Following on from ‘how much should a visitor pay’ thread .

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
What’s the most you’ve paid or willing to pay for a round of golf?

Paid £300 all in to play Sawgrass . If I ever find myself on the west coast of the states I’d love to play Pebble Beach which I think is near the £400 mark . Bucket list courses and wouldn’t be making a habit of it . In Britain I don’t think I could justify anything over £100 .

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Paid £300 all in to play Sawgrass . If I ever find myself on the west coast of the states I’d love to play Pebble Beach which I think is near the £400 mark . Bucket list courses and wouldn’t be making a habit of it . In Britain I don’t think I could justify anything over £100 .

Turnberry and Sunningdale are my biggest espenses so far. I think a couple of £100’s would be my limit course dependant atm.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

You see Sawgrass, Pebble Beach etc I’d pay handsomely for. Top UK links courses not so much.
*dons tin hat*

D

Deleted member 15344

So some people would pay fortunes for US courses but not for UK courses ? May I ask why ?

Most I have paid I guess is for Birkdale and I would be happy paying whatever is needed to play any top 100 UK course - except the Belfry overpriced and overrated potato field

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Im not a massive links fan . But Both the Trump courses in Scotland are on my radar . The Belfry is another that id love to play .

Ive played the Brabazon half a dozen times. Never paid more than £55 for it whatever time of year. Always enjoy it, think it’s very scoreable but punishes quite well too.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
So some people would pay fortunes for US courses but not for UK courses ? May I ask why ?

Most I have paid I guess is for Birkdale and I would be happy paying whatever is needed to play any top 100 UK course - except the Belfry overpriced and overrated potato field

Ive always favoured American style golf over British TBH . Love the whole manicured pristine look of them .

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Because unless you are based in the states then your window of opertunity to play these specific courses Is much much smaller.

I’d pay top whack for a big name US course over pretty much any in the UK

Mainly because I know that you can pretty much play 90% of the UK top 100 for less than a 150 if you are patient and flexible.

In the US I’d pay a monkey to get on one of the big names like pebble beach, bay hill or similar.

Last edited:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yep. $400 dollars a night to stay at the Marriott and play Sawgrass and that was about 5 years ago.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As best as I can recall, I think the most I ever spent on a round of golf was £26. Richings Park on my birthday last year.

For a nice course I'd pay up to 30, for a really nice one, maybe 40. I can't picture myself ever paying 50 quid for a round.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Most I've paid was £150 for The Faldo@ Emirates. But only paid that as I doubt I'll be back in Dubai again in the near future - and even if I am with time to play. But I had the time (and the Mrs had just spend £700 on a diamond ring) so I treated myself.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No wonder so many get put off golf. £100-300 for hitting a tiny ball around some grass is absolutely crazy to me. Maybe as a beginner there’s something in those courses I’m missing but it just seems ott for any sport to charge that for a few hours of playing.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No wonder so many get put off golf. £100-300 for hitting a tiny ball around some grass is absolutely crazy to me. Maybe as a beginner there’s something in those courses I’m missing but it just seems ott for any sport to charge that for a few hours of playing.

How much if you could rent out to play a game of football at Wembley, OLd Trafford etc, or play a game of Tennis on the centre court at Wimbledon etc....

So by the same token, to play on a course where some of the greats have played and where there is a lot of history in the sport we love, why not push the boat out and treat yourselves to a round of golf which would take much longer than any of the other examples I’ve listed.

I think my most expensive days out on a golf course have been Sunningdale, Swinley Forest and soon to Turnberry, factor in overnight stays, food, drink etc and no doubt it’s the same as some people would pay to go away on a holiday break, but it’s my hobby so I want to get the most out of it, while I can.

I’ve spent more than the cost of those courses on a day at the bridge with an overnight stay plus travel, food & drink, so which is the best value, it’s all subjective.

My 3 days coming up down on the Kent coast will cost me the equivalent of £200 per round possibly once I take travel, accommodation, food, drink and then the green fees into consideration, is that value for money against the courses being played, no, is it value for a great 3-day social event to enjoy my hobby and have some banter with like minded people, hell yes.

My annual trip to play Cooden Beach is well over £300, for 1 day of golf, on Smiffy’s goat track 😜😏🏌️