my life, I thought "nuts to that" we'll do that on another trip!

I was asked to do a review of the Grove, near Watford, and got reimbursed for the expenses... breakfast, lunch and 18 holes for 2 people was over £500. Great place, great service, like the course, but drove out of there thinking, £500? Really??

This conversation is relative to your income. I'm freelance, so when I am earning, I am doing fine, but at other times, I am not earning! So depends when I am asked the question....

...I am keen to play Pebble Beach, so expect to get slapped a bit..only Troon and Prestwick left on the Open Rota, so will have to go there.

Market forces eh?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a 4 round package and a week at the Sawgrass Marriott for great value when I went. DO not just go and play, it will sting!

Was in St Andrews last May, paid £170 for the Old Course, that's lots, but you don't do it every day. (and I am paying twice for Mrs too!) We called in at Kingsbarns and they wanted £240, so for the first time in my life, I thought "nuts to that" we'll do that on another trip!

I was asked to do a review of the Grove, near Watford, and got reimbursed for the expenses... breakfast, lunch and 18 holes for 2 people was over £500. Great place, great service, like the course, but drove out of there thinking, £500? Really??

This conversation is relative to your income. I'm freelance, so when I am earning, I am doing fine, but at other times, I am not earning! So depends when I am asked the question....

...I am keen to play Pebble Beach, so expect to get slapped a bit..only Troon and Prestwick left on the Open Rota, so will have to go there.

Market forces eh?

Yeah this is a big thing for me unfortunately. Golf is expensive enough as it is for me. Paying 20 quid per weekend to play a round, plus the odd mid-week trip to the driving range and it's already 100 quid a month. I can't picture paying upwards of 50 for a round unless I was earning at least double what I do now! Maybe if I stopped spunking all my spare money on new sticks... nah.

I live in Watford so I would love to play the Grove but it's just crazy money. I went there once for a free Titleist Thursday driving fitting. Nice place!

PCWOX

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played The Grove three times. Fantastic track and they look after you very well there. It's not too bad if you can get a good deal, or play it in Summer on twilight rate.
To answer the question, think the most I paid would be about 300 Dollars for Harbourtown Golf Links a couple of years ago. Absolutely stunning place and would pay that again if I go back to South Carolina :thup:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Market forces eh?
I really enjoyed Prestwick. Old fashioned course not to long very quirky.

First tee is a pressure shot you are right next to a railway platform and everyone leans on the wall to watch yo tee off.
Its only 295yds par 4 I think but a tough hole to par.
Cardinal bunker is biggest I have seen I had to hit 3wood to get out.
really great course ,you will love it if you like the history of the game.