Staked tree, when is it a tree.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played yesterday in a medal and a PP smashed his ball into some woods. He cursed said it was lost and unplayable. It is proper brutal in there. I told him nigh on every tree in there is staked in some form or other. None of the other three PP would have it.He played a provisional which was horrendous. We had a walk up and lo and behold found his ball sat at the side of a tree with banding around said tree. We had a quick look on the back of the scorecard and it mentioned about all kinds of stakes, Bandings, plastic covers the lot. In essence I was right. He took said relief, laid up with second, dropped third onto green and sank a downhill 20 footer for par.

Anyway, some of the banding and covers around those trees are no use nor ornament. Some of the trees are 20 foot high. On the next hole is a group of about 12 trees. All planted at the same time, some have wooden stakes, some have been knocked out when grass cutting and are laying on the floor,some are as they are. It was putting my ball at the side of one of these trees last week that had me looking at the rules.

But when does a staked tree become a normal tree. Does all Bandings, stakes etc have to be removed. If there is any banding that remains and has not been removed, It is still a staked tree. Even after X number of years and said tree is now mature.

Oh ah, ave not put this in the rules blog coz we were happy knowing the ruling but were puzzled as to when said tree grows up and stands on its own.

cheers me dears.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would say simply that a staked tree is a staked tree unless there is a local rule that declares certain types of staked tree or staking - or staked trees in specific locations - as not being a 'staked tree' under the rules.

We have a par 3 with green very close to the course boundary - that being a relatively newly planted hedge. If green is overshot ball can end up in the hedge - but not out of bounds. If you are lucky your ball or swing will be affected by a staked 'tree' that is part of that hedge - and after a drop or two you'll find yourself with a shot to the green.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Specimen wording for local rule:

"Protection of young trees identified by ______. If such a tree interferes with a player's stance or area of his intended swing, the ball must be lifted, without penalty, and dropped in accordance with the procedure prescribed in Rule 24-2b (Immovable Obstruction). If the ball lies in a water hazard, the player must lift and drop the ball in accordance with Rule 24-2b(i), except that the nearest point of relief must be in the water hazard and the ball must be dropped in the water hazard, or the player may proceed under Rule 26. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Local Rule"

With the _______ being filled in by committee I guess it means its never fully standardized as some might say stake while other might say stake and tree is under 2 club lengths in height or even just a height description etc etc etc

Tashyboy

Visit site
Specimen wording for local rule:

"Protection of young trees identified by ______. If such a tree interferes with a player's stance or area of his intended swing, the ball must be lifted, without penalty, and dropped in accordance with the procedure prescribed in Rule 24-2b (Immovable Obstruction). If the ball lies in a water hazard, the player must lift and drop the ball in accordance with Rule 24-2b(i), except that the nearest point of relief must be in the water hazard and the ball must be dropped in the water hazard, or the player may proceed under Rule 26. The ball may be cleaned when lifted under this Local Rule"

With the _______ being filled in by committee I guess it means its never fully standardized as some might say stake while other might say stake and tree is under 2 club lengths in height or even just a height description etc etc etc

I knew new it would be an educated person that did not live in this green and pleasant land that would educate me. Cheers Slab me man.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Sounds to me like the green keeping staff need to tidy up and remove stakes/bands that are not needed to protect young trees

The 16th fairway would take about two minutes. The 15th would take about two days.
I was first mad aware about the 15th when I played in a KO comp a couple of years ago. Opponent smashed his ball in the woods. He played a provisional and said if I find my first ball I can drop it at the side of the fairway as there all staked. Eh, guess what we/ I found it at the side of a staked tree, dropped it two clubs lengths, staked tree, again and again and again. Lo and behold he is at the side of the fairway. Yet every drop he would of been hindered in his swing by a staked tree. Will have a natter with our secretary when he is back from maternity leave.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've been thinking on this and looking into it as we have a boundary hedge partly comprising staked 'saplings'

1) My understanding is that under the rules there is no automatic relief from staked trees; there must be a local rule defining any such relief. If the local rule is general. and does not make any exclusion in respect of staked saplings in a boundary hedge then I assume that I can take relief from such a staked sapling?

2) Secondary question is then - where - relative to the totality of the hedge - is the course boundary and hence the out of bounds actually defined - if it is not defined by a local ruling. Is it the inside of the hedge, the inside or outside line of 'trunks' of trees/bushes/sapling comprising the hedge in close proximity to the ball position; or a vertical line down from the outside extremity of the hedge at that point?

3) And given 1) and 2) above - if a stake in the hedge is OOB - can relief be taken from that stake?