Fair price for a round of golf?

Lost_Cause

Visit site
After our round this morning we got back to the clubhouse for a quick refreshment before heading home and we were discussing what we all thought was a fair price for a round (18 holes). In our area prices range dramatically from as low as a pound a hole and as high as £11+ a hole, obviously the course maintenance and management at somewhere that’s £200 a round is considerably better than that of a place that’s charging £18 but is there actually enough of a difference between the two to justify the variance in cost (it’s 11 rounds for the price of 1).

We settled on that up to £36 a round seemed reasonable but beyond that and it starts to become an expensive endeavour, especially if its not for a special occasion (we play twice a week and I couldn’t imagine spending £400 for two rounds).

Whats the general consensus on what others feel is a fair price for a round of golf?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After our round this morning we got back to the clubhouse for a quick refreshment before heading home and we were discussing what we all thought was a fair price for a round (18 holes). In our area prices range dramatically from as low as a pound a hole and as high as £11+ a hole, obviously the course maintenance and management at somewhere that’s £200 a round is considerably better than that of a place that’s charging £18 but is there actually enough of a difference between the two to justify the variance in cost (it’s 11 rounds for the price of 1).

We settled on that up to £36 a round seemed reasonable but beyond that and it starts to become an expensive endeavour, especially if its not for a special occasion (we play twice a week and I couldn’t imagine spending £400 for two rounds).

Whats the general consensus on what others feel is a fair price for a round of golf?

Have paid £15 for a round and thought it a rip off, have paid £150 for a round and thought it was cracking value

Lots of factors and definitely no one size fits all but quality and condition of the course tend to define what its worth to me and whether I think its decent value or not

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
For casual pay and play then probs up to 50 for a round is acceptable. Although I've significantly more for some rounds, old course etc. If you're playing regular then membership is the best value. Those same courses that are 50ish will work out a fraction of That.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
£20-25 is about my limit, been keeping to it quite well this year and got about 7 rounds in this summer and the courses have been more than playable.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Depends what you are looking for. Just a knock with some mates where you don’t really worry about the course (layout and condition) then you’re in the ballpark. However, if you’re after a top class course then you’re looking at 3 figures usually.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'll only pay £36 a round for a special occasion. No way I would pay that much just to play golf normally. The only reason I am playing golf at all is because of the club membership. I play 100+ times a year and that brings it down to about £10 a round.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Paid £15 each today to play a lovely mature old school James Braid course in immaculate condition, it's not famous and it's not on the beaten track and there are other courses like that. Scotland used to be full of them until golf tourism took off big time.

My place is £60 a round at the moment - which I think is cheaper than it was a couple of years ago, it's a nice course and has a fair bit of history but I'd only pay that or more for a course if I was on holiday. But then again I've played a lot of the 'bucket list' courses when they were much cheaper - would I pay a couple of hundred quid to play the Old Course again? Yes because it's in a magical place, would I pay more than that to play Dornoch, or Loch Lomond again - I doubt it, lovely courses and if they are number one on your bucket list then they are probably worth it - but they are priced for Americans and Chinese tourists and people who have more money than sense.

Last edited:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Paid £180 to play Trump International and as a one off it was worth it , also played as a example Holyte in Kent for £18 and always enjoy playing there old school club but I love going there.

Generally £40 should be what I would think reasonable for a weekend round.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me, personally, abut £30 is my max which less than is than it cost for a visitor on our 18 hole course.

My away golf though is either matches, societies or Opens so no real idea of what it costs these days.

Mandofred

Visit site
What's a fair price for a shirt, a car, a pair of shoes, a bicycle ?.. etc etc.

All depends on what you're willing to pay, what you can afford and if you think it's worth it really.
I would then say.....you are buying in to the reason why so many people think golf is an elitist activity. £36-£40+ for a round of golf is ok? How many people (in the real world) can afford that on a regular basis? £180?????just to hit a ball with a stick in a field??????? £10 a hole???? You have too much money.

Sekiro

Visit site
Like most things in life, the cost is relative to your income, I wouldn’t dream of paying £200 twice a week to play golf, but I also only earn between £35-40k a year, some people on this forum will be earning 10x that so a £200 round to them is like a £20 round to me.

Do I think there is 10x the value in playing a premium course... I can’t actually say as I’ve never played one, I have played courses that are 3x as much as my local (£20) and yes there is a difference in how the course is managed, the quality of the greens, the better sand in the bunkers and the overall experience but the bottom line is;

It’s up to you (the individual) to decide if there is value in playing a more premium course or not, only you can decide if you feel that you are getting your monies worth.

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think £25 is a good price point for a visitor (so not at a peak time). I’d pay between £17-35 on average depending on the day of the week. It’s not quite worth my while going to a top course with my handicap yet, as apart from any views I don’t think I’d get the value.

I can understand why somebody might sometimes pay more to visit a top course but those kind of green fees are crazy for regular golfing in my view.

There are great courses at low prices so why not enjoy those.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i don't pay to play that often, I'm a member at a club and golf is cheapest that way if you play on a reg basis. works out about £5 a game or less.

for a one off game somewhere i really wanted to play, prob pay up to £200 ish

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Do I think there is 10x the value in playing a premium course... I can’t actually say as I’ve never played one, I have played courses that are 3x as much as my local (£20) and yes there is a difference in how the course is managed, the quality of the greens, the better sand in the bunkers and the overall experience but the bottom line is;
Doubt you'd get a course in better condition, brilliant greens, excellent bunker sand (saw too much of it) for £60 than the one (Kirriemuir) I played today for £15 - I was honestly blown away with the condition of the course.

D

Deleted member 1740

Paid £15 each today to play a lovely mature old school James Braid course in immaculate condition, it's not famous and it's not on the beaten track and there are other courses like that. Scotland used to be full of them until golf tourism took off big time.

My place is £60 a round at the moment - which I think is cheaper than it was a couple of years ago, it's a nice course and has a fair bit of history but I'd only pay that or more for a course if I was on holiday. But then again I've played a lot of the 'bucket list' courses when they were much cheaper - would I pay a couple of hundred quid to play the Old Course again? Yes because it's in a magical place, would I pay more than that to play Dornoch, or Loch Lomond again - I doubt it, lovely courses and if they are number one on your bucket list then they are probably worth it - but they are priced for Americans and Chinese tourists and people who have more money than sense.

Where do you play? if it’s the same place you Regularly post pictures of on here, it certainly looks worth the £60.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
It just proves that being a member of somewhere decent is value for money. £95-£115 a round at my place - that would have cost me Over £2k for summer alone.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Where do you play? if it’s the same place you Regularly post pictures of on here, it certainly looks worth the £60.
The one I most regularly post pics of is the Ashludie Links at Monifieth, the second and shorter course (It's just over 5000 yards of links) - you can play it for £30 - or a tenner if I sign you on.

The £60 course is Monifieth Medal - Open final qualifying course for Opens at Carnoustie back when that was a thing - and the first links Tom Watson ever played.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends. We paid Sunningdale and New Zealand a few years ago and got an absolutely great price thanks in large to Glyn (and everyone else who got involved in the organising including on the day) That was over £300 for the two days but add in the food (breakfast and lunch at both clubs) and the exclusivity of New Zealand then it was a no brainer to save up for and play. There are bargains out there but I feel it is always up to the individual to decide how much is too much and how much they want to play somewhere. I don't think there is a hard an fast answer