Extremely fed up with hooks/pulls/hook-pulls

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
With the grip trainer the best tip is to just hold it. Watch tv holding it for example.

Just gets your hands comfortable in the positions.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With the grip trainer the best tip is to just hold it. Watch tv holding it for example.

Just gets your hands comfortable in the positions.

i actually had one then sold it. Found it far too uncomfortable! Wish I had tried that before getting rid.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
in the lead hand currently the handle is a tad too high up in the palm & the handle also too diagonal so too much an echo of the lifeline that's goin to make setting the angles (hands/wrists) into the backswing a tad problematic
plus trail hand a tad too under the grip so strong

**I start in the fingers then it always seems to drift like that

with the lead hand a good ball park starting position is to think how you would pick a heavy suitcase up with that hand - it order to be able to pick the case up the suitcase handle would have to lie further down in the hand nearer the bottom of the fingers & also lie more at 90º to the hand not lie so diagonal along the lifeline so the last 3 fingers of the lead hand would be more at 90º to that case handle - same is true of the golf club handle as to where & how it lies in the lead hand more at 90º to the hand & lower down more along the pads in the palm at the bottom of the fingers

** when you lower the club to address I think that must be where it slips further up the palm. Do I counter that with wrist angle?

with the grip hold as it is currently it's goin to affect how the club starts back & maybes the hands/handle at swing start have to more move out

**let’s see if grip fix corrects that somewhat [\QUOTE]

Last edited:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
in the lead hand currently the handle is a tad too high up in the palm & the handle also too diagonal so too much an echo of the lifeline that's goin to make setting the angles (hands/wrists) into the backswing a tad problematic
plus trail hand a tad too under the grip so strong

**I start in the fingers then it always seems to drift like that

with the lead hand a good ball park starting position is to think how you would pick a heavy suitcase up with that hand - it order to be able to pick the case up the suitcase handle would have to lie further down in the hand nearer the bottom of the fingers & also lie more at 90º to the hand not lie so diagonal along the lifeline so the last 3 fingers of the lead hand would be more at 90º to that case handle - same is true of the golf club handle as to where & how it lies in the lead hand more at 90º to the hand & lower down more along the pads in the palm at the bottom of the fingers

** when you lower the club to address I think that must be where it slips further up the palm. Do I counter that with wrist angle?

with the grip hold as it is currently it's goin to affect how the club starts back & maybes the hands/handle at swing start have to more move out

**let’s see if grip fix corrects that somewhat

the lead wrist if on the handle in good shape (as the description comparison to picking up a suitcase) then the wrist will have a tad of ulnar deviation as the club gets lowered to be behind the ball

this video may help some

[video=youtube;5Ba3qf5lmTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ba3qf5lmTo[/video]

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
with the lead hand a good ball park starting position is to think how you would pick a heavy suitcase up with that hand - it order to be able to pick the case up the suitcase handle would have to lie further down in the hand nearer the bottom of the fingers & also lie more at 90º to the hand not lie so diagonal along the lifeline so the last 3 fingers of the lead hand would be more at 90º to that case handle - same is true of the golf club handle as to where & how it lies in the lead hand more at 90º to the hand & lower down more along the pads in the palm at the bottom of the fingers ...

I've been striking the ball appallingly in recent times, and when i did get the ball air-borne, as often as not, it was a big duck hook.

Reading Coach's post made me realise my grip wasn't right - club was more like 50-60 degrees across the palm, rather than near 90 degrees.

Made the adjustment yesterday, and ĺ struck the ball beautifully - so much better than anything I've achieved in past 6 months or so. (So much so, that I'll be getting my first h/c cut for 11 months)

Thanks for the tip, Coach ...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i actually had one then sold it. Found it far too uncomfortable! Wish I had tried that before getting rid.

That's the whole point of a grip trainer grip. The 'correct' grip feels totally unnatural so its all about training the body to accept that unnatural feeling until it feels natural.

When I first started to play I practiced my grip whenever I could eg I played a lot of snooker and in between snooker shots I would hold the cue with a golf grip, after brushing the floor I would hold the broom with the golf grip.

When things start to go wrong for me the first thing I do is grab the grip training club and hit balls in the nets or on the range to re-establish the correct grip.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The laws of physics haven't changed.

With all respect, the OP has been playing less than a year so probably doesn't yet have the same ability to control the clubface through impact as the tour pros do.
And most of the tour pros don't have an excessively out to in swing

i agree. the grip is strong. so unless you're very good at getting the lower body through then thats left all day

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suffer from these, have done for ages! One of my biggest problems was on the range Id only hit one in ten left, so when having a lesson the pro really couldnt give me a fix. Grip was ok, no mention of out to in path. One was that was slightly off was alignment.

Ive not played much this year so went up the range on friday before playing yesterday. I got the shanks... now they are demoralizing!!

I had a few early on, but then went on to scramble my way back to 33pts hitting some fantastic iron shots.

Who knows? Maybe catching yourself a dose of the shanks is a way of a cure :)

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been striking the ball appallingly in recent times, and when i did get the ball air-borne, as often as not, it was a big duck hook.

Reading Coach's post made me realise my grip wasn't right - club was more like 50-60 degrees across the palm, rather than near 90 degrees.

Made the adjustment yesterday, and ĺ struck the ball beautifully - so much better than anything I've achieved in past 6 months or so. (So much so, that I'll be getting my first h/c cut for 11 months)

Thanks for the tip, Coach ...

cool - you're welcome glad it helped you some
congrats on the scoring & the cut

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wanted to update this thread in case anyone had a similar problem.

I haven’t had hooks or big pulls with irons in quite some time now.

The problem stemmed mainly from a psychological/feel issue. The club only felt ‘right’ when it was severely closed during the takeaway and backswing.

This was because my subconscious brain was trying to ‘hit the ball’, causing me to essentially come down on it, as well as gripping too tightly (to hit the ball hard).

It was only when I changed my concept from hitting the ball to concentrating on strike itself.

Amazing the difference a concept can make. It did take a short while to get used to a different feel but it changed my game immensely.