Drop from tree-is it or isnt it under driver length??

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
While playing yesterday my ball came to rest at the base of a smallish fir tree, no shot what so ever...

Looked at local rules on the card and it said 'free drop from all staked trees & trees less than the height of your driver'

Now thought i might get away with this as the tree had naturally grown curved,prob to do with wind, weather etc,so the height of the tree was less than a driver but if you were to manhandle the tree and straighten it up it measured about 6 foot...

So,should i get free drop or not??

cheers

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am afraid you would have to ask the person that wrote the local rule

having said that I would interpret the height of your driver to be exactly that ie a height without straightening etc

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hmmm......interesting one. I suppose this might come down to the old 'within the rules but not the spirit of the game' conundrum.

I would actually say yes, within the laws you could claim a free drop. You might find that nobody wants to have a drink with you in the bar afterwards though :whistle:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have to say I disagree here, would stand my driver up next to the tree as it was and if the driver was taller I would take a drop, cant see how the onus on you is to straighten the tree out to compare heights

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never heard of this. We have staked trees (sure) and small trees too.

I can't think I've stopped to give the tree a height check.

If it's a local rule, it's a local rule. :)

Now where's my 40ft fishing rod with an old driver head sellotaped to the end.

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have to say I disagree here, would stand my driver up next to the tree as it was and if the driver was taller I would take a drop, cant see how the onus on you is to straighten the tree out to compare heights

Now thats what i was thinking when i looked at the card as i know some courses do have this rule put in place to protect young tres without stakes,so thought i might be able to use the rule to my advantage for a change..

Anyway,2 of the group didnt know and the other came out straight away with a 'no ya dont' ,so as i was'nt sure i took a penalty drop as i couldnt be bothered argueing with him as he was'nt happy with me regarding an earlier ruling against him...

But thinking about it i think i should have got it:clap:

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Free drop imo.

Height is height - not length.

You could, of course, taken relief as for free relief and, provided it didn't exceed 2 club lengths - as for penalty 'relief' - obtained a ruling later.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was merely posing a sort of philosophical question :whistle:

I suspect Hamshanker would want to define my 100 foot tree as material piled by a greenkeeper for collection :)

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be be fair, the situation was real and deserves a serious answer, so for what it's worth here's mine.

The purpose of the local rule is to protect young trees as permitted in Appendix 1 of the Rules. In deciding that relief would be given for trees no more than a driver height, the intention of the Committee was to protect young trees which had grown no more than the length of driver. This tree was significantly beyond the amount of growth envisaged by the Committee for relief. The fact that it had been bent over by the wind is irrelevant: the tree had considerably more than a driver's length of growth.

So if pushed for a ruling when I much prefer a seat on the fence, I would say no relief on that basis. Highly arguable though.