First day of the week?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've just watched a CNN Youtube video and the host welcomed us to the start of a brand new week, Sunday 18th December...
Is this an American thing or have I missed something?
I always thought Monday was the first day of the week :unsure:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Always thought Sunday was the first day of the week…just Googled. Half the world says Sunday, and half the world decided in 1971 to make it Monday.

Pays your money, makes takes your choice.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always thought Sunday was the first day of the week…just Googled. Half the world says Sunday, and half the world decided in 1971 to make it Monday.

Pays your money, makes takes your choice.
Also always thought Sunday was the first day of the week - but could never understand why Saturday & Sunday were the weekend.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It’s an interesting question though. When I started work with BT, Saturday morning was part of the working week - Monday am through to Saturday lunchtime. By the time I left BT it was a 37 hour working week, apportioned to get every 3rd Friday off - or at least the section I worked in got every 3rd Friday off.

Others work shifts, and other’s shifts include Sundays. Some don’t work shifts but Sunday can be a working day, and if you ask farmers…

Is there even such a thing as a standard week now?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Agreed, it depends largely on the individual and particularly his/her employment. The traditional 5-day Monday to Friday working week no longer exists for many and I know that I certainly didn’t enjoy normal weekends for the best part of thirty years - a Saturday and Sunday off only happened twice every nine weeks or if I was on leave.

And now I’m retired? What’s a week? ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sunday is the first day of the week for me, my age and religion may well have dictated this for me.

I know calendars vary now but there was a time when the line across for each week always showed the first day as Sunday, as did a lot of week a page diaries I have owned

It seems since we went in to the computer age we have been dictated to by programmers to see Monday as the first day. (eg look at the calendar in Windows)
Probably fits in with This was mostly done in European countries, and is likely what the ISO 8601, first published in 1988.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sunday for me as work has always started on a Sunday and duties are "week ending" the Saturday

However the rest of my life seems like Monday so I have to work around it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first day of the week is Monday. Sunday is literally part of the weekEND. How the heck would it make sense to be the weekend and the first day of the week?? Boggles my mind how anyone would think Sunday is the first day of the week, honestly.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The first day of the week is Monday. Sunday is literally part of the weekEND. How the heck would it make sense to be the weekend and the first day of the week?? Boggles my mind how anyone would think Sunday is the first day of the week, honestly.
Why can’t a week have two ends? A piece of string does ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny just watching the news on the BBC and this thread came to mind.

They showed a calendar with the week starting on a Sunday.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Not religious and never have been then!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not religious and never have been then!
No, but why does that matter anyway? It's just a question of semantics and logic. "Weekend" = end of the week. Also for the nine to fivers you tend to start work on a Monday so effectively beginning the week there.

Agree with @pauljames87 anyway, Sunday is the day of rest and the 7th day I thought - not heard anything about God saying Sunday is the first day of the week, but happy to be pointed towards that bible passage. Would at least explain why some people think Sunday might be the first day of the week.

D

Deleted member 29109

My Outlook calendar says Monday. So I’ll go with that.