Edinburgh!!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Evening. My wife is 40 next week and so we’re off to Edinburgh on Saturday for a 3 day break. We’re taking an 8yr old with us as she’s keen to see the pandas at Edinburgh Zoo however are there any other suggestions for anything worth seeing?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Camera Obscura is good for kids and adults.

If you get a decent day, then a walk up
Arthur’s Seat is nice, easy walk and great views.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Another vote for the museum. Last time I was there we were 4 adults and two children under 8. Spent most of the day there. Brilliant place.

scot museum.jpg

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take the child up the Scott Monument in Princes Street......that will tire him/her out for the rest of the day.
Good tram service that links up Leith and the airport for getting about.
Car is a bit restricted in the town centre.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Take the child up the Scott Monument in Princes Street......that will tire him/her out for the rest of the day.
Good tram service that links up Leith and the airport for getting about.
Car is a bit restricted in the town centre.

Trams don’t go anywhere near Leith. Airport to York Place is the current limits.

Only a mentalist would take a car anywhere near the centre at present (and I know as I am one that does for work) as it’s a nightmare because of the tram works.

These works will extend the tram service down to Newhaven (stops are built etc) but the work being done at the bottom of Leith Walk and Great Junction Street seem to be taking forever.

YandaB

Visit site
If you are a watcher of Portrait Artist of the Year then the Scottish National Portrait Gallery has got the 2021 winners portrait of the violinist Nichola Benedetti in the entrance hall. I thought that it was quite stunning (and I'm no real art lover, it's HID that watches it here). 1 Queens Street.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Royal Yaught Brittania is good to visit but possibly not so much for an 8 year old girl. There are several walking tours including a Harry Potter one. The national museum is very good.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd second the suggestion for Britannia, it could be doable with your daughter as there's lots of different parts to see and explore.
Otherwise we enjoyed easting at Mamma's American Pizza in Grass Market that had a good choice of food, even a haggis pizza!
West Bow street and Cockburn street are good tourist streets and we really enjoyed eating at the Witchery by the Castle, close to Camera Obscura.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Here is an interesting little video that popped up on my stream a couple of weeks ago that explains what went wrong.. (spoiler… it’s politics!?)

The whole situation with the trams has been an absolute farce. Years late and massively over budget, just like the current ferry building debacle in Scotland. BTW, that was not a political comment. ?