First Medal of the Season

DCB

Visit site
Well the clocks have changed, the daylight is getting longer and today, the first Saturday in April is our first Medal of the season.

I'm looking out the window onto a clear sky, sun is up but it's a bit on the cold side. Forecast says the wind will get up as the day goes on with possible light rain or snow showers later on.

Will this curb my enthusiasm... not a chance. I've been looking forward to this for a while now.

Looking to go out there and give it my best. It's early in the season so expectation is not too high but I'll enjoy it whatever.

Anyone else in the same boat this weekend ?

If so have a good day and enjoy yourself.

I might even manage a report on how I do later tonight.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had to tee off at 7:10 this morning in order to get a game but I should have stayed in bed. When I got to the course the thermometer was reading -2. There was still hail lying on the ground and thermals and base layers were essential but I was rank rotten.

Am off at a more reasonable time next week so I am looking forward to that.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
wish i was in your position. Damn i need to join the club soon! Think next season will be my first competitive season! Give anythin for a game right now!

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
7.07 tee off in the 1st monthly medal - and the clubhouse and bar were shut!

Played absolutely dreadfully with virtually no redeeming features at all. On top of that, managed to lose my putter cover en route.

Worst moment was the walk of shame on the 8th after the drive failed to clear the field and remained OB. This was made worse by the 3-ball behind who teed off without being waved through (which I was clearly going to let them, but when did manners disappear from the course?) and then two of them walked past me on the bridge by the tee and as I went to make some sort of comment about my bad luck, they both avoided eye contact and walked past without saying a word. At least the last player had a quick chat, but I was just gob-smacked at how rude they were. What's wrong with a bit of camaraderie on the course?

Do other people come across this kind of ignorance on their courses? You'd think at that time of the morning a little humanity would be welcome!

Oh well, next week's stableford can't be as bad...

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a lovely game this morning. We won the money aswell. Tee'd off at 7.50 a bit cold but it got warmer. A few dropped shots but had a few birdies. Finished 3 over, so not to bad for the BIG game tomorrow. Bring it on lads.

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our first medal of the new season was today as well.

What could have been..... ended up 7 over par but 5 3putts have left a sour taste. Should still make buffer so damage ain't too bad, just glad to get out for a game in good weather.

Hope your game was a good'un DCB

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Enlighten me please, what's 'buffer'?

Depending on your handicap you get a buffer on whatever the CSS is.

The par for our course is 73, but the CSS today looks like being 72.

Off 6, I am Category 2 which means I get a 2 shot buffer which should prevent my handicap increasing as I shot 80-6 for 74.

Cat 1 only gets 1 shot, Cat 3, 3 shots...etc

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just a roll up for me today and finally got under way about 8.10. Got the April stableford tomorrow. A round of ups and downs with 3 birdies and 5 double bogeys and a few pars and bogeys just for good measure. Driving wasn't as good as it has been but my putting was much better.

Weather was warm to start with but once the sun went in around the 9th the wind got up and it was pretty chilly. Just been down to AG to buy an Under Armour cold weather top for tomorrow as they are predicting freezing temperatures and a strong breeze giving a wind chill of -2

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Shot 78 today (-2 net) in some of the windiest conditions I have ever played in. Even better was it was a four ball better ball and my partner had a good start and that spurred us on, net 63 -8 should see at least a top 5 hopefully in todays top 16 qualifier competition.
Only downer was splitting a fairway then doublebogeying our tenth due to a virtually unplayable bunker lie right against the front lip with no backswing, still happy getting out as at least its not raining.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a lovely game this morning. We won the money aswell. Tee'd off at 7.50 a bit cold but it got warmer. A few dropped shots but had a few birdies. Finished 3 over, so not to bad for the BIG game tomorrow. Bring it on lads.

not too bad? 3 over? Are you trying to psyche us out before tomorrow :D? Well, its working. Thats a hell of a score and fantasy golf for myself.
Looking forward to the BIG Game and fingers crossed the weather holds out for us.

Oops. Just read your post as well brendy, 78 in the windiest condition ever, well played mate.

See you both tomorrow.

DCB

Visit site
Played early afternoon and after a perfect morning the weather decided to deteriorate rather quickly just after we started out. There was some gentle snow flakes as we putted out on the third, by the time we were on the fith it was blowing a hooly and big hailstones thrown in for extra effect. That set the tone for the next hour or so.

Somehow I managed to keep things going along not to badly given the conditions and but for a ball OB at the eighth it might have been so different. I ended up frozen, with a face as red as a well skelped a~~e but somehow managed to sneak in one below the css. Looks like the season will start well with a gentle 0.2 cut.

Now looking forward to some SUMMER golf, had enough of the winter golf now!

Sounds like others were a bit more fortunate with the weather than I was. Madandra has a cheek to complain about it being -2 at Shotts today, it's like that in July up there! ;)

All the best for those playing tomorrow

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Enlighten me please, what's 'buffer'?

A buffer is an amount of shots either side of your h'cap where you won't get an adjustment. It depends on the general score for any given competition.

f.w.i.w. I think it is a truly crap invention.

I was given a h'cap of 12 on re-starting the game and expected 14. My secretary said "if it's a bit too low, it'll soon go up".

EXCEPT IT BLOODY WELL WON'T!!! Because of the buffer.

I have entered 9 comps and only been adjusted ONCE. 0.1 up. That's it. I've played to 14 on 6 out of those 9, but not been nudged up at all.......so much for my handicap finding it's correct place.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
71 matey, the wind seemed to be across or against on every damn hole and I tried to allow for the big winds but over estimated quite a few times and hit a lot of right sides of the green inc a few misses. One example is a par 4 400 yd par 4 and it took a driver and 4 wood to get to the greenside semi! Chipped in over a nice deep bunker too so all in all, happy with +7 but there was room for improvement.
BTW, I'll be at massereene some time around 12.30-12.45 for qa practice putt or bacon sarnie, which ever comes first. Ill be in a Race Blue Octavia Vrs in case Im running late and have to sprint onto the 1st! haha.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Took the game up when I was 18 for a year and had a handicap of 18 with a club a few workmates had joined around 20 miles from home and had no car so golf was a once a week affair, gave up for another year then joined a nearby club and had a car so was able to play a couple of times a week and had lessons. These lessons I truely believe helped me get down to 6 in the space of a few months with a monthly medal and captains day gross helping me get there.
I had to give up my membership due to work and various other reasons. So when i moved house to Bangor 4 years ago the thoughts of golf came back and having an easier worklife by then I started looking out for membership again and started playing in a society with 5 outings a year. I joined bangor in December 2005 and after 3 cards submitted to the handicap secretary I was given a handicap of 6.0 again, I was quite happy with that.
My first year saw me slip to 7 by the end of the year and then last year was a disaster as I lost my ability to hit a straight ball and had a few close encounters with the hozzle kind. In july We had our second child and golf went out the window with only saturday golf getting me through the summer. Over the closing months of last year I managed to eek out some practice time and through the winter season I have been rock solid, so far of the back sticks this year (3 comps so far) I have not done worse than my handicap with a couple of decent cards in there too.
I hope to break 6 this year as I know I have it in me to get a lot lower with practice. New clubs etc are also helping, I am 31 now and feel I have a long long time still left for improvement so nothing less than a couple of shots off the handicap will be good enough this year.