Drop from tree-is it or isnt it under driver length??

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
To be be fair, the situation was real and deserves a serious answer, so for what it's worth here's mine.

The purpose of the local rule is to protect young trees as permitted in Appendix 1 of the Rules. In deciding that relief would be given for trees no more than a driver height, the intention of the Committee was to protect young trees which had grown no more than the length of driver. This tree was significantly beyond the amount of growth envisaged by the Committee for relief. The fact that it had been bent over by the wind is irrelevant: the tree had considerably more than a driver's length of growth.

So if pushed for a ruling when I much prefer a seat on the fence, I would say no relief on that basis. Highly arguable though.

yeh,fair enough answer,suppose its 1 of those LR that only the committee of the club can answer as its not set in stone in rule book,
but some hard members on here that wont give ya anything:whistle:
but thx for all replies cheers:thup:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would let you have relief. If you get a bit of a good break then fair enough, this game is full of enough bad luck....:thup:

The rule says any tree less than the height of your driver to protect young trees. Was the tree less than the height of your driver? Then you get relief.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
My tuppence worth is it states height not lenght of the tree , id say stand your driver up verticaly beside the tree , if is higher than the tree , free drop if its not then no , let the local rule writer ammend his wording if there is a problem with that...

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
My tuppence worth is it states height not lenght of the tree , id say stand your driver up verticaly beside the tree , if is higher than the tree , free drop if its not then no , let the local rule writer ammend his wording if there is a problem with that...

+1..

DCB

Visit site
So, your driver gets held up straight to assist in the measure, but the thing you are measuring against is left lying at an angle........ :)

It's an example of a badly worded LR in conjunction with some poor greenkeeping IMO.

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would you not see it as having a bit of good fortune of a rule going ur way for a change????

ive had this happen to me and seen it happen to others,been obstructed from a tree that that is fairly new but no stake connected to it and no LR so no free drop,and in same round some1 else has been obstructed from a tree that is (15 foot for eg)and has been there for 10 yrs or so but still has original stake connected and gets a drop,swings n roundabouts i think,;)

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
So, your driver gets held up straight to assist in the measure, but the thing you are measuring against is left lying at an angle........ :)

It's an example of a badly worded LR in conjunction with some poor greenkeeping IMO.
Badly worded & bad greenkeeping is 100% correct DCB but that is not to the players discrssion ,

i am not measuring the tree im measuring the height of the tree .. to me that is from the ground to its highest point .. that would be my interpetation of height anyhow..

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the best way to look at this situation is put yourself in it. Your going down the last hole in the club championship, you know you are 4/5 under your handicap. You ball ends up next to this tree, what do you do?
1: Read the rule as stated, take the free drop as the tree is not as high as your driver, get your par and win the medal?
2: Take relief under the penalty of one stroke as the length of the tree is greater than your driver, get annoyed that this has happened, get a double bogey and loose the club championship by a shot?

I think if we are honest then we would all go for option 1. No rule has been broken, even though at may have been stretched a bit......:whistle:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The rules are there to assist you as well as hurt you

If the rule states that its the height of the tree using a driver to measure then if the height is less than the driver IMO it's a free drop. If it's a badly worded local rule then change the rule but dont criticise anyone who would benefit from using the rule to their advantage.

How long do you think Seve would ponder over the morality of this particular matter before scooping up his ball for a free drop??

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In match play your better option would of course be to take the relief. Your opponent might accept that or might make a claim in which case the Committee would have to make a ruling. That way you keep open the chance of being allowed your relief and winning the hole.

In stroke play you would be taking the risk of disqualification for returning a wrong score by taking the relief and a subsequent ruling going against you. The better option is, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, to play a second ball under Rule 3-3 Doubt as to Procedure and leave the Committee to decide.

The procedure is that you tell your FC what you are going to do and that you will want the ball played under the local rule to count. Then drop and play your ball under the local rule and your second ball under Rule 28 Ball Unplayable. Record both scores and report the facts to the Committee.

In the situation under discussion, it would be possible just to drop one ball which would satisfy the requirements of both rules but it is not advised (Decision 3-3/11). It would, for example, get complicated if you were required to re-drop under one rule but not under the other.

So in neither matchplay nor in stroke play would you have to make a final decision on the spot. You can pass it back to the Committee.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

What makes you say that it's BADLY worded?

It seems quite specific to me. And The Rules are actually worded the same way - to be read literally, with no 'interpretations' to be added. This is, however, something that would be appropriate for (the equivalent of) a query/decision.

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some really good points made,and if i came across this situation again i would allow the player relief...
Asits been pointed out,it states height less than driver but doesnt state its players reponsibility to straighten the tree/plant/bush to decide its height...

Next time we go there i will ask the question see what they say and post it :thup: