Morally wrong or just plain wrong… or not wrong at all?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty much of the same view just still niggling me and unclear where the line is; lets say its just a few practice holes solo after work and you lose three balls to water, no-one bats an eye to that litter yet you still deliberately chose to hit practice shots near/over water when there's perfectly good ranges etc
I know what you mean. But in playing the holes, practice or otherwise, you are not deliberately hitting balls into the water. I think the line is the deliberate act without any concern for littering or care for the environment.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just daft. Why waste the balls when you could give them to a youngster just starting to play.

Environmently irresponsible and indefensible

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just daft. Why waste the balls when you could give them to a youngster just starting to play.

Environmently irresponsible and indefensible

Mate I have tried this. I find hundreds of balls walking the dog. I used to give hundreds into a local golf club, I kept the Pro in practice balls and I also gave bags in for juniors only to be told after a couple of months not to do so as they were only interested in Pro V's or similar. Ungrateful wee so and so's!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst it sounds great fun it does also feel morally wrong in terms of litter and the environment. I tend to occasionally take a dozen one hit wonders and hit them at the range. I doubt they like it much but they get picked up and "recycled"!

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This thread did make me recall an older member telling me about how his dad used to paint golf balls to keep them looking new and how, when he was a kid he used to get a crack round the ear if he lost one. He said it made him a better golfer. In those days golf balls were expensive. Even when I stated playing you would use anything you found and valued balls much higher than we do today.
I can’t imagine many launching golf balls into the sea back then.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Whilst not a fan of firing balls into the sea, which is easy done on my track and with little effort! I'm not sure of the "moral" argument against it is the direction we should be going unless of course you live in the woods and s*"""there as well rather than flushing it into the sea with 7 billion others..... millions of directions to point this one,golf balls just one of our problems with looking after our dustball

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Mate I have tried this. I find hundreds of balls walking the dog. I used to give hundreds into a local golf club, I kept the Pro in practice balls and I also gave bags in for juniors only to be told after a couple of months not to do so as they were only interested in Pro V's or similar. Ungrateful wee so and so's!
same here

Wolf

Visit site
Had this thread come up about 4 weeks ago I'd have been all for whacking a few in at a lovely sunset and capturing the image on camera because its kind of iconic looking.

However that was before I watched a Monty halls documentary on the Galapagos, absolute stunning place however they took a boat to some of the unchartered beaches because they were made aware of how bad ocean waste is washing across the seas. I've got to say it was the most horrible thing to see happening to such a beautiful place, the amount of plastics and garbage washed up had totally ruined the eco systems. There were even golf balls there amongst the crap. It really made me realise the importance of disposing of things properly. I'd highly recommend it as a watch as it's a great programme and this was a small part of it, the rest was about how wonderful the world is and that's what we need to protect.

But now I'd have to say by hitting balls into the sea/body of water on purpose is morally wrong, we all need to do what we can to keep our planet healthy.

I'll also be first to admit like in your OP I have thrown a ball into water out of annoyance but won't do so again. I will try to make a carry but only if I'm convinced of making it.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I frequently smash 3/4 balls off the back of the practice net mats (in reverse direction) up to our practice pitching area knowing full well that they often go beyond the area in to the woods.

So I am morally guilty because I know that the chances of players going on a ball hunt in that area are pretty slim.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Celebration Golf Club in Kissimmee Florida has a driving range where you hit the balls into the lake.

2Lh0AIR.jpg

Toteo5v.jpg

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
CliveW - Is that near the town of Celebration? We walked around the town this summer, incredibly twee. A bit Truman Show though.

Back on point, no doubt a frogman goes in every so often to pull them out. Doesn't work that way in the sea.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Celebration Golf Club in Kissimmee Florida has a driving range where you hit the balls into the lake.

2Lh0AIR.jpg

Toteo5v.jpg
Mere golf and country club in greater Manchester has a driving range hitting into the mere.

My mates TM head came off his driver and was floating in the water.
One of the GKs got in a boat and saved it for him.