Car problem

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any car mechanics out there?
After the recent cold spell my rear wash wipe does not work. I've undone the cover and checked the tube but no water coming through, but can hear the motor running.
It's a 15 plate Ford Fiesta.
Any help much appreciated. 👍

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
After the recent cold spell my rear wash wipe does not work. I've undone the cover and checked the tube but no water coming through, but can hear the motor running.
Owners of my car, an MG5, have reported that when the pipes freeze up in cold weather they can come apart when the motor is operated. The tell tale sign is damp areas somewhere in the car where the break in the pipe is.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is the tube blocked at the reservoir end?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Owners of my car, an MG5, have reported that when the pipes freeze up in cold weather they can come apart when the motor is operated. The tell tale sign is damp areas somewhere in the car where the break in the pipe is.
I'll check to see if there are any visible leaks. 👍

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just frozen? How concentrated is the screen wash? Sometimes in cold weather the front washers will work whilst the rear can freeze.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just frozen? How concentrated is the screen wash? Sometimes in cold weather the front washers will work whilst the rear can freeze.
I was thinking that too but it's been much milder for a good few days, I would hope that it has thawed by now. 👍

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At this time of the year do not use pre diluted washer fluid, use concentrated in the amount said on the bottle for cold weather even going as far as neat concentrated.

My first approach is always hot water on the jet and, if you can get to it, the pipe.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Furture SIL had similar problem on his 3 series a while back. Pulled the tube off the jets, and I used my air line to blow back into the washer bottle (taking the cap off it first). Cleared it through, and jets worked fine after.:)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Furture SIL had similar problem on his 3 series a while back. Pulled the tube off the jets, and I used my air line to blow back into the washer bottle (taking the cap off it first). Cleared it through, and jets worked fine after.:)
Yes you can do this from your plug in tyre inflator if you have one.
i use a airbed adapter that tapers .
Do it both ways and at least you know the pipe is clear.

If the pipe has frozen sometimes it can split with the expansion of the ice this is rare but does happen.
You then have no pressure to get to the jets but need to find the leak.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
👍
Yes you can do this from your plug in tyre inflator if you have one.
i use a airbed adapter that tapers .
Do it both ways and at least you know the pipe is clear.

If the pipe has frozen sometimes it can split with the expansion of the ice this is rare but does happen.
You then have no pressure to get to the jets but need to find the leak.
Its in the garage now. 🤞🤞

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
👍

Its in the garage now. 🤞🤞
They tried everything, airline both ends, up on the ramp, no joy.
So rebooked in for next Thursday and may have to pull the headlining down to find the blockage. Unless they can find another way and said they'd give it some thought.
They did suggest two other options, do without it, or sell it. 😂

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So rebooked in for next Thursday and may have to pull the headlining down to find the blockage. Unless they can find another way and said they'd give it some thought.
Depends how important it is to you.
lmo it’s not that important!

Not sure but is this included in the MOT.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In work we had a very thin Fish wire ( think cycle brake cable).
they put the wire down the tube to check for a blockage , it had a corkscrew bit on and when twisted hopefully pulled the blockage out.

More important it was coloured in increments so you could work out where the blockage is by how far the cable went in .
This helped locate it so you could just look for it without taking the car apart.

Clever stuff.