Car Suggestions

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok fellas,

We're in the initial stages of looking to see whether we can afford a new car and am looking for suggestions for upgrades.

Also - if the car salesmen of the forum could offer advice as the best way to go about p/x'ing or private selling to get the most for our current car, that would be great.

Also, it looks like we may have to look at finance options, so any suggestions/advice on that (other than don't do it! ;)) would be greatly appreciated.

Currently looking to sell the current car because it's done nearly a 125k and with the mileage we tend to do (not loads, but enough), I'm not sure how much longer it's going to last and I don't really want to keep pumping money into it for repairs.

I currently drive a 2004 Seat Toledo (the non-ugly one) TDI Sport 150. It's great because the boot is massive and the 150bhp turbo engine gives it enough oomph to make it really enjoyable to drive.

So criteria for new car is:

-Big boot (enough for two or three sets of golf clubs). I would love a Renault Clio Sport or a hot hatch of some kind, but it's really not practical.

-Not an old man's car. I don't need a proper sports car, mostly because the insurance will be massive and I have no need for it, but a car with a bit of speed making it fun to drive and making overtaking a bit safer would be great. Not limiting myself to petrol or diesel but something like I have now or Skoda Octavia vRS-y is what I'm thinking. I do not have the money or desire for something ridiculous like a Scooby etc...I want a "safe choice", middle of the road sports saloon that's just cool enough. :D

- It has to be something the Mrs. will like. ;)

- Not a BMW.

Anything else is fair game. My current favourite (that I sadly probably can't afford) is the Lexus IS250. My dad has just bought a 2nd hand one with every single bell and whistle imaginable and the thing is just a joy to drive. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. (Not very often because he's way too protective of it!!)

So I'm thinking along those lines. I wouldn't rule out a "big" 4x4-type car as the Mrs. quite likes Honda CR-V's and the like.

Any suggestions/advice/witty remarks would be very welcomed.

Cheers

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You've only got 3 or 4 things against my car.

Still for sale. :cool: :D

Who needs sensible!

In all seriousness, I'm going to have a look at Honda Accord Diesels when/if mine goes.
From what I've read they have lots of toys (sat nav, heated leather etc), have great mpg and are bulletproof even if they're high mileage if they've been looked after properly.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
You've only got 3 or 4 things against my car.

Still for sale. :cool: :D

Who needs sensible!

In all seriousness, I'm going to have a look at Honda Accord Diesels when/if mine goes.
From what I've read they have lots of toys (sat nav, heated leather etc), have great mpg and are bulletproof even if they're high mileage if they've been looked after properly.

Is it you that has the silly yellow Leon?

If so, I would love it, and it would be in the mix....if it wasn't yellow. I don't care, but the Mrs. won't drive a yellow car! :D

Yea the Honda would be on my list. My mate drives one and it's quite nice. Dunno if picky HID would like it though :mad:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the missus is dictating your choice you are going to end up with a convertible Nissan Micra, in candy pink.

Have fun in it.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the missus is dictating your choice you are going to end up with a convertible Nissan Micra, in candy pink.

Have fun in it.

:D Haha. Luckily, she's actually got reasonable taste in cars, it just has to have the "right" look.

Her ideal "right look" car would be an Audi A5. She has impeccable, but expensive :)() taste.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you taking running costs into consideration ?

MPG, CO2 emmisions, Road Tax etc.

Most definitely. Which is why I'll probably stick with Diesel. As a similar powered petrol car will be more to tax etc...Even though Diesel is slightly more expensive.

I just can't go back to a 1.4 engine after having a decent engine in my car for the last 5 years.

I want to try and find something that's going to be a good balance of everything.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest, you will be doing well to find a nicer car than the 150TDI Toledo fella.
I dont understand the "NO BMWs" either, the missus has an x5 and it has to be the worlds nicest place to be sat in, you can see traffic ahead, has a pretty decent sized boot, most of the engine choices are mighty and the interior is very well made.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I recently purchased a 1.9tdi 05 Passat and it's the dogs bollocks.50 mpg so good on the fuel and it has a muckle boot for the clubs.

Yea, I'm a big fan of the new shape Passats, VW normally come with an (unneccesary) premium though. I'd have a Skoda Octavia vRS in a heartbeat, but...it's still a Skoda :D

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest, you will be doing well to find a nicer car than the 150TDI Toledo fella.
I dont understand the "NO BMWs" either, the missus has an x5 and it has to be the worlds nicest place to be sat in, you can see traffic ahead, has a pretty decent sized boot, most of the engine choices are mighty and the interior is very well made.

I know, don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Toledo. The ride is a little hard and the handling isn't the sharpist. But I don't know how long it's going to last now which is upsetting.

If my budget was big enough to even think about an X5, I certainly would consider it...But with my budget I'm talking older BMW's (probably 3 series) which are really not my cup of tea. And BMW's are, for the most part, driven by 1st class bellends. :D (Your wife not included ;)).

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
And BMW's are, for the most part, driven by 1st class bellends

That is just ridiculous. Everyone knows that Volvo drivers occupy the #1 spot in the "bellend driver" chart. And by some distance too. Always have, always will.

:D Yea, I don't want a Volvo either.

Infact, I would love a Skoda Octavia, having been looking, but the Mrs. refuses to drive a Skoda. Stupid bint :D