Golf in Fife

Ja95

Visit site
I’m also heading up to Fife in September. Looking to book a tee time as early as possible about 7:30/8 does anyone know if this is possible at Elie, Crail, Lundin or any of the St Andrews courses

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Silloth remains my absolute favourite course. Not even your golf will spoil that. My golf will do that all by itself 🤣🤣

I know St Andrews Old is close but is it £600 good if I ignore the history ? Kingsbarns is £450 and Dumbarnie £366.
St.Andrews old course is not £600. If you want one experience in golf then that is the one to go for.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dumbarnie is the best golf course.
Old Course is the best experience.
Kingsbarns is the best facility and service.

As a paying visitor I’d do it that order.
Disagree. Dumbarnie is not that great. Holes look nice from the tees but condition not that great. A fake modern links. Much rather play an established course than there (again). The likes of Panmure is a far superior experience.

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've never heard of Panmure, I'll look it up.

Do you know a way of getting the "Old Course" for less? I'm paying for both myself and my son and there appears to be no junior rate??!!??

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Spoken to St Andrews who have confirmed £590 for my son and I to play. They offer roughly half price on all their other courses for juniors but not the Old Course.

I guess there is money to be made.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Spoken to St Andrews who have confirmed £590 for my son and I to play. They offer roughly half price on all their other courses for juniors but not the Old Course.

I guess there is money to be made.
That is a pity. The New and the Jubilee courses are both excellent. Consider there and you will at least give your boy part of the St. Andrews experience.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
The New runs alongside The Old for some holes, so you'd get "close" to The Old Course. But I really don't think close to £600 is worth it for you and a junior. I'd wait until he's a bit older and he can buy drinks at The Jigger Inn! 😉

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Crail, Elie, The Castle Course, The Eden.

Anstruther Fish Bar is meant to be fantastic. In Crail harbour, Reilly Shellfish is a little shack (literally), selling cooked seafood, including lobster rolls from 12-4pm each day.

If you play or are in Elie, I can highly recommend The 19th Hole, a pub by the 4th fairway, or The Ship Inn. Both are lovely pubs that sell great Fish & Chips.
This seems like a good mix to me. The 14 old holes on the Eden are as fun as the other SA links courses, plus it's much cheaper and quieter.
Castle is great fun if the weather is decent.
Crail has some lovely holes along the coast.
I'd also make sure that the whole family plays the Himalayas.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
This seems like a good mix to me. The 14 old holes on the Eden are as fun as the other SA links courses, plus it's much cheaper and quieter.
Castle is great fun if the weather is decent.
Crail has some lovely holes along the coast.
I'd also make sure that the whole family plays the Himalayas.
You're not wrong about The Castle. Played it in March in the wind and rain and scored 14 points!
Playing the Himalayas today with the family. Am staying in Kingsbarns this week and the weather is glorious. No golf though, but going to have a stroll down to the beach, via the golf course.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Or in off season. In October price is less for a spell before they go onto mats.
Sorry this doesn't help the OP.

Im going in November on the winter golf package. Old, New and Jubilee for £215 with £25 food voucher, and 10 a.m. tee time each day. It'll be off mats but who cares.
Again, not much help to the op though.

Visit site
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Scotscraig. It's a qualifying course for the Open (or has been). A real test of golf.
Another one is Ladybank, it's almost the Scottish Woodhall Spa, with less severe bunkers.

Budds

Banned
Visit site
If staying in Anstruther, I'd make Dumbarnie Links your stadium course, but check that it has overcome and recovered from the growth problems that it had - last year I think. It's also the least stupid price. Crail is an obvious 2nd to satisfy the sprog. For the 3rd, I'd recommend eiher Lundin or Leven. My personal preference is Leven as it's a more consistent links course. Lundin is, for me, decidedly grander, but has a few (3 from memory) distinctly parkland holes.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If staying in Anstruther, I'd make Dumbarnie Links your stadium course, but check that it has overcome and recovered from the growth problems that it had - last year I think. It's also the least stupid price. Crail is an obvious 2nd to satisfy the sprog. For the 3rd, I'd recommend eiher Lundin or Leven. My personal preference is Leven as it's a more consistent links course. Lundin is, for me, decidedly grander, but has a few (3 from memory) distinctly parkland holes.
Again, plenty other great courses in better condition in Fife than the new imposter.
New and Jubilee are far better at cheaper prices.Screenshot_20230807_152731_Chrome.jpg