Advice on new car

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
After living car free for more than ten years, I finally decided to want a car again, if only to get to the golf course. Since I will be mostly travelling in it alone, and I don't have any need for speed, I am looking for a small city car. I rented a Smart for four when I was in Lytham last month, and I really liked that one.

After having had a look around at the car dealers in my area and on the internet, I am currently considering two different options:

1) One of my colleague is selling his Citroen C1, built 2009, apprx. 70,000 km (43,000 miles) on the clock, he is the first owner and has all the papers, inspections and check-ups in order. I trust him that he is not keeping any former damages or the like from me and I think I could get him to sell it to me for about 3500 € (3000 £). The car is equipped with air conditioning and a CD/mp3 player/radio. The model does have a very flimsy boot lid, though, which has a tendency to leak. There are quite a few reviews on the internet about that problem and my colleague told me he did have water in the boot on a few occasions as well. The boot is tiny and only really usable when you flip the back seat forward (which is easily done, though). It also has four passenger doors, so I doubt I would use the back lid much at all.

2) Hyundai is selling it's smalles car, the i10, for only about 8000 € in the most basic version. Even though motor and horse power are almost identical with the C1, it is a much sturdier car with a bigger boot and more room altogether, it looks almost like a tiny SUV. My father has kindly offered to support me should I want to go for this car. (I can afford about 5000 € myself and he would cover the rest). It comes with a full 5 year warranty, inlcuding oil changes etc. But it has no air conditioning or any other extras. It does not even have electrical window openers or a simple radio (even though, a radio I could probably build in later with little trouble). Any extras would mean having to go for the next higher model which costs at least 2000 € more and is therefore absolutely out of reach.

So, what would you say is the better option? Go for a used car (even if I'd keep searching, I doubt I could find a much better offer than that of my colleague, small cars with a kilometre reading of less than 100,000 km are hard to come by in Germany at the moment), or go for the new one, even if that means going without the air conditioning? I think, even though the new one is more expensive now, if I take expected future repair costs and re-sale value after, let's say, 5 years into consideration, it does not make much of a difference in the long run. And I really like the safety of the 5 year warranty. My father bought his Hyundai at the same retailer, so I know it is not a scam and they really cover everything. And I like the thought of a new car. I've never owned a new car.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My wife had a C1 for about a year. It never let her down but it was a very uncomfortable car for any journey over 30km. I thought it was very basic to the point of being old technology. The metal work was paper thin, and the door panels flexed when pushing the door closed.

I was very pleased when she finally decided to change it.

I don't know the Hyundai, so can't comment.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd recommend a Kia Piccanto. I have a Kia Cee'd and equipment wise it's good at the price. Get one still with the seven year warranty covered.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd recommend a Kia Piccanto. I have a Kia Cee'd and equipment wise it's good at the price. Get one still with the seven year warranty covered.

Picanto and i10 are very similar cars and all part of same company family. I hired an i10 to go from Glasgow to Oban and around the area and found it comfortable and well equipped. Compare the two for value or maybe consider a 3 year old Kia Rio or similar.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Yeah, I have the Kia Picanto on the radar as well. It is a very popular car in Germany at the moment. It costs about 1500 € more than the i10, but comes with air conditioning and some other extras. Still, I'm afraid that's out of my price range and the used ones are hard to get (because like the Hyundai, it comes with a long warranty, so people just don't sell it).

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd go with the i10 every time - a great small car, especially the new ones.

Don't like the sound of water in the boot! A definite no no for me.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Long term water leakage can course more issues than you think walk away. If you don't buy a car that suits your needs you will soon get fed up with it, eg not being able to get your clubs in the boot without a struggle if that's what you want it for. Take your clubs with you when you go to view it will be worth it.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can also go slightly bigger and get a Fabia, plenty of room then. Got a massive desk from Ikea in there with some convincing. Have had 4 1,80+ guys in mine each with golf clubs. Had it for 8 years now and no issues at all.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My colleague is picking up his new car today after work and is nice enough to give me the opportunity to try his C1 out for a few days, so I can thoroughly test it. Given current weather conditions, that will probably mean at least one really bad downpour (or if not, I can put a water hose on it) to check for any leakage.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
£3000 sounds a lot of money for a seven year old car of that type. Have you researched what it is worth?

My wife had an i10, now has a Citigo - both excellent cars.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
£3000 sounds a lot of money for a seven year old car of that type. Have you researched what it is worth?

My wife had an i10, now has a Citigo - both excellent cars.

I did some research on the internet and in the classfieds in the local newspapers. The price seems about the going rate for small cars of that age and mileage. As I said, they are hard to come by, because there is a lot of demand for them (they fall into the cheapest tax and insurance category ... larger ones of the same age can actually be lower in re-sale value, but will then cost more to maintain). I have my colleague's car at the moment to try it out and drove about 20 miles with it yesterday. Nice, actually and slightly more comfortable than I would have expected. Accelerates nicely for such a small machine (a bit noisy, though, the 3 cylinder motor sounds a bit like a chihuaha on steroids when you push the pedal ... probably the same for the i10, I guess, afaik it has the same motor).

I can keep the car till Monday, giving me a few days to make a decision. I will drive it around on the weekend, take it on the Autobahn etc. to test it some more.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Thanks again for all your input. I made my decision today and thanks to a hefty contribution by my dad actually bought a brand new shiny Hyundai i10 in silver metallic with all kinds of extras. Looks like a proper car.
CnqWfQmWcAAh-VY.jpg

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks again for all your input. I made my decision today and thanks to a hefty contribution by my dad actually bought a brand new shiny Hyundai i10 in silver metallic with all kinds of extras. Looks like a proper car.
CnqWfQmWcAAh-VY.jpg

Das auto is schoen Capella!

Sorry about my German spelling, from my sketchy memory of when I was in Germany, many many moons ago!

Excellent choice and the contribution from Pa is what parents are for. :)

After a while let us know what you think.
:thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
CnqWfQmWcAAh-VY.jpg

Das Auto ist fantastisch. Sehr gute Wahl.