Favourite hole you've played and why?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Daft little par 3 over the cliffs at the very end of Dunstanburgh, with the castle as a back drop it's a stunning hole. Only about 90 yards from the yellows but I don't think I've held the green yet ?

I remember playing this hole in thick fog where the castle looked like it was floating on a cloud. Straight out of walt disney. Played havoc with our range finders though!

D

Deleted member 1147

Mine will always be the 1st on The Old Course. It's not the most difficult or beautiful hole on the planet but it is still the only hole that has ever given me tingles when I have stood on it. There is no comparison for me!
Do you think any other course could give you the same feeling - Pine Valley, Cypress Point etc - or is the Old Course more special to you?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Do you think any other course could give you the same feeling - Pine Valley, Cypress Point etc - or is the Old Course more special to you?

I think that the Old Course will always be the most special by far. I have been lucky enough to play some magnificent courses (not in the states though) but I doubt they will give me tingles in my hands when I tee it up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Probably the 6th at Pitlochry in the Highlands. After a strenuous five hole climb up the hillside, you are rewarded with just spectacular ‘worldie’ views. Teeing off from an eagles aerie high up the side of Craigower, you look miles down the Tay valley as the ground falls away before you to a fairway far below.

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
The 1st and 17th at JCB.

Think it's the 7th at Formby? - a sweeping par 5 through the pines with green tucked behind some dunes.

13, 15 17 at Hollinwell

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Played Silloth for the first time in years and loved the 6th there, favourite hole on The Old Course would be the 12th, favourite hole growing up would be the 17th at Wimbledon Park. Think I just like any hole that feeds in from the right

The 1st at Doonbeg another cracker, as is the 17th at Headingley and the 4th at Mach Dunes

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Probably the 6th at Pitlochry in the Highlands. After a strenuous five hole climb up the hillside, you are rewarded with just spectacular ‘worldie’ views. Teeing off from an eagles aerie high up the side of Craigower, you look miles down the Tay valley as the ground falls away before you to a fairway far below.
Strangely enough I hated Pitlochry with a passion during and after playing it.

For an elevated tee my favourite is the tenth at Cruden Bay.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Strangely enough I hated Pitlochry with a passion during and after playing it.

For an elevated tee my favourite is the tenth at Cruden Bay.
And also strangely enough ? an alternative that had leapt to mind was the tenth at Cruden Bay...though I loved Cruden Bay as I have loved Pitlochry. Also in the running was what was the 8th (now the 6th) at Dunkeld and Birnam (the gully hole with views over the cathedral) I was a junior member when it was a 9-holer. Great childhood memories of playing there many times with my dad and having my mum walk round with us.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The 16th at Port Royal Bermuda was pretty spectacular. A 235 yard par 3 cut on the rocky hillside over the sea. I played it with BlueinMunich on a breezy day and we both did it reasonable justice

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Honorable mentions to :-

14th at Heaton Park (maybe 15th now)

Its the 15th but I was about to suggest this, drive over the rhododendron filled ravine, followed by threading the eye of the needle through the gap in the trees to the green. Great golf hole.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My least favourite par 4 in Leicestershire, because it is the most difficult in the county. Maybe worthy in this thread as most have chosen very difficult holes.
Hinckley is par 71, CR 72.9 and SR 144 from the black tees.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a killer. You've got to keep your ball below the level of the trees otherwise the wind starts to effect the ball.

I used to aim front left with a fade and let it run in to the middle of the green.

16, 17 and 18 is a tough finish.

17th kills me because of the shot shape, always in the trees right and then it's a good 2 shots in or 3 if in the trees.