Energy suppliers

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We're thinking of changing from BULB, SO Energy, and Pure Planet are looking like the front runners so far.
Any other recommendations / suggestions [ Scotland ]

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We're thinking of changing from BULB, SO Energy, and Pure Planet are looking like the front runners so far.
Any other recommendations / suggestions [ Scotland ]

I went with Ovo a few months ago.

Got best price by going direct not through a comparison site.

Heard a consumer expert recently say best to go for a standard tariff just now as the fixed deals are very expensive just now.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went with Ovo a few months ago.

Got best price by going direct not through a comparison site.

Heard a consumer expert recently say best to go for a standard tariff just now as the fixed deals are very expensive just now.

EDF sent me a mail about a new fixed tariff. It was over double my current fixed rate and a £1k more than the standard tariff. :eek:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m like a lot of people having a supplier who went bust. Our energy prices have jumped 20% overnight. Add in a similar increase in fuel and food prices and we’re starting to cut our cloth accordingly which has required some pretty serious conversations at home. Good old Brexit.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m like a lot of people having a supplier who went bust. Our energy prices have jumped 20% overnight. Add in a similar increase in fuel and food prices and we’re starting to cut our cloth accordingly which has required some pretty serious conversations at home. Good old Brexit.
I didn't think Russia was in the EU

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the minute Martin Lewis is saying that if you are finishing a fixed tariff you should go on to the price cap as it's cheaper than fixing again.

I play golf with an energy broker and he echo’s this. The out of contract tariffs are capped at around 25p/kWh where as some new contracts are quoting as high as 60p/kWh.

This theory falls over if moving into a new property as the existing suppliers can refuse to supply unless you sign up.

He reckons this should clear within 12 months, something to do with Asia buying most of the gas supply which will ease once Europe comes back online as a supplier.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Their was talk of scrapping vat on fuel to help households through winter I was wondering (don't want the political side) if that did happen wouldn't the price cap being X amount mean more would just go to the energy companies and none to the treasury as they could still charge that amount?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Got an email today from my dual power supplier - British Gas - telling me that my fixed rate deal finishes end Jan 2022, and that I can go onto their best new rate. And what would that mean to me? It would see my joint gas/electricity bill increase from estimated £1584 for the last year (quite high as that is) to £2425 for the next year. That is an insane increase of nearly £850 a year, or about £70/month ?

Now whilst I can (will have to) afford that increase, how in the name of the wee man are those poorest families supposed to cope with such an increase…especially when you have very many on UC finding that the boost they received through the pandemic to help them cope has now been ended - just when prices for everything are going up, never mind absurdly rocketing cost of power - gas especially. It’s simply not affordable or sustainable and will simply result in many families turning their heating off - what other choice do they have? Very worrying indeed.

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

At least you know what your prices are; I'm still waiting for EdF to sort their lives out & tell me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At least you know what your prices are; I'm still waiting for EdF to sort their lives out & tell me.
Well…if what I got from British Gas yesterday is anything to go by…?

This level of tariff for gas and electricity is frankly unaffordable for many. Anyway…I’m doing nothing about switching from my current tariff in the hope that they return to sensible levels by the time my current ones finish…though as that is only two and half months away I hae ma doots ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well…if what I got from British Gas yesterday is anything to go by…?

This level of tariff for gas and electricity is frankly unaffordable for many. Anyway…I’m doing nothing about switching from my current tariff in the hope that they return to sensible levels by the time my current ones finish…though as that is only two and half months away I hae ma doots ?

But that's the thing.. I got offered something much higher but told If I do nothing I go onto the price cap which keeps it at least affordable

Gas I pay 2.5

Two offers 10p and 7p (loyalty tariff)

Price cap 4p

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But that's the thing.. I got offered something much higher but told If I do nothing I go onto the price cap which keeps it at least affordable

Gas I pay 2.5

Two offers 10p and 7p (loyalty tariff)

Price cap 4p
Just checked the email from BG.

The tariffs they are offering would be fixed to end April 2023 protecting me from further increases - so I guess they think that that makes them attractive.

The tariffs on offer are 6.5p/kWh for gas and 23.2p/kWh for electricity. And nowhere in the email is there any mention of a price cap. Though they are trying to get me to sign up before 1st Dec…?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

EDF "offered" me their new fixed rate of nearly £4k a year. :LOL:. Well over double what I'm currently paying. Err, no thanks.

Sadly, only alternative is to move onto their variable, just the £1k more than current. :sick: :cry:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just checked the email from BG.

The tariffs they are offering would be fixed to end April 2023 protecting me from further increases - so I guess they think that that makes them attractive.

The tariffs on offer are 6.5p/kWh for gas and 23.2p/kWh for electricity. And nowhere in the email is there any mention of a price cap. Though they are trying to get me to sign up before 1st Dec…?

If you do nothing and go onto the variable you will have the price cap automatically applied