Fair price for a round of golf?

The Fader

Visit site
The "Top 100" or similar lists are arbitary views from a select few judges. I believe that often a course that has held top level golf is rated for that above all else.

Clearly that counts for something - but ultimately we (well 99% of us) are playing for for leisure and pleasure. We want just to play golf because we enjoy it and as others have rightly stated - the company is as important as the venue.

The best examples I can give for that is Ganton, which markets itself as having hosted Ryder, Walker and Curtis cup events. I walked away having paid a 3 figure green fee wondering what all the fuss was about. And Fulford - home to the old B&H Masters. Always in good condition but with no real memorable holes (The Langer tree is there but the hole is fairly non descript otherwise) and is split in 2 by the A64 dual carriageway.

The best course I have played to date is St. Mellion - which finds itself at the bottom end of a few such lists from time to time. I really struggle to believe there are 100+ better courses. I played it last year in April for £30 on a Tuesday afternoon, so not prohibitivly expensive. 8 rounds there or 1 on an open rota course is a no-brainer for me.

I could afford to pay an exhorbitant green fee occasionally but I choose not to - but for those that do - their choice. We all spend our money as we see fit.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
50 euro a round is the minimum here, not always with a buggy.

Having said that, I can get on Las Colinas at the moment for sinilar money - it's rated as one of the best courses in the country.