How many clubs have you owned over the years – what happened to them?

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I started just over two years ago and my first clubs were the Dunlop True Tech Golf set for £70 which consisted of:-

Dunlop True Tech Driver 12* - I actually used to hit this OK with a consistent predictable slice!
Dunlop True Tech 3W 17* - Had a steel shaft and couldn’t hit it to save my life.
Dunlop True Tech 4H 22* - Same with this club which also had a steel shaft.
Dunlop True Tech 6i-9i – I quite liked these clubs, quite a large heads providing confidence and they were forgiving. The longest club being a 6i eventually became restrictive.
Dunlop True Tech PW – Became the most used club in the bag in and around the greens.
Dunlop True Tech SW – Was terrified of using this for fear of thinning it, only ever used in bunkers.
Dunlop True Tech Putter – Blade putter with machined face, was alright, but I’m not fan of the ball “ping” off machined faces and prefer the ball roll you get with an insert.

I added the following clubs to the set:-

Lynx 5i with training grip – Ex-demo, used to fill the gap, training grip was helpful at the time. Much smaller sweet spot than the Dunlop’s.
Wilson Harmonised Trouble Wedge 64* - Mainly used in bunkers, was still in my bag until recently when I replaced it for the 60* version.

Where are they now? In my mates’ garage in case he or anyone else ever wants a game and don’t have a set. It would hardly be worth selling them as there isn’t much value in them and I’m actually quite fond of them! A year on and I decided golf was for me, so went and bought a set from AG after trying a few on their range. I paid £300 for the irons, £110 for the driver and £70 for the putter.

Taylor Made Super fast Burner 2.0 Driver HT 13* - Was never entirely convinced when I bought this, but AG did it as part of a bundle deal for me. Never really got on with it and sold it this Spring for £85 I think.
Taylor Made Burner 2.0 Chrome 4i-9i – I’ve always been comfortable and happy with these irons, especially the mid irons. I’ve had problems with the longer irons 4i, 5i, but even these are going quite well recently if remember not to try and smash them.
Taylor Made Burner 2.0 Chrome PW – Well used club for full shots, pitching and chip-putts.
Taylor Made Burner 2.0 Chrome SW – Fast becoming my most used club, full shots, chips, pitches and bunkers.
Taylor Made White Smoke Blade Putter – Really like the feel and balance of this putter, its heavy and has an insert which gets the ball rolling nicely.

I joined a local Golf club just under a year ago and the course is much longer than most of the other places I’ve played at. I realised that I needed to buy some woods to get around the course, I waited until the Spring for when the RBZ range came on sale:-

Taylor Made RBZ Tour TP Driver 10.5* - Think I paid £140 for this and feel confident and comfortable with it, when I get it right its straighter than any other driver I’ve hit, it isn’t however as long as the Burner I had. BUT when I slice it, it’s a massive miss right, I can also duck hook it, so I need to work on that consistency.
Taylor Made RBZ 3W 15* - £100 for this, and I find it difficult to hit consistently, perhaps I need more practice but I have more immediate concerns than learning what I consider a luxury club rather than an essential club. May have made a mistake buying this one.
Taylor Made RBZ Tour 5W 18.5* - Think it was £80 this, wow what a club, easy to hit and get airborne, great sound and long – almost as long as my driver. I hit it pretty straight or with a very slight fade, I do occasionally shank it but my main miss would be a fat shot with this.
Taylor Made RBZ Tour 4H 21.5* - Again about £80, nice club to hit and is usually quite straight, it fills the gap between the 5W and 4i. Main miss would be a shank I would say.

Recent additions:-

Wilson Harmonised Lob Wedge 60* - £18, bought to provide more flexibility than the 64*, not sure if it has enough bounce for my game though.
Taylor Made RBZ Tour 2H 21.5* - A recent brain wave, £80, I was thinking of using this as an alternative to the driver off the tee. I’ve only used it on the range and first impressions are that it can be a bit tricky to get the ball in the air using this club. I would needs more range time with this before it went in the bag, could be another mistake?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
as someone who started 30+ years before you, I don't think I'll list them in such detail..... :)

most are in still the shed though

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
2 sets , soon to be 3 :thup:

1st set ... 5th or 6th hand wilson staff blades , nieces got them to hack around with

2nd set .... Mizzy MP32's beautiful clubs still in the bag , bit like myself tho , getting bit old

3rd set Titlest (to be announced )

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice info, but I think you forgot to get to the point?

Current kit seems quite reaonable. What are you trying to achieve?

Have you had any lessons?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been playing 25 years and still on my third set of irons,3rd putter and 4th driver. They all get sold or given away.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice info, but I think you forgot to get to the point?

Current kit seems quite reaonable. What are you trying to achieve?

Have you had any lessons?

Wondering what people do with their old clubs i.e." - What happened to them?" sell them / bin them / pass them down. How common is it to change clubs, every decade, annually, fortnightly? Yes I have lessons, not sure the relevance.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had more than my fair share over a very short period of time, but I think I'm settled. There have been a few come and go since this set was put together but they've only reinforced that I'm happy with what I have. That includes an RBZ stage 2 driver up against the mk1 but there was no difference so was moved on.

I might add a 3 wood to match the driver and hybrid but then again I haven't really missed one.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I don't even want to think about thinking about the answer to this..:mad:
I'm taking no further part in this thread........:eek:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

1st set ... 5th or 6th hand wilson staff blades , nieces got them to hack around with

2nd set .... Mizzy MP32's beautiful clubs still in the bag , bit like myself tho , getting bit old

worth getting their name right BD as your going to be a proud owner.....loving the look of the 714 CB's:thup:

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
On my 3rd (and best) set of Ping irons, and in the bag currently is my 231st putter...

ebay and boredom is my worst enemy.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I start thinking about how many sets of irons, drivers, fairway woods and hybrids I've owned, I start to feel sick..... :eek:

.......so for that reason, like Ian........I'm out!! :eek:oo:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Wondering what people do with their old clubs i.e." - What happened to them?" sell them / bin them / pass them down. How common is it to change clubs, every decade, annually, fortnightly? Yes I have lessons, not sure the relevance.

Gotcha!

Been through far too many to list. Though there was a time when having a set in 3 different places was quite appropriate.

Sourced mainly from Ebay (or other forums) and that's where most of them ended up too.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Starting at the top

Drivers:
Taylormade 09 Tour Burner - sold to dad
Taylormade R9 - sold to dad
Mizuno MP 630 - sold to colleague

Fairways:
Taylormade superfast (not tippex) - sold to dad
Mizuno MP titanium - sold to forum member

Hybrid:
Mizuno MP CLK - sold to forum member

Irons:
Taylormade R7 - sold to golfbidder
Mizuno MP 32 - sold to scratch team member

Wedges:
Taylormade xft - sold to golfbidder
Mizuno MP T10 - sold to forum member

Putters:
Taylormade Vicino
Taylormade Rossa blade
Yes Robin
Bettinardi C03H

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Too many sets to remember. Mostly sold on. The only set I wish I had kept were the Callaway X14's. I have always enjoyed each set with the exception of the R9's from Taylormade which I really didn't get on with from day one

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Since my return to golf in 2006 after a 20 year lay off (before that I played with a half set from Argos, McGregor I think) I've had:

Drivers:
Dunlop
Mizuno MP-001
Mizuno MP630 fasttrack

Fairway woods:
Mizuno MP-001 3 wood
Dunlop 9
(both still in the bag)

Hybrid:
Mizuno MX700

Irons:
Ben Sayers Oversize
Mizuno MX-23

Putters:
Donnay
Odyssey White Steel

Pretty stable really.

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site

What's happened to them are they worn out? Grooves gone or shafts kaput?

Yosser

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Starting at the top

Drivers:
Taylormade 09 Tour Burner - sold to dad
Taylormade R9 - sold to dad
Mizuno MP 630 - sold to colleague

Fairways:
Mizuno MP titanium - sold to forum member

Hybrid:
Mizuno MP CLK - sold to forum member

Irons:
Taylormade R7 - sold to golfbidder
Mizuno MP 32 - sold to scratch team member

Wedges:
Taylormade xft - sold to golfbidder
Mizuno MP T10 - sold to forum member

Putters:
Taylormade Vicino
Taylormade Rossa blade
Yes Robin
Bettinardi C03H

Feel sorry for your auld fella, seems to have ended up with all your cast-offs? :D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My first set was a proper mixed bag, way back in the late 60's. They ended up in the all sorts bin in the pro shop when I upgraded to a set of Wilson Blue Ridge, circa '75. They were traded in sometime around '84 when I got a set of Accushnet Ryder II irons.They lasted till '92, when they were sold on for a set of Wilson Staff tour irons. But they were gone by the end of that year, and replaced by a set of Mizuno Faldo ID's, that lasted through till 2000, when they were replaced by a set of Titliest blades. The Titliests lasted a couple of years, to be moved on for a set of Ping i3's. And 4 years later, in '04, a set of Callaway X-18's went into the bag. A year later it was Callaway X Forged. They lasted for 5 years before being replaced by some Ping S58's, that lasted a year and a set of TM MC/MB's went in the bag.... for 3 mths.

And now there is a set of Titliest 712CB's.

12 sets in 45yrs...... and I've foolishly tried some Ping i20's, and was very impressed with the long irons - real easy to hit. But having been in the money for weeks I'm trying to resist.