Buchanan Castle Golf Club - Disgraceful open payouts

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Midland golf challenge winners 2018 - box of pro V1's for winning over a 3 day event, same as the daily winners. I feel your pain :-( and we didn't enter again this year.

I guess you vote with your feet for 2020 and if it hurts that much you move to twitter and add your comments re the rip off

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If Buchanan had the same entry fee basis (which would have been £186 instead of £30 for the 3 players) it may have been an interesting comparison....

Why would you pay £186 when you can get it for £60 on a well known website???

Crazy reply.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why would you pay £186 when you can get it for £60 on a well known website???

Crazy reply.
I cant help it if you chose to interpret a response in a particular way....
Buchanan Open was teams of 3 @ £30
The Open referenced was £62 per head = £186 for the same 3 people.

If you prefer
Buchanan Open = £10
Hindhead = £62

Doesn't affect the principle

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I don't quite understand why so many are comparing a comp fee with a green fee. I understand the bit about the comp fee being cheap compared to the green fee, a cheap way to play the course. The comp fee is just what it says on the tin, a fee to enter a comp. And if I'm entering a comp, and are lucky enough to win, I expect a fair return on that 'bet.'

I also expect the club to cover its costs for the comp, and to take a fair percentage to cover ongoing comp committee costs, like the end of year prize giving.

I'm not pot hunting or playing for money, as many seem to describe it. For me, its about fairness on both sides. A fair return, after club costs. I don't think a club taking anything over 15%, after costs, as being fair. So why are they taking that much? I'd hazard a guess that it could viewed as the entrants/visitors are subsidising the club's running costs over and above the sum I described earlier.

For all those that view it differently, fine that's your opinion, and I don't have a problem with that at all. I view it differently for the reasons given.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A fair return, after club costs. I don't think a club taking anything over 15%, after costs, as being fair.

Buchanan Castle had 37 teams of 3 = 111 golfers
Each player paid £10 =£1110
They made a profit after costs of £160
That is about 14.4% of the entry fee.
Seems fair

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Seems fair

So not 56 teams as we saw in the OP. It does seem fair, and I wonder when the OP will be back to apologise...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Seems fair

IF you believe one side of the story over the other.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why is it ?

It’s what we do at weekends for big events and no doubt many others do

Paying overtime

Yup green keepers deserve compensation! Presenting the course, putting up advertising stuff etc. Doesn't come for free.

I would hope open day profits come from more sustainable things like driving regular visitors or even memberships.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I accept that. However all the "extra" staff bollocks.

Its a fair point. How many staff would they have in on a club comp day, and do their club comps have less players and, hence, less staff on? I accept that the green staff may not turn in on most Sundays but may have cut the greens late on the Saturday night and raked the bunkers and swished the greens on the Sunday. 3 hour between 2 staff for both occasions. 6 hour at double time, 12 hours @ £30/hr = £360. Take the £360 off leaves £750. Paying approx £300 out, leaves £450... 40% profit?

Did they really only make £160 profit. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.