Fair price for a round of golf?

D

Deleted member 23344

Have paid £15 for a round and thought it a rip off, have paid £150 for a round and thought it was cracking value

^^^^^^^^
Broadly this ... different figures but same sentiment.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
£ 25 - £ 30 would be 'acceptable ' but ask me to play a one off round at a ' 'destination ' course, been lucky to play a few, and it'd take a deep breath a get the credit card out.

No different that seeing a good covers band vs the Rolling Stones

GBC

Diamond

Visit site
£42 the most I have paid so far. Anything more and I would look at getting it cheaper with a county card. If a holiday or break then ai would pay more.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It really depends. A lot of the clubs down here are steep but I guess it's market forces. I would probably go to around £50-60 around here but it would be very dependent on where (and when and the condition - drainage etc)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why some folk spend a small fortune to watch a football match, but don't question it. Just looking on the internet, a ticket for an Arsenal match is £85! That makes paying £100 for a round of golf great value for money. :eek:

a bit like golf the price for a game of football varies, even the price for the same club! possible to buy a ticket for £10 to see Arsenal, also possible to pay over £200. Some would say neither are value lol

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
If I can guarantee I’ll hit it well the weather is good and I don’t have anybody in front on the day I’ll pay anything. Most I paid for a single round was £140 For the Grove back on black comp.
it was hammering it down and I played the worst round of golf in my life.

A fair price is £20-£25.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very much depends on the course and occasion. I've paid 3 figures, twice, for premium courses on special birthdays. As a rule I would expect to pay around £20-£25 for a course locally. If going away for a golfing break I would go to £35-40.

The above gets you on some very good courses in the NE of England and Yorkshire.

Chico84

Visit site
I think location can affect price. Here in south London/Surrey a fairly average course may cost around £30 for a weekend round, whereas in other parts of the country you can get a decent course for a few quid more. There are, of course, exceptions but it’s something I’ve observed.

As a relative beginner I’m reluctant to pay huge sums simply because I won’t get the enjoyment from it that a better player would.

That said, I have paid a bit more (up to £45 - in the midlands) A couple of times to experience a better standard of course and have thoroughly enjoyed myself and found the golf a better experience due to the level of interest the courses provide, the quality and upkeep of them and the consistency of the greens.

D

Deleted member 3432

For anyone wanting value for money golf come to Silloth on Solway.

Book before end of September for 2021 and you will pay this seasons rate of £60 per day midweek or £70 per round weekend.

After 1st October the 2021 rate will increase by £5....

Not a bad price for to play a track ranked NO 47 in the UK :cool:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I set myself £200 a month limit for golf

My membership is £85

That leaves £115. So whatever fits in that

I smashed my course over summer so bought new wedges from the surplus

Over winter I'll have a surplus so few rounds at top courses could be fitted in

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Always like to play when i am abroad, my biggest regret was not checking out the Chang Mai area of Thailand which has some cracking courses at good prices. However i ended up at Krabi ( same holiday) for a week and checked out the courses there. They wanted topside of £200 for an ok course. Not a cat in hells chance. They said it was a special deal as well.
Best vfm courses i paid and played were in Ireland, about £80-90 per round i think to play Enniscrone and Carne and i loved it.
Over here, the guys on here put me onto a deal in the North east, Played Goswick, Bamburgh and Alnmouth for £150. It was a steal.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Golf is an expensive business to run properly. Some courses are well maintained and cost a lot to do so. Others are ordinary.
So prices vary. Yes, status comes into it sometimes, but after all, it is completely up to the player to decide.
Then again, what price your hobby?
If I said that some coarse fishing poles cost up to 3 grand and £1000 is not
unduly expensive, there are some here who would , understandably , think that was outrageous money for fishing.
Same happens with photography, or sailing etc etc.
Each hobby can be expensive or otherwise.
Depends how much you are into it, and what you can afford.
I would not criticise anyone for what they spend on their hobby, if they can afford it without neglecting their responsibilities.
Personally I would pay the big money for the condition and layout of the golf course etc, as opposed to its historical associations.
But, each to their own.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site

My membership is £85

My membership is £85

That sounds like a very smart way of doing it, though think my surplus would of gone towards a little outing, where bearing in mind the current situation i don't know ???

GBC

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Wherever I go I try and get my money’s worth by hitting as many shots as possible :cool:

I’m generally happy to pay £40 to visit somewhere new, but will pay more if the venue and occasion warrants it as a one off.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Best way to play cheaper golf is to befriend members of decent clubs, and pay guest rates. ? ?

Most I have paid for a round would have been the trips Glyn arranged, at Trump Aberdeen, Turnberry and Sunningdale. Worth every penny. ? Apart from that probably £125 to play Royal St George’s, on a glorious summers day, with three mates. Probably recovered some of the cost in winnings off Swinger and Shamalama.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The vast majority of my "away" golf is via a society I play in. I think the organisers do a cracking job in getting us good deals for courses in the south west and south wales. Usually £35-45 for coffee/bacon baps, 18 holes, a meal afterwards and a few prizes. I very happy with that.

I've paid 3 figures for courses on holiday in Portugal. Unlikely to do it here as I'd be worried about British weather ruining the experience.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Golf is an expensive business to run properly. Some courses are well maintained and cost a lot to do so. Others are ordinary.
So prices vary. Yes, status comes into it sometimes, but after all, it is completely up to the player to decide.
Then again, what price your hobby?
If I said that some coarse fishing poles cost up to 3 grand and £1000 is not
unduly expensive, there are some here who would , understandably , think that was outrageous money for fishing.
Same happens with photography, or sailing etc etc.
Each hobby can be expensive or otherwise.
Depends how much you are into it, and what you can afford.
I would not criticise anyone for what they spend on their hobby, if they can afford it without neglecting their responsibilities.
Personally I would pay the big money for the condition and layout of the golf course etc, as opposed to its historical associations.
But, each to their own.
Photography is big subject but it doesn't compare to the ongoing cost of golf at basic hobby level - for Portraits and Landscape (which is what most hobbyists do) then once you've got a camera - for a good one let's say cost of a major manufacturer full set of clubs, and like golf second hand is available. Once you've got your camera it costs little or nothing to take nice photos.

Now if you want to do wildlife or sports to a good level then you blow away the cost of golf equipment wise - there aren't essential ongoing costs to take pics though - whereas you have to pay to play a golf course.