Loft hatch insulation

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Looking for some advice. We have a loft hatch which currently has a block of foam on the loft side. About 67x50x5 cm. It gets caught when I go into the loft and bits fall off. I'm looking to replace it with something more robust but at least equally thermally efficient. Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking for some advice. We have a loft hatch which currently has a block of foam on the loft side. About 67x50x5 cm. It gets caught when I go into the loft and bits fall off. I'm looking to replace it with something more robust but at least equally thermally efficient. Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

A panel of Kingspan Kooltherm K107 cut to size should do the job

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks in advance.
How/what is it getting caught on?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks in advance.

This is the one we got and the supplier we got it from.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
How/what is it getting caught on?
Basically getting stuff in and out of the loft. The lid hangs down and so if you catch it, being poystyrene foam, it breaks easily. I am trying to find a way to hold the loft hatch out of the way. Most of the damage was done before we moved into the house. I don't catch it heavily, as I try to be careful, but if you touch it, another flake comes off. I was considering the ply insulation which at least would be a little more robust than the foam, or even thick insulation roll stuck to it.

Last edited:

mariwin

Visit site
I opt for a rigid foam insulation, it is strong, durable, and has a high thermal resistance. Moreover, can be cut to size and attached to the loft hatch lid with adhesive or screws.

Or mineral wool insulation for loft hatch can also be an option: already insulated, making it the easiest alternative, but also the most expensive:(

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Just an update. In the end I went for a sheet of Recticel PIR from B&Q. Less than £10 and easily cut to size. It is a little more robust than the old polystyrene and if anything happens to it now then at least it will be my fault and not the previous owners. Looks a lot better and no bits of polystyrene falling off it on the carpet every time I breathe too heavily on it.