England top 100

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

evemccc

Visit site
Played 17 so far, and will be at least 21 by the end of this year

Can remember almost every hole of those 17. Really glad I have been able to make these memories and enjoyed them all a lot

sunshine

Visit site
I did have my wedding reception there 5 years back but my wife neglected to negotiate a free round for me

That is shocking! Missed an open goal. But why were you leaving the negotiation to your wife?

I got married at Hanbury Manor and a free 4 ball was near the top of my negotiation list.

sunshine

Visit site
I really really really dont get "Top 100 Golf Course" lists and why they change year to year.

Unless a course had extensive work done, its the bloody same.

Guess what... pretty much all the courses climbing the rankings have had work done.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played one of them - Moortown. It's good but I wouldn't be in any rush to go back. Ranked 44, I'd hope there were more than 43 courses better in England tbh.

sunshine

Visit site
No idea how the Addington ends up so high

I thought the same after I played there in 2019, just didn't understand how it was in the top 100 at all. However, it is starting to look excellent in recent photos, following the tree clearing programme. Also I hear the conditioning has improved considerably.

sunshine

Visit site
I played Hadley Wood earlier in the year and didn't find it particularly inspiring. Excellent clubhouse and decent course, but didn't seem worthy of a top 100 list. I played West Byfleet in November and would say that's a better course.

If you play a parkland course early in the year it is not going to be inspiring.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is shocking! Missed an open goal. But why were you leaving the negotiation to your wife?

I got married at Hanbury Manor and a free 4 ball was near the top of my negotiation list.
Five years ago I was too crap to play Moor Park anyway, or believed I was. Didn't even occur to me.

sunshine

Visit site
Out of all the ranking lists, I find top100 to be the least biased and therefore the one I turn to for guidance.

Some observations:
- Another well deserved big climb for Princes. It's becoming my favourite destination for a short break since the renovation work.
- Centurion drops out. I wonder if the Saudi connection has had an impact?
- I've only played 22 on the list. Last few years have been slim pickings due to kids, lockdowns and now the rampant green fee inflation... I've only added 1 new course to the list in the last 5 years.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Always surprises me how Woburns 3 courses are never rated higher. I guess having 3 amazing courses dilutes their offering but when I see some of the courses on this list ahead of them I do wonder.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have played 24, albeit some, like The Berkshire and St George's Hill, were 40 odd years ago! I'm always surprised that Enville Highgate doesn't find a way in, it's a lovely course. The other 18, Lodge, isn't far behind.

Something to do with geography perhaps?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have played 24, albeit some, like The Berkshire and St George's Hill, were 40 odd years ago! I'm always surprised that Enville Highgate doesn't find a way in, it's a lovely course. The other 18, Lodge, isn't far behind.

Something to do with geography perhaps?
Much of the middle of England gets ignored. I'm thinking that I like it that way.
I would not be keen on Longcliffe and Charnwood Forest getting clogged up with snobby golfing tourists.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
43 played…and should hopefully be about 50 by the end of the year.

Rankings are purely subjective….and sometimes a lot of folks can’t displace a bad day on the course from a bad golf Course. I’m guilty of it too…i won’t like a course, because I didn’t play well around it

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've played four, but have walked around a few of the others.
Being from Woking, there are quite a few in my area on the list, most that I'm unlikely to ever get to play.
Piltdown is the biggest shock for me, there must have been some big improvements in the 15 years since I last played there, as I can think of several courses I'd rate above Piltdown for layout.

The Lion

Visit site
Played 3 (all in the 70's and lower) and never been one for paying top dollar when my golf can't justify the outlay.
Played those to date on corporate days, so effectively free.

However, I am playing a top 10 course on Monday (RL&SA), for the princely sum of £15 including post match meal :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.....annual seniors friendly match between our clubs!!!

That’s pretty cool. I’ll bookmark the idea for when I become a senior! Which club are you at btw?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s pretty cool. I’ll bookmark the idea for when I become a senior! Which club are you at btw?

I'm at Fleetwood.
We are one of a select few clubs locally (and the only one on the Fyde Coast as far as I know), that have a friendly match there. Their own seniors don't get to play in the local leagues but I think they have a few similar friendlies against clubs like Birkdale, Southport, Hillside and Formby though.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played 13 of them - most recently Sheringham which I played on Tuesday. Played awful but loved the course. Played The Addington at start of 2020 and I wouldn't even have rated it in the top 5 courses with Addington in the name. Fairways & greens were really poor. But as others mention, they've had a lot of work done, so a revisit sounds in order.