Fair price for a round of golf?

peld

Visit site
Really? I enjoyed the Kings more than the PGA course.
Yeah, for a “flagship” golf course it was utterly forgettable. I remember the first with the elevated green, and a hole that was a completely blind tee shot but that’s it.
At the other end of value I think Gullane 3 was super enjoyable for the few quid we paid.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Paid £180 to play Trump International and as a one off it was worth it , also played as a example Holyte in Kent for £18 and always enjoy playing there old school club but I love going there.

Generally £40 should be what I would think reasonable for a weekend round.
That's about 50% more than I/We used to pay! But that was 20+ years ago! I agree, great wee course!

I've paid serious cash (up to £150) to play some of the Open venues and considered that reasonable value. Part of that charge is to actually deter visitors - giving members a 'fair go' for their (generally) own fairly considerable expenditure, so not unreasonable imo. I'm paying about half of what my guests pay at my course, so (Senior) membership is still the way to go if poss/workable. It costs me almost the same to get there and back mind, but worth it imo!

There are certainly relative bargains to be found though - even away from the 'booking' sites. A day at Gullane, playing 2 and 3 for £50 (including golfers lunch!), quite a while ago, was probably the best value anywhere - competing (similar era) with Evening rate of £20 for the long! Played Gullane 1 once and, while clearly better/grander than the others, not worth the normal visitor rate - though was phenomenal value for Guest rate!

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
About it’s true value imo. Probably the most disappointing course I’ve ever played, glad I wasn’t paying for it.
??????. Just about the finest and most enjoyable course I've played.

It would be boring if we all liked the same courses but I still don't recognise that description.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, for a “flagship” golf course it was utterly forgettable. I remember the first with the elevated green, and a hole that was a completely blind tee shot but that’s it.
At the other end of value I think Gullane 3 was super enjoyable for the few quid we paid.

I thought Kings was stunning. Would love to go back sometime. I know some courses split opinion but I fail to see how this gets such a negative response!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, by category:
Public/council course: should be no more than £20
Private member's course visitor rate: Would pay up to £40
Top course: I wouldn't pay any more than £80 personally. When they're £100 or over, for me I just can't see any course being worth that. You're still playing the same game ultimately and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere than bomb 150 quid say on one round of golf.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
About it’s true value imo. Probably the most disappointing course I’ve ever played, glad I wasn’t paying for it.
I loved it when I played it many years ago! and Queens was not far behind either! From the snapshot views of the PGA (that hadn't quite opened at the time), that looked the 'disappointing' one of the 3, but has maybe lost its 'blandness' since.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally, by category:
Top course: I wouldn't pay any more than £80 personally. When they're £100 or over, for me I just can't see any course being worth that. You're still playing the same game ultimately and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere than bomb 150 quid say on one round of golf.

Play the Old Course at some point. Absolutely worth the money, amazing experience.
Wouldn't play in winter as mats are in play but shoulder rates are reasonable.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've never played a truly premium course as I've always imagined that I'd come away wondering how they justified charging so much. I've played courses which have aspirations, Slaley Hall, Rockcliffe, The Roxburgh and similar and without exception I've always come away wondering what the fuss was about.
On the other hand the organiser of our annual trip has a remit to bring the whole thing in for £300, four rounds, hotel, travel, food and copious amounts of beer. We have played some outstanding courses. West Linton, Eyemouth and Hawick in the Borders. Goswick and Dunstanburgh. Lincoln GC, Shipley, Silloth and one of our favourites, Seascale (it actually has two par fours which go into Sellafield but that doesn't detract from the course at all).
If we paid £50 for any of those course then it was for two rounds. Yes we've dropped some fatties and played some real duck eggs, yes Draycote Hotel and Whitefields Golf Club, I'm looking at you. Cheap and anything but cheerful.
Notwithstanding all of that the one course that I will probably stump up the cash for one day in the not too distant future is The Old, just to follow in the footsteps. But not with mats.

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s a question that cannot be answered really. We all have different budgets. Some people are willing to spend more than others on there hobby.

It also depends where you are in the country. If you want to play a top course in Surrey then it’s £100 plus. Ireland and Scotland’s top tracks have priced themselves for American tourists. I think Kingbarns rack rate is £324.

Op mentioned £36. This will get you on a few great courses but for the majority I would imagine most courses will be pretty forgettable at that price point.

If your looking for value for money then there are plenty of great courses around. I played Silouth for £50 on the way up to The Old Course which was three times the price. I enjoyed them as much as each other. Would have been happy paying for both if the prices were switched round.

Personally I’ve spent over £200 for a round but I enjoy ticking off nice places. I’ve played both courses at Sunningdale this year which was an expensive day but my favourite new course this year was for £15 at Cleeve hill.

Sometimes it’s the company of your playing partners the make a course value for money.

sunshine

Visit site
I've played courses which have aspirations, Slaley Hall, Rockcliffe, The Roxburgh and similar and without exception I've always come away wondering what the fuss was about.

That’s because those aren’t top courses. You won’t find them in any objective top 100 list. Play a genuine top course and you will understand why you paid a premium.

sunshine

Visit site
Someone mentioned that it’s all about income, if you’re loaded price doesn’t matter.

Personally I believe a fair price is all about your priorities. I know people who don’t earn much but all their spare cash goes on golf, because that’s their hobby and passion.

I drove past a brand new Range Rover towing a caravan the other day. The couple can afford to drop £100k on a car but spend their holiday in a tiny caravan. Baffling to me but everyone has different priorities and gets their enjoyment from different things.

sunshine

Visit site
Personally, by category:

That is fine. You’ve established your boundaries. But...

What’s the best course you’ve ever played? And what’s the most you’ve ever spent?