Visit to Cardiff

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This weekend we are going down to Bristol to visit my son. We are thinking of going to Cardiff on the Saturday, easy enough to get to by train. None of us have been before so I am looking for guidance.

Any recommendations of what to do or see when we are there? It could be rainy so indoor suggestions would be very well received.

The Cardiff Bay area looks interesting, is there much there or is it a bit sterile?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
This weekend we are going down to Bristol to visit my son. We are thinking of going to Cardiff on the Saturday, easy enough to get to by train. None of us have been before so I am looking for guidance.

Any recommendations of what to do or see when we are there? It could be rainy so indoor suggestions would be very well received.

The Cardiff Bay area looks interesting, is there much there or is it a bit sterile?

Plenty going on in Cardiff!

But if the new york deli is still open then for me you have to go there for lunch!!! (its in one of the arcades somewhere)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The arcades have some nice quirky shops in - unlike the main shopping centre which is like every shopping centre in every city. The Bay Area is ok for a walk round and you can get the boat back to near the castle which is also worth a visit. If you want pubs and nightlife, then you are definitely in the right place 🍻🍺

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The arcades have some nice quirky shops in - unlike the main shopping centre which is like every shopping centre in every city. The Bay Area is ok for a walk round and you can get the boat back to near the castle which is also worth a visit. If you want pubs and nightlife, then you are definitely in the right place 🍻🍺
It will be a day time visit so nightlife isn't an issue. Cake will be important though :D

Arcades? I've just googled them, thank you (y)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going by train is a good move if there are no strikes

Just remember half of the day will be taken up if driving there once you leave England. :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going by train is a good move if there are no strikes

Just remember half of the day will be taken up if driving there once you leave England. :ROFLMAO:
We are flying down and my son doesn't have, or need, a car so it's public transport once we are there.

Good point about strikes but I've checked and thankfully we will be okay.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We are flying down and my son doesn't have, or need, a car so it's public transport once we are there.

Good point about strikes but I've checked and thankfully we will be okay.
I can't imagine the communication issues between your accent and Bristolian. I guess your Son can translate 😄

Bus to Temple Meads, Train to Cardiff. Have a great day 👍

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't imagine the communication issues between your accent and Bristolian. I guess your Son can translate 😄
I live in Northumberland but I'm not from here. My accent is boring and bland I'm afraid. Neutral northern 😆.

Your point is a fun one though. Thick Northumbrian in a conversation with true Bristolian.... ..it would be like Gerald from Clarkson's farm chatting with his cousin 🤣🤣.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
And I always imagined a cross between Terry from "When the boooot comes in" and "Vera!"😁😁
Sorry to dispel the image 🤷‍♀️ . Mind, no one speaks like Vera, she has about 6 accents in each sentence :rolleyes:.

You are showing your age there with Terry. When I think Geordie I think of Dennis, Oz and Nev but that dates me as well 😄. The younger ones probably go straight to Ant & Dec........

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of my mates is from Northumberland... he used to spit feathers at Vera's accent.

Bit like any character from West of Reading in a drama has a spoof yokel accent regardless of where it's meant to be
I can't watch the show because of her accents, or accents. It's all over the shop and just distracts. A shame because it is filmed all over the county in places I know, go to etc and that is always fun to see. They should have just had her use her normal voice and the other actors could have been local to add authenticity.

As you say, the generic accent that an actor puts on in a regional drama is usually pretty annoying for anyone local to the area. Just follow the legend that is Sean Connery, he had it right.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, visit over. Arrived about 10.30, grey and raining. Not a great start to a visit to a new place, where looks good in the rain? Checked out the Arcades, wandered in the centre, then headed to the museum in the hope the rain would stop. The museum was a bit disappointing but saved itself at the end with a good dinosaur section.

Thankfully the rain stopped, we walked around the castle walls, through the park. Then we made a mistake. We wanted to go to Cardiff Bay, the new development, but decided to walk. 30 minutes of nothing interesting or nice later we arrived. Should have got the bus 🙄. Anyway, we liked it there, looks like more being built, improvements made. Somehow they need to link it better with the centre as its currently an outlier. Tough because it isn't close but somehow they need to connect the two, even if only by more obvious transport links.

Train was only 45 minutes from Bristol, on the smoothest tracks I've ever been on. Good way to do it.

So, conclusion. Happy to have gone, won't bother again. Would have been better on a nicer day, obviously, and having a local in tow would probably help to take us to the best bits more directly.

Thanks for the tips.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
So, visit over. Arrived about 10.30, grey and raining. Not a great start to a visit to a new place, where looks good in the rain? Checked out the Arcades, wandered in the centre, then headed to the museum in the hope the rain would stop. The museum was a bit disappointing but saved itself at the end with a good dinosaur section.

Thankfully the rain stopped, we walked around the castle walls, through the park. Then we made a mistake. We wanted to go to Cardiff Bay, the new development, but decided to walk. 30 minutes of nothing interesting or nice later we arrived. Should have got the bus 🙄. Anyway, we liked it there, looks like more being built, improvements made. Somehow they need to link it better with the centre as its currently an outlier. Tough because it isn't close but somehow they need to connect the two, even if only by more obvious transport links.

Train was only 45 minutes from Bristol, on the smoothest tracks I've ever been on. Good way to do it.

So, conclusion. Happy to have gone, won't bother again. Would have been better on a nicer day, obviously, and having a local in tow would probably help to take us to the best bits more directly.

Thanks for the tips.

Don’t dismiss it because of one quick visit on a rainy day, Cardiff is a great city to visit, with lots of interesting places to go, friendly people and decent grub, as well as a great nightlife. Try it again when the suns out and you can wander around. 👍

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I did Cardiff this last new year. Not the best of times to have flu. I was in bed New Year’s Eve at 9.30 with a face like a slapped rrrrs.
It never stopped flippin raining. That aside we enjoyed it immensely. It massively helped having a car. New Years day we travelled up to the Brecon Beacons, stopping off at Aberfan on the way. Not gonna lie that one choked me and Missis T.