Following on from ‘how much should a visitor pay’ thread .

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For me money is about creating experiences and memories, not owning "things". So yes, I have paid to play St Andrews, stayed and played at Turnberry. And the memories of the hairs on the back of the neck being raised when you address the ball on the first tee of the Old Course then birdie it, of being first out at Turnberry and feeling as though you had such a place to yourself are priceless and therefore well worth the expense. Looking forward to Birkdale and Lytham this Autumn - yes they are expensive, but the few days away with great mates doing what I love in such historic places will create experiences and memories that are well worth the money that I have worked hard for.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As best as I can recall, I think the most I ever spent on a round of golf was £26. Richings Park on my birthday last year.

For a nice course I'd pay up to 30, for a really nice one, maybe 40. I can't picture myself ever paying 50 quid for a round.

Out of interest, what do you consider to be the nicest course you have played?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'll be paying just over 200 notes to play Birkdale in July and that will be the most I've ever paid. I've played a fair few between 100 and 150 but also played some top courses (Swinley and Sunningdale) very cheaply.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, what do you consider to be the nicest course you have played?
I don't know really. I haven't played any real top notch courses (obviously, given my parameters of how much I'll pay) so I only have two categories - courses I like and courses I don't! Haha. So I haven't really ranked them. Richings Park, Pinner Hill and Aldenham are all quite nice courses I played last year. Shendish Manor was also nice, did a weekend there for my 'family stag do'.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know really. I haven't played any real top notch courses (obviously, given my parameters of how much I'll pay) so I only have two categories - courses I like and courses I don't! Haha. So I haven't really ranked them. Richings Park, Pinner Hill and Aldenham are all quite nice courses I played last year. Shendish Manor was also nice, did a weekend there for my 'family stag do'.

I've made a list of all the courses I want to play in my local area that I haven't yet played, and have then worked out the cheapest way of doing so.

Actually, when it comes down to it, if you can be a bit patient with when you play, affordable golf is available at a lot of clubs that might otherwise be £50 or more at the weekend (if indeed visitors are allowed at the weekend at all).

I really enjoy playing different courses, in particular because I'm now in the same position as you being a member of a club attached to a muni and paying a green fee every time I play. So other than playing comps or if I particularly want to play early on a Saturday / Sunday, I tend to play elsewhere on of peak rates at courses I've always wanted to play. This is the main benefit I think of not being committed to a club upfront with a £1,000 (plus or minus) membership.

As to the most I've paid for a round, it's probably not that much actually, £40 I think, for Tandridge on a twilight deal. Bargain.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me money is about creating experiences and memories, not owning "things". So yes, I have paid to play St Andrews, stayed and played at Turnberry. And the memories of the hairs on the back of the neck being raised when you address the ball on the first tee of the Old Course then birdie it, of being first out at Turnberry and feeling as though you had such a place to yourself are priceless and therefore well worth the expense. Looking forward to Birkdale and Lytham this Autumn - yes they are expensive, but the few days away with great mates doing what I love in such historic places will create experiences and memories that are well worth the money that I have worked hard for.

Could not disagree with anything of this post.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've made a list of all the courses I want to play in my local area that I haven't yet played, and have then worked out the cheapest way of doing so.

Actually, when it comes down to it, if you can be a bit patient with when you play, affordable golf is available at a lot of clubs that might otherwise be £50 or more at the weekend (if indeed visitors are allowed at the weekend at all).

I really enjoy playing different courses, in particular because I'm now in the same position as you being a member of a club attached to a muni and paying a green fee every time I play. So other than playing comps or if I particularly want to play early on a Saturday / Sunday, I tend to play elsewhere on of peak rates at courses I've always wanted to play. This is the main benefit I think of not being committed to a club upfront with a £1,000 (plus or minus) membership.

As to the most I've paid for a round, it's probably not that much actually, £40 I think, for Tandridge on a twilight deal. Bargain.
Yeah, me and my pals do similar. Without feeling tied to play our course every week to get your money's worth, we're free to play elsewhere twice or three times in the month. We have a handful of other local courses that we often play, then every now and then we'll branch out to a new one, often getting a cheap deal through Tee Off Times or simply playing after a certain time on Sunday afternoon when they often have cheaper rates.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Excellent post. Personally never paid more than £20/25 . I may be prepared to pay into the hundreds if the right opportunity came up....but my I would struggle paying such amounts for one round

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site

Couldnt have said it better myself .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The most I have ever paid to play is £25.

I have played lots of great courses around Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire simply because I pay a lot of opens and we have matches against courses like Burnham and Berrow, Ferndown, Parkstone and Broadstone.

At the end of the day it just a game of golf I have a lot of other things I would rather spend my money on.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Because unless you are based in the states then your window of opertunity to play these specific courses Is much much smaller.

I’d pay top whack for a big name US course over pretty much any in the UK

Mainly because I know that you can pretty much play 90% of the UK top 100 for less than a 150 if you are patient and flexible.

In the US I’d pay a monkey to get on one of the big names like pebble beach, bay hill or similar.

Slight humble brag but me and 3 of my mates have an offer to play BayHill with someone who has been on the PGA tour when we go over to Florida this Easter. But we are not sure if we should accept as none of us have played golf for a long time, so the chances of embarrassing ourselves in front of fellow golfers at such a prestigious place, especially a tour pro who will be out driving us by at least 80 yards, are high. But I expect we will as it nearly falls into one of those 'money can't buy' experiences.

Most I've ever paid is what I paid for the Trump Aberdeen/Carnoustie GM trip a few years ago. Not sure what it worked out as per round, it was a lot less than the advertised green fee, but that was as high as I would go. I have played The Blue Monster for free as a mate is a member of Doral and I think the standard visitors green fee was something like 450 dollars at the time. Which to be honest I thought was an absolute rip off, but as already mentioned, some people will be happy to pay that for the 'experience' which is fair enough, it's their money, it's not as if anyone is forcing them to play.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll be paying just over 200 notes to play Birkdale in July and that will be the most I've ever paid. I've played a fair few between 100 and 150 but also played some top courses (Swinley and Sunningdale) very cheaply.
birkdale is awesome .
The green surrounds and approaches are like billiard tables.
The whole place is class enjoy

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
We paid $199 to play Sawgrass it was awesome and you must do it if you have the chance.
The history alone when you remember all the shots you watched on telly.
The thing that struck me is how well they welcome you , they want you to be there which is more than I can say of some of the top UK courses they tolerate you.

So true with the welcome part there chub.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You can play BayHill whenever you like, you just have to be staying there, just book a night onsite and you can play it.

im looking to play sawgrass this August when I’m in Florida, should be around $450 I think, so about £350. Not cheap, but it won’t bankrupt me and I want to play there, so I can justify it.

domestically, I think Woburn is probably the most I’ve paid to date, it was about 180 for the day, but that included food and 36 holes.

ive recently paid 200 in a charity auction to play at Loch Lomond, in a 4ball with Gordon Sherry. Again, not cheap, but added value of seeing a very good player up close, and on a course that it’s otherwise fairly tough to get on, so for me it’s worth it.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slight humble brag but me and 3 of my mates have an offer to play BayHill with someone who has been on the PGA tour when we go over to Florida this Easter. But we are not sure if we should accept as none of us have played golf for a long time, so the chances of embarrassing ourselves in front of fellow golfers at such a prestigious place, especially a tour pro who will be out driving us by at least 80 yards, are high. But I expect we will as it nearly falls into one of those 'money can't buy' experiences.

You should definitely take the opportunity to play Bayhill. How often do you get to play a PGA tour course?

I had two rounds when I stayed there and in the first one I was paired up with a guy who was going to play a round with Bubba the next day. His father owned a coal company in Pennsylvania and they were members of Arnie's home course up there. He also seemed to hit it as far as Bubba and put my game to shame but did I enjoy, hell I did.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You can be quite savvy and ply the top courses for a relatively cheap price.

for an example we have played the belfry (brabazon and pga) both £40 not each.in January last year. The course was dead and the weather was dry.

st Andrew’s we did winter golf deal. £185 for the old , new and castle plus included £15 meal voucher. we played in mid April no fairway mats and again weather was cracking (see my profile pic). The deal is on on now but a little bit more expensive.

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
You can play BayHill whenever you like, you just have to be staying there, just book a night onsite and you can play it.

im looking to play sawgrass this August when I’m in Florida, should be around $450 I think, so about £350. Not cheap, but it won’t bankrupt me and I want to play there, so I can justify it.

domestically, I think Woburn is probably the most I’ve paid to date, it was about 180 for the day, but that included food and 36 holes.

ive recently paid 200 in a charity auction to play at Loch Lomond, in a 4ball with Gordon Sherry. Again, not cheap, but added value of seeing a very good player up close, and on a course that it’s otherwise fairly tough to get on, so for me it’s worth it.

For that price I’m assuming you’re also taking the overnight stay at the Marriott ?.

Im also assuming you’re based in Orlando and driving up ?

We did the golf only which I regret because you drive through the World golf village to get to Sawgrass and it contains the PGA world golf hall of fame . It’s only about 20 mins from Sawgrass . If you have time it maybe of interest to you .

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i Paid £325 for Queenwood, next was £280 for 36 at Sunningdale on European Amateut tour - a good deal at the time as less than the day rate but pales compared to last year's £220 deal that the guys sorted (3rd most expensive round)!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Most I've paid is about £70-75....
I'd make an exception for somewhere like The Old Course but I struggle to justify spending more than £100 on a round of golf and that would be a "special"