Golf in Fife

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hello all. The family have booked a last minute weeks break in Fife the week after next. My son and I wish to play 3 rounds whilst there.

One round will be at a top marquee course (Kingsbarns, Old Course or Dumbarnie) any thoughts on which is the best course? Not too bothered about history so judge by course only please.

Then does anybody have reasonable suggestions for the other 2 rounds? We will be based in Anstruther opposite the course there which may be employed of an evening 😉

Thanks for any input

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Maybe wait til after Silloth. You might hate golf after 18 holes with me! 🤣🤣
St. Andrews is only 30 minutes away...! 😉

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Silloth remains my absolute favourite course. Not even your golf will spoil that. My golf will do that all by itself 🤣🤣

I know St Andrews Old is close but is it £600 good if I ignore the history ? Kingsbarns is £450 and Dumbarnie £366.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
You're rather spoilt for choice round there...

My personal choices (in no particular order), would be Lundin, Leven, Ladybank, Crail, or if you want cheap but fun, Charleton. Or any of New, Jubilee, Castle at St Andrews. Personally I wouldn't bother with Elie - a bit too quirky for my taste.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Crail, Elie, The Castle Course, The Eden.

Anstruther Fish Bar is meant to be fantastic. In Crail harbour, Reilly Shellfish is a little shack (literally), selling cooked seafood, including lobster rolls from 12-4pm each day.

If you play or are in Elie, I can highly recommend The 19th Hole, a pub by the 4th fairway, or The Ship Inn. Both are lovely pubs that sell great Fish & Chips.

Visit site
Anstruther Golf Club is a cracking course and with just the 9 holes can be played in early in the morning or afternoon after shooting 18 somewhere else. Nestled right along the coast the the scenery is fantastic and Rockies restaurant - named after the course’s feature fifth hole - is great for a post round dinner in the evenings.

I’ve not played Dumbarnie or Kingsbarms but the Balcomie at Crail is a terrific course and again the scenery is just outstanding.

Last edited: