Top 5 courses played this year

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
There's a FaceBook (remember that?) group doing this and I thought it might be fun here too. Until it ceases to be fun, of course! 🤦🏻‍♂️

No need for an order unless you want to.
No need for reasons unless you want to.

In order of when I played them:
New Course at St Andrews
Sunningdale Old
Sunningdale New
Hankley Common
St. George's Hill

Over to you folk.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
London Club International - have played there before but just love it there.
Hankley Common - incredible place.
Silvermere - a few forgettable holes on the back nine maybe, but overall pretty unique.
Meon Valley - did a golf trip there, bit of a underrated gem I thought.
Farnham - nice track with great greens, I played well there which helps.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
La Manga West - just love that course.
Kingsbarns - needs no explanation
Roda - again, just love it, great layout and hugely fun
Renaissance - enjoyed it, expected slightly more though
Carnoustie Championsip - beast of a course

bungle_1981

Visit site
Had a very good year...

Old Course -
Played with mates after incredibly managing to secure a 4-ball. Glorious November weather. Shot a net level par. Loved every moment.

Ailsa, Turnberry -
Had a days holiday to take recently. Chased the winter sun and booked the night prior. Was paired with a lovely member. Played some fantastic golf at times, culminating on the 18th with a 6i approach to about 2ft followed by a birdie putt.

Queens, Gleneagles -
Actually played it twice courtesy of a work contact. First time out, it got rained off after 9 holes. Was invited back to enjoy a full round.

Prestwick -
Joined a friend who was celebrating his birthday. Struggled on the first 4 holes, before finally settling in. Was worried it was going to be a terrible day, but managed to rescue the round. Some incredible looking holes.

Balcomie, Crail -
Weekend away with the missus. Phoned up the day before, got a tee and was paired up with three americans who were baffled by the chat between me and their caddies.

TigerBear

Visit site
Had a very good year...

Old Course -
Played with mates after incredibly managing to secure a 4-ball. Glorious November weather. Shot a net level par. Loved every moment.

Ailsa, Turnberry -
Had a days holiday to take recently. Chased the winter sun and booked the night prior. Was paired with a lovely member. Played some fantastic golf at times, culminating on the 18th with a 6i approach to about 2ft followed by a birdie putt.

Queens, Gleneagles -
Actually played it twice courtesy of a work contact. First time out, it got rained off after 9 holes. Was invited back to enjoy a full round.

Prestwick -
Joined a friend who was celebrating his birthday. Struggled on the first 4 holes, before finally settling in. Was worried it was going to be a terrible day, but managed to rescue the round. Some incredible looking holes.

Balcomie, Crail -
Weekend away with the missus. Phoned up the day before, got a tee and was paired up with three americans who were baffled by the chat between me and their caddies.
Out of interest, how much were winter green fees for Old Course, Ailsa and Balcomie?

TigerBear

Visit site
This year I've only managed 3 (courses that I'd consider top) due to a shoulder injury in the latter part of this year, but in no particular order:-

1) Dumbarnie
2) Royal Dornoch
3) North Berwick

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
La Manga West - just love that course.
Kingsbarns - needs no explanation
Roda - again, just love it, great layout and hugely fun
Renaissance - enjoyed it, expected slightly more though
Carnoustie Championsip - beast of a course

Roda is a great course, but that long par 3 2nd is a massive design flaw. Effectively plays like a par 4, but one of those where you have to wait for the green to clear just in case - if the tee times are busy off the first, you're guaranteed to be backed up straight away on the 2nd. Other than that, it's a lovely lace to play golf.

Albo

Visit site
Difficult to pin it down to 5, I’ve been lucky this year!

Hillside - absolutely loved the course
Formby - Brilliant track
West Lancs - Again great course
Castle Stuart - great layout, clubhouse and experience
Royal Dornoch - one of my favourite ever courses

Other notable mentions;
St Andrews Castle, New, Jubilee, Nairn

Reactions: Zig

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Abbeydale - Stunning
Pike Fold - Love it to bits
Ormskirk - Amazing
Lindrick - Lovely place to be able to play golf at, and a real test of golf
Crompton And Royton - Hidden gem.

No need to go paying bonkers prices. All of these are superb places to play golf.

Albo

Visit site
Abbeydale - Stunning
Pike Fold - Love it to bits
Ormskirk - Amazing
Lindrick - Lovely place to be able to play golf at, and a real test of golf
Crompton And Royton - Hidden gem.

No need to go paying bonkers prices. All of these are superb places to play golf.
I played Ormskirk a few times a number of years ago, always thought it was a lovely track

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Think I’ve barely played 5 courses myself this year although I’ve visited a few with the youth - Hillside being the stand out of those.

The top rated course I’ve played would be Royal Liverpool - nothing else I’ve played would be on the ‘Top course’ radar, but Halifax stands out as a great course and great value.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Not played very many many this year and unfortunately some very not presented as well as they could be due to the weather we have had over the last couple of months, so in order of preference;

Newbiggin-By-The-Sea
Oakdale
Otley
Lytham Green Drive
Catterick

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only two “top courses” for me this year. Played lots of others but just not in the same league as:

Parkstone
Remedy Oak.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Non-UK Category:

Saadiyat Beach
Yas Links
Trump Dubai
Jumeirah Earth
Dubai Creek

UK Category:
Hankley Common
West Surrey
Sunningdale Old
Hollinwell
Sunningdale New

Reactions: Zig

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Roda is a great course, but that long par 3 2nd is a massive design flaw. Effectively plays like a par 4, but one of those where you have to wait for the green to clear just in case - if the tee times are busy off the first, you're guaranteed to be backed up straight away on the 2nd. Other than that, it's a lovely lace to play golf.
I don’t mind it personally. More time to sit in the buggy, soak in the sun and drink more gin 😁.
I’ve never failed to hit the green either so never really seen it as a really long ‘un.

When we were out in Nov, we were stuck behind a Swedish mixed 4ball and they were slow but very apologetic. They kept asking if we wanted through but we kept explaining we weren’t in any hurry and had plenty of “refreshments” to keep is going.