Ping G700 Fitting

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I as lucky enough to be one of the two chosen for the opportunity to be fitted for the new G700 irons in the game improvement category.

Headed off to Gainsborugh this morning to the Ping Fitting Centre at Gainsborough Golf Club in Lincolnshire. Fair play to Jake and Chris from Golf Monthly who headed up from Kent for a 9.00 start.

Was given a some balls to hit on the driving range before the fitting and met up with Roland the other one being fitted.

I was looked after by Ed from Ping and we started by choosing the club lie from Ping's colour chart. This is done by plotting height and height of wrist from the ground against the chart. This put me in the red zone (1 degree flat), which is normal for those who are vertically challenged like me. I hit a couple of balls off of a plastic surface and tape on the bottom of the club showed whether the club was flat at the bottom of the swing. In my case these were a bit off of the toe end so we tried black (standard lie). These were also a bit on the toe end and so we tried blue (1 degree upright) and these were spot on.

We also agreed that due to my height the shafts would be 1/2 inch less than standard.

I then hit half a dozen shots with my existing 7 iron (Cleveland 588 CB with stiff graphite shafts - very distinctive bright blue shafts as some of you will have seen in the past). We looked at the stats from the launch monitor which showed an average of 117 yards carry and 129 yards total (was pleased with my guesstimate of 130 yards which I appreciate is not standard forum distance). Ed pointed out that I was launching them much too high with low spin and losing distance as a result. In order to gain optimal distance we would need to concentrate on lowering the launch angle significantly, increase ball speed off of the club and increase spin for a more penetrating flight.

We then went on to try the 7 iron G700. I hit half a dozen balls with five different regular shafts. We started with a graphite shaft, moved on to a light steel shaft, the stock steel shaft, a slightly heavier one and a heavy steel shaft.

There was some improvement with the graphite shaft with a lower launch angle (although still high), and a 5mph increase in ball speed (91 mph from memory) and a 5 yard increase in distance. The lightest steel shaft caused a loss in distance. The stock shaft went well with an additional 5 yards of carry against the graphite shaft (127 yards) and good dispersion. The results with the slightly heavier shaft were not bad. With the heaviest shaft the distance with good, but I had less control and pulled two badly left.

We went back to the stock steel shaft and the slightly heavier one and I was asked simply to hit a few balls with each and see which I was more comfortable with. It soon became apparent that I was much more confident with the stock shaft and the distribution with this one was excellent.

I was still launching the ball a little too high, however, and in order to get the maximum distance Ed suggested that we changed the lofts on the clubs to their power spec which is de-lofting each by two degrees.

My hand was then measured in order to determine the optimal grip size and as my hands are small we went for one size less than standard.

Having agreed on the lie, shaft, lofting and grip it was time to decide on which clubs would complement my current set up. I explained that currently I am playing using driver and then irons (down to 3 iron in the Clevelands), having ditched my hybrids as I am more confident with the long irons. The longest available in the G700 range is the 4-iron, which Ed advised can be hard for some high handicappers to get airborne. However, he agreed that this wouldn't be a problem for me. At the other end of the clubs there is a utility wedge at 49 degrees (gap wedge) and sand wedge. I am happy with my Cleveland Rotex 2.0 wedges currently (50, 54 & 58) and didn't see the need for a sand wedge, but felt there would be too much of gap between the PW and my 50 degree (I only hit this 75 to 80 yards) and so we agreed that the Utility Wedge would be needed to fill the gap (especially as the power spec would make it 47 degree).

After that it was time for Chris from GM to take some pics of me and Roland for the magazine and for Jake to interview each of us presumably for the GM youtube channel.

The experience was very interesting having never been fitted before, although was a little surprised that it is all done from one club (7-iron). I do like the look of my Clevelands, although aimed at a better ball striker than me. The feedback from the launch monitor showed that I am not getting the maximum performance from graphite shafts and that a mid-weight steel shaft suits me better. I hit a number of further shots with the G700 with the shaft we chose whilst Chris took some photos and I had a sense of confidence with the club that I have not had before. The proof of course will come when the clubs arrive and I take them onto the golf course.

The clubs should arrive within the week and in time for the Old Farts meet, so please feel free to come and have a look at the clubs. They are on the large size with some offset, but are also good looking.

Finally, a thank you to Ed and the team at Ping who were great hosts and for Jake and Chris from GM for making the experience an enjoyable one.

D

Deleted member 16999

Great post and hope they are everything you want.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great that you enjoyed the whole morning, I was lucky enough to have a Titleist fitting last year courtesy of GM and I have to say you are well looked after.

Pings are great clubs and I hope yours work as well for you as mine do for me. Do remember they might take a while to 'bed in' so stay with them.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Great write up and super to hear that you enjoyed the whole experience. I was very lucky to have been selected for a Yonex fitting a couple of years ago and the GM team and Yonex really looked after us extremely well.

The proof of the pudding - 3 shots off my handicap with correctly fitted irons!

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
My day as exactly the same, before the fitting I was already using Ping standard lie, shaft and grips. I worked out my specs from the ping website before buying my G20s several years ago. After the fitting I am now 2 degrees upright and between standard and midsize grip so 2 layers of tape! The 2 degrees upright were straight off the fitting chart for my measurements so I'd obviously got it wrong when I did it myself.
I tried loads of shafts and some of them felt like broomsticks, I was surprised how different they all were, in the end ATX 2.0 were the best. Compared with my G20s, these new clubs look very very gorgeous! They are hollow heads with maranging steel faces which are strong and flexible. They look like blades to me so I can see these being very popular. The feel of hitting balls off the face was better than my old clubs and I'd even say they felt 'buttery' (I often wondered what that meant but I think I know now).
I have not gained much distance, just a few yards but I was hitting it straighter and I the the proper lie imust be helping there.

It was a great experience and once again big thanks to the Golf Monthly team.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Well done on being picked ! Im Extremely jealous but that was a great read ! Hope they bring you some success on the course and work as good as they look! Keep us updated :cheers:

Roland

Assistant Pro
www.canal-view.co.uk
Enjoying them, third place in a Stableford last week (37 points) and my first cut for 2-3 years so they are staying in the bag. Going a bit further and giving me confidence every time I play with them. Only thing I'm not a fan of is the grips, which are plain Golf Pride, I liked the old Ping grips with alignment marks on them so will probably change these when they are worn.

Yes there are a few marks on the back but I don't think they detract to much from the overall appearance. Everyone I have shown them to has admired them and nobody has noticed the marks.

Picture shows the back of the 7 iron.
DSC_0114.jpg

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My experience is that because of the colour they don’t retain that new look for long compared to those will a brighter finish - head covers may help here.

These do fly a long way when struck well in the current warm conditions. On the fitting my 7-iron carry length was 127 yards, but I cleared a green with a 137 carry to the middle on Saturday (so probably around 145). Although they put the power lofts in mine because I launch my irons too high, so a 1.5 degree stronger loft than at the fitting.

I read that some were concerned about how these will hold a green as they have quite a low spin rate. I’ve found that they hold the greens well.

Due to a mixture of new clubs, current conditions and my inability to strike a ball well for the past few weeks, I am struggling to work out distances, but for example on our 6th hole, a 330 yard par three I would have been looking a driver and a 6, 7 or 8 iron a few months ago. Last week I used four iron and PW to the centre of the green.

I’ve still to get the best out of these clubs consistently, but there is no doubt that holes that were out of range in two shots are now coming within range and I am able to use the 4-iron off of the tee on some holes where I used to use driver. I wish that they would add a 3-iron to this model, there is no doubt in my mind that I would use it. I got the impression that the view is that high handicappers, who these clubs are aimed at, struggle to get long irons in the air, but that is not true of all of us.

In terms of forgiveness, thinned shots are travelling nearly as far as well struck ones, although that is currently aided by ground conditions.

All in all these are good irons for high handicappers, but they are on the pricey side.

Last edited:

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
great write up. As another lucky recipient of a GM fitting, I'm sure that you will benefit from having a fully fitted set. Ping have a great reputation and be great to hear how you get on when you take them to the course. Hats off to the GM team once again :)

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Due to a mixture of new clubs, current conditions and my inability to strike a ball well for the past few weeks, I am struggling to work out distances, but for example on our 6th hole, a 330 yard par three I would have been looking a driver and a 6, 7 or 8 iron a few months ago. Last week I used four iron and PW to the centre of the green.

Thats one very long par 3, even in current conditions ;):D