Ecco Biom Gore-tex Mens Shoes

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone got a pair of these shoes?

I have a pair of hydromax bioms but they are far from waterproof, now coming into winter I am looking for a pair of waterproof shoes. I am finding it hard to look at anything other than Ecco Gore-tex bioms as I know they are so comfortable but I don't know how long the waterproofing will last, does anyone have a pair are they truly waterproof, do they need constant treatments, would I be advised to look elsewhere?

The cost is putting me off a little I have to say, especially when I can get mizzys for £70-80 but have never had a pair so don't know what they are like.

Previous experience of Adidas and Nike means I wont be getting a pair of these either.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great minds and all that Murph

I have to say my Ecco shoes are the best I have had but i'll be gutted if I pay that much for a pair of shoes and they are leaking twelve - eighteen months later.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Has anyone got a pair of these shoes?

I have a pair of hydromax bioms but they are far from waterproof, now coming into winter I am looking for a pair of waterproof shoes. I am finding it hard to look at anything other than Ecco Gore-tex bioms as I know they are so comfortable but I don't know how long the waterproofing will last, does anyone have a pair are they truly waterproof, do they need constant treatments, would I be advised to look elsewhere?

The cost is putting me off a little I have to say, especially when I can get mizzys for £70-80 but have never had a pair so don't know what they are like.

Previous experience of Adidas and Nike means I wont be getting a pair of these either.
I dont haveh gortex Bio M but i have a 3 year old pair of Tour Hdromax gortex and thay are the only shoes ive had that have not let water in.

I just got a pair of Bio M yesterdy from our pro, and he had ordered the gortex version but Ecco had told him didn't have any left for this year. ad to use store store credit as the pair of FJ XPS the sole splitt and FJ gave store credit to replace them as just wuld not get another pair of FJ shoe.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Great minds and all that Murph

I have to say my Ecco shoes are the best I have had but i'll be gutted if I pay that much for a pair of shoes and they are leaking twelve - eighteen months later.

I played in my street shoes in the rain last week. Within 3 holes my feet were soaked through. That hydramax coating is junk. I'm going to try putting some dubbin on them short term.

My biom hybrids are a bit better, but still not great, but they are white, so not for winter. I love the look of some of their more classic brogue looking shoes, but I'm thinking summer use only, as they are hydromax'ed too.

I find the biom hybrids sooo comfortable, so am hoping the goretex version is the dogs. That said, I was out running in my goretex trail shoes yesterday through long wet grass, and my feet were soaked through.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Hydromax coating is a waste of time and advertising, when I ordered mine I ordered the Gore-tex ones. The shop told me they were out of stock would I take the hydromax ones. I asked are they waterproof and the answer I got was yes they don't let water in really there is no point in the Gore-tex ones........ as these are so good.......

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
clearly a high focus area right now....

I'm finding the big decision heading out is which shoes, not which clubs in the bag!

The sole on the Ecco Streets is miles ahead of anything else in terms of grip where bits of damp grass and cut leaves clog up most other soft spikes (and I can't clear them easily on course without taking shoes off... :() - this applies even in the wet, but they are obviously not waterproof (neither by marketing, design nor function).

So for the time being it's dry and slip risk, or risking wet and grippy.... :whistle:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got these image.jpg

Don't believe they are the goretex version, but the standard version, they are as comfortable as my biom hybrids and 100% comfortable. I wore them last spring in the snow and again in the last couple of weeks. They haven't let any water in

I'd not buy footjoy or Adidas again in a hurry

Last edited:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I have a few pairs of Eccos, I don't have issues with either the HydroMax versions or the GoreTex versions in the traditional styles for water resistance. That said, my shoes are always cleaned and either treated with Ecco Leather Lotion or polished with a good polish before they are used again so that may improve their water resistance. I have HydroMax Bioms, but I tend to use them in the summer; I'm not trusting any pairs of shoes with a pattern of holes punched on the forefoot to keep water out.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Isn't it the case that if you play regularly in the pouring rain then no shoe is not going to be completely waterproof? I'd say nowadays once you are spending over 60 or 70 notes then they will all behave much the same in the wet. And the only thing that will make a significant difference is how bad the weather actually is, not in reality how waterproof the shoe is?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a few pairs of Eccos, I don't have issues with either the HydroMax versions or the GoreTex versions in the traditional styles for water resistance. That said, my shoes are always cleaned and either treated with Ecco Leather Lotion or polished with a good polish before they are used again so that may improve their water resistance. I have HydroMax Bioms, but I tend to use them in the summer; I'm not trusting any pairs of shoes with a pattern of holes punched on the forefoot to keep water out.

It's a good point, why do they punch holes in the top of supposedly waterproof shoes? I have similar holes in some of my Ecco, Nike, and addidas shoes.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Isn't it the case that if you play regularly in the pouring rain then no shoe is not going to be completely waterproof? I'd say nowadays once you are spending over 60 or 70 notes then they will all behave much the same in the wet. And the only thing that will make a significant difference is how bad the weather actually is, not in reality how waterproof the shoe is?

Not necessarily. If you have the right shoe & treat them properly then you should be able to keep your feet dry in most weather we get. Decent polish or treatment on the outside will keep the worst of it out, what does get through the GoreTex should keep out. Wouldn't risk a pair for 36 holes in those circumstances, but you should survive 18 comfortably.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
It's a good point, why do they punch holes in the top of supposedly waterproof shoes? I have similar holes in some of my Ecco, Nike, and addidas shoes.

I think it is to encourage circulation of air, keep the foot cool and the odours down. Works fine for that purpose, but doesn't do a lot for waterproofing.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
clearly a high focus area right now....

I'm finding the big decision heading out is which shoes, not which clubs in the bag!

The sole on the Ecco Streets is miles ahead of anything else in terms of grip where bits of damp grass and cut leaves clog up most other soft spikes (and I can't clear them easily on course without taking shoes off... :() - this applies even in the wet, but they are obviously not waterproof (neither by marketing, design nor function).

So for the time being it's dry and slip risk, or risking wet and grippy.... :whistle:

Duncan (or anyone else), no issues at all with grip on the street soles? What's the wear like? I'm have tempted but I'm also old enough to remember Stuburt's first spikeless offerings.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I haven't got the Gore-Tex version, and would be very interested if they are 'proper' waterproof. I have had the Ecco Streets for most of the year, and they only time they're off my feet is if I'm going to meet customers or going to bed. Extremely hard wearing, superb grip but, as others have said, have no waterproofing at all worth mentioning.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Duncan (or anyone else), no issues at all with grip on the street soles? What's the wear like? I'm have tempted but I'm also old enough to remember Stuburt's first spikeless offerings.

The soles have worn pretty well, and most of the wear on my black pair has been from off course wear.

Grip wise, you need a stable swing. If you flail away like a dervish, you are going to fall over, a lot. If you swing in balance, they are fine.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I haven't got the Gore-Tex version, and would be very interested if they are 'proper' waterproof. I have had the Ecco Streets for most of the year, and they only time they're off my feet is if I'm going to meet customers or going to bed. Extremely hard wearing, superb grip but, as others have said, have no waterproofing at all worth mentioning.

The soles have worn pretty well, and most of the wear on my black pair has been from off course wear.

Grip wise, you need a stable swing. If you flail away like a dervish, you are going to fall over, a lot. If you swing in balance, they are fine.

Thanks guys, food for thought. Don't think I'm too dervish-like, but not sure I'd qualify as stable and as I'm on the larger side they may not be for me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

I can't discern any wear on the pimples at all from about 30 rounds

I don't understand mthem's post re grip - if the sole's in contact with the grass it grips better than anything I have ever used inc tungsten spikes and every cleat, soft spike and combined sole pattern (the FJ Dryjoy Tour is probably the next best IMO).

fwiw I have no balance what so ever :)

the only interpretation I can make sense of is that if you roll your front foot onto it's side then the smooth rounded profile of the shoe doesn't provide the lateral grip of a sharp edged hard sole......and that I would agree; the grip is only on the sole!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I find that if I really try to belt the ball, my back foot slips (mainly when it's damp, granted, but then it often is, esp early in the morning). This does not happen with any other golf shoes, unless they are clogged with grass cuttings. If I swing within myself, then I'm fine. They are almost like a training aid!