Flags Out????

D

Deleted member 15344

Having the pin attended should indeed be confined to history.

Why ? Doesn’t cause any issues if someone wants it attending ?

Some like the flag in when they are putting from a distance as they put and then want it removed as soon as they make the putt so that the flag doesn’t have any affect on the putt

Seems a fair reason to me and it doesn’t cause any issues

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having the pin attended should indeed be confined to history.

Agreed. Just slows up play. Means your not at your ball getting ready for ready golf

Also increases people standing around the hole possibly damaging the area

Like you say just confine to history

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why ? Doesn’t cause any issues if someone wants it attending ?

Some like the flag in when they are putting from a distance as they put and then want it removed as soon as they make the putt so that the flag doesn’t have any affect on the putt

Seems a fair reason to me and it doesn’t cause any issues

The only reason it was ever introduced was because it was a penalty for your ball to hit the pin. That is no longer the case.

As to those who "like it", tough. Absolutely no need for this time wasting practice.

D

Deleted member 15344

The only reason it was ever introduced was because it was a penalty for your ball to hit the pin. That is no longer the case.

As to those who "like it", tough. Absolutely no need for this time wasting practice.

“Tough” ?‍♂️- why does it waste time ?

We still see Pros having the flag attended

Why can’t we just have whatever people want to do with the flag instead of one or the other - allow the people the option , all inclusive to people’s wishes

It doesn’t cause pace of play issues and it doesn’t cause issues to the greens.

They kept the ability for the flag to be tended for a reason - to allow people to have the choice

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not bothered either way as I never bother having it attended, but I have no problem with people that do. There is no need for it to slow down play if done efficiently, particularly in a 4 ball

Lol like every 4 ball does things correctly

That's why rules are even needed

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to play occasionally with a chap who wanted the pin tended from 10 feet, even if everyone else had putted with it out. That wasted time. Just like it does everytime someone asked for it to be 'tended

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to play occasionally with a chap who wanted the pin tended from 10 feet, even if everyone else had putted with it out. That wasted time. Just like it does everytime someone asked for it to be 'tended
Rubbish. He goes first while the others line their putts up. The attender lines his putt up after the guy he's attending for has putted out. First player picks up flag and pops it back in when last player has finished. Literally no hold up to anyone. If you can't work that out then you're part of the slow play problem.

D

Deleted member 15344

But it’s not everytime

It’s easily worked out - person closest tends - as soon as the person putts the flag comes out and the person tending can then put the flag down and get ready for his putt.

We are all adults here and capable of sorting things out - it’s just needs a bit of thinking. Just because some want it one way doesn’t means that the only way we should go.

There is no indication that tending will be stopped - so some players will continue to ask if it makes them comfortable because we are off golfers and respectful of others when we are playing

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rubbish. He goes first while the others line their putts up. The attender lines his putt up after the guy he's attending for has putted out. First player picks up flag and pops it back in when last player has finished. Literally no hold up to anyone. If you can't work that out then you're part of the slow play problem.

Lol if only. You know this only works in about 30% of golfers

For crying out loud we still have people who think single players have no standing on the course and those who refuse to play ready golf

D

Deleted Member 1156

Glad to see you didn't include attended in there. The modern world.
They have that option and should use it if they feel it will assist them ?

The ball hitting the flag is a physical thing but there is also the mental side of things. I will use anything that I feel gives me an advantage.

Mandofred

Visit site
All I know is that when I'm faced with a ten footer, I'd much rather have a gaping, uninterrupted hole waiting for my ball to drop. That big, fat 6" wide stick stuck in the middle doesn't half put me off.
Golf is a mental game.....if you don't like something it can kill you.....

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Is the word "pish" allowed on here? This was pre ready golf and I might have been referring to match play where it is still furthest from the hole to play first.

I am NOT part of the problem. ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
He is quoted as saying he will be leaving it in as much as possible

https://mygolfspy.com/flagstick-in-flagstick-out-2019-new-golf-rules/

View attachment 36176

How can you argue with those results? Such a strong % of an advantage leaving it in.

If you notice byrson leaves it in from distance and removes from close..backed up by the above data.

Interesting that they have chosen the speed of the putt to finish 3, 6 and 9 feet past the hole. Basically what this says is if your ball is still travelling like an express train when it reaches the hole then a stick will stand more chance of helping it than fresh air; who knew?

But given that, depending on your choice of expert, the optimum speed to finish past the hole is 9 to 17 inches, why choose these speeds unless you are pushing an agenda?

And if you are routinely hitting putts 9 feet rather than 9 inches past you need to learn to putt rather than leaving the pin in would be my thoughts.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is the word "pish" allowed on here? This was pre ready golf and I might have been referring to match play where it is still furthest from the hole to play first.

I am NOT part of the problem. ?
You can say pish as much as you like because that is what you are talking. 2 ball 3 ball 4 ball match/stroke whatever format you are playing its perfectly workable with a bit of common sense