Drop from tree-is it or isnt it under driver length??

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So, if ur up against a mature tree that still has a stake connected to it ,would common sense kick in and not allow relief as its not a new plant???
Actually, I'm inclined to allow relief, then remove the stake - and tell the Pro-shop/GKs what I've done. If the tree has grown around the stake to such an extent that it's not removeable, then no relief as it's part of the tree!

My club has changed the specification of 'staked' trees to 'held by 2 or more stakes' as the original young trees are now strong enough, but there are the occasional exposed ones (even quite tall) that are still propped by several stakes where relief is appropriate.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really, the easiest thing to do is play 2 balls. One taking relief, and one where you don't get relief, and then ask when you get in, and score accordingly.

In matchplay, I've gotta say, I still wouldn't allow it. The tree is obviously taller than your driver, but is bent over...hence the common sense!

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think you should have got a free drop, by physically moving the tree about to make it 'taller' in assessing this local rule is one thing, but if you did the same while taking your stance and broke the tree in some way that'd be a penalty.

The local rule is there to protect the trees. While we must all respect the rules I also think we should use them to our advantage when we can - they penalise us all easily enough so take the smooth with the rough!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
In matchplay, I've gotta say, I still wouldn't allow it. The tree is obviously taller than your driver, but is bent over...hence the common sense!

In matchplay I wouldn't give you the option to decide. I would read the rule out, tell you what I plan to do and tell you to refer it to the committee if you dont like it.

The rules are the rules - it isn't left to you to apply common sense, thats because your common sense is likely to be quite different to someone else's, if you apply common sense to a senario then most of the rules of golf could be mis used (I know that this was a local rule and not a rule of golf)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In matchplay I wouldn't give you the option to decide. I would read the rule out, tell you what I plan to do and tell you to refer it to the committee if you dont like it.

Really, the easiest thing to do is play 2 balls. One taking relief, and one where you don't get relief, and then ask when you get in, and score accordingly.

As I explained above.

The procedures are clear and the match play one can be done without any aggro. Just remember not to confuse them - you can't play 2 balls in match play.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok then lets look at it another way. Are these rules not there to protect trees? If that tree is bending over then surely it is not very strong and needs protecting. If I was at your course and came across this situation and you said I could not have free relief then I would play it as it lies.

What would be funny is to watch your reaction as I play from near this delicate young tree, strike my ball and then smash the tree in half with my follow through. I am a big strong lad and if it was some young delicate tree I am pretty sure there would only be one winner......:rolleyes:

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really much to discuss here, a local rule saying free drop if the tree (HEIGHT) is lower than driver, end of story i would have a free drop so not the players fault and he is following the rules by taking a drop, would you therefore not be following the LR if you did not take a drop from a tree shorter than the club ?

Last edited:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually, I'm inclined to allow relief, then remove the stake - and tell the Pro-shop/GKs what I've done.
Removing the post after giving relief, doesn't sound very equitable though.

.... Of course in Matchplay this is slightly different but I can't see why a player is taking it upon themselves to make changes to the course. By all means tell the relevant people but you shouldn't be pulling out stakes that you don't like. IMHO