Eng Golf Seniors Individual at Huddersfield(Fixby) & Wimslow this June

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing at Wilmslow - John Freeman is there. Haven't heard much of him since he won the north region qualifier for the Titleist Matchplay and a hol to Val de Lobo last October at Pleasington ... must be playing poorly as he's just managed to get his handicap up to 13.
Dooh... 13!!!...... that's about where he was 4 years ago when he won the Wirral Classic & not much different to a couple of years later when he got the E Lothian Links Cup..... all 4 day do's, over Championship courses.
He was a reserve at Sherwood Forest last year & didn't do much at Wetherby
He scored 34pts at Huddersfield where locals on 39pts took it.
My mates in his 3 ball at Wimslow..... interesting.... should I swop with him?? :)

Harrybob

Visit site
I was in the field for the Wirral Classic that he won in 2013 ...first time on my radar. He went to Nike Matchplay Finals in Portugal in Jan 14, qualified in 2nd place for final day at Birkdale in Southport Coast Links Champs in Aug 14. Won the Links Golf Cup in March 15, 3rd in Carnoustie Country Classic in May 16 and went to Portugal again for the Titleist Matchplay in Jan 17 having won his qualifier at Pleasington...give him a break though he struggles to win anything at his home course!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was in the field for the Wirral Classic that he won in 2013 ...first time on my radar. He went to Nike Matchplay Finals in Portugal in Jan 14, qualified in 2nd place for final day at Birkdale in Southport Coast Links Champs in Aug 14. Won the Links Golf Cup in March 15, 3rd in Carnoustie Country Classic in May 16 and went to Portugal again for the Titleist Matchplay in Jan 17 having won his qualifier at Pleasington...give him a break though he struggles to win anything at his home course!

Haha..... glad to meet another who knows John..... have met people locally who are aware of him..... when he won EG Seniors that just took the biscuit for me.
Hy up... forgot to add.... Welcome to the Forum & looking forward to meeting you some where.... is lovely that this is a place where you are very unlikely to come across the likes of 'John'.... & long may it be

Last edited:

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So this John Freeman is a cheat then? Keeping his h`cap artificially high so he can clean up at the big events by the sound of it.:rant:

Harrybob

Visit site
I'd never use the word cheat. He just struggles to get his handicap down - the objective of all us golfers - through the normal system. His Club and the Yorks Union are aware of his achievements but refuse to help him by legitimately cutting his handicap. I'm sure he would appreciate any efforts to get his handicap down. He's been quoted as saying that his aspiration is to get down to single figures. I'm sure his performances would already justify that if only his club or the Yorks Union would give him a helping hand!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I assume these are the types of performance that the new CONGU rules about reporting non qualifying away scores are designed to target? Let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt, he may get very nervous about weekly stablefords at his home club but somehow manages to hold it together when a foreign holiday is at stake ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haha..... glad to meet another who knows John..... have met people locally who are aware of him..... when he won EG Seniors that just took the biscuit for me.
Hy up... forgot to add.... Welcome to the Forum & looking forward to meeting you some where.... is lovely that this is a place where you are very unlikely to come across the likes of 'John'.... & long may it be

Dont tell me Dave, he was in the seniors and he only looks about 34, and wears white trousers......;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd never use the word cheat. He just struggles to get his handicap down - the objective of all us golfers - through the normal system. His Club and the Yorks Union are aware of his achievements but refuse to help him by legitimately cutting his handicap. I'm sure he would appreciate any efforts to get his handicap down. He's been quoted as saying that his aspiration is to get down to single figures. I'm sure his performances would already justify that if only his club or the Yorks Union would give him a helping hand!

Sorry but there are cheats about, not saying this fellow is, but the thing that helps the ones that are , are the amount of apologists out there. How are you sure that he wants to get his handicap down?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but there are cheats about, not saying this fellow is, but the thing that helps the ones that are , are the amount of apologists out there. How are you sure that he wants to get his handicap down?
Oh.... " get h/cap down".... was quoted in EG interview after Seniors victory in 2015.... I think Harry is very much tonge -in-cheek with everything he writes regarding this & I'd think he's easily done enough to justify help from Club or County... hard to believe they won't. I think I was on 14 when I came 27th in the Wirral Classic he won, & I'm now 10... it's so unfair on the guy... give him a break & a 2 or 3 shot cut!

Harrybob

Visit site
Oh.... " get h/cap down".... was quoted in EG interview after Seniors victory in 2015.... I think Harry is very much tonge -in-cheek with everything he writes regarding this & I'd think he's easily done enough to justify help from Club or County... hard to believe they won't. I think I was on 14 when I came 27th in the Wirral Classic he won, & I'm now 10... it's so unfair on the guy... give him a break & a 2 or 3 shot cut!

;););)

Harrybob

Visit site
Just had a look at Freeman's results at Willow Valley this year on HDID. On 4 Apr he won a midweek medal with a net 68 playing 12.0 - it was a non-qualifier! On 8th Apr stableford he got 30 pts up to 12.1. On 16th April - net 75, CSS 72 - no net double bogey adjusts but somehow back to 12.0. 18 April stableford 35 points - par 72, CSS 69 so up to 12.1. 30th April stableford won with 39 points - guess what - a non-qualifier so stayed on 12.1. 14th May - stableford 29 points up to 12.2. 16 May stableford - 30 pts up to 12.3. 20th May Stableford 26 pts up to 12.4. 21st May stableford 34 pts par=css so stayed on 12.4. 4th June net 78 up to 12.5. 6th June net 80 but non-qualifier so stayed on 12.5.
Not bad - 10 comps at home, two wins - both non-qualifiers - and handicap up by .5 taking him to 13. Could you make this up?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sure enough...... John Freeman's 41pts wins the day for the Seniors Men at Wilmslow... lots of side-ways glances from many around the room as well as the England Golf man running the Event

Harrybob

Visit site
I had a chat with the guys from England Golf. I offered one of them a tenner at even money that Freeman would win - didn't specify that it was just the men's division so maybe would have done my money! I wrote to the the Yorks Golf Union Secretary on Monday with a list of all his achievements and his recent home record - obviously didn't get a reply but something now has to be done! If he was in Lancs he would have been hammered long ago. All you Yorkies need to write in.

Harrybob

Visit site
Par 72 CSS 71 so 4 under gross and a cut of 0.9 meaning 11.6, playing 12 - back to where he was before his dreadful run of home form earlier in the season.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Par 72 CSS 71 so 4 under gross and a cut of 0.9 meaning 11.6, playing 12 - back to where he was before his dreadful run of home form earlier in the season.
Hey-up Harry!!!..... something has worked.... Freeman very recently cut to 9.9 & not in Home Club Comps :whoo: :thup: :whoo:
Well done!!!!!
PS... It also appears that for a week after his Wilmslow success, he has been able to continue on 12.5 in Competition without the EG Seniors result being picked up be his Club.

Last edited: