Driving iron - Utility Club

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Who uses one of these?

I quite fancy seeing if one of these could knock the hybrid out of my bag, looking at an 18 or 19 degree model.

What models are in your bag and do you like them?

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
I have the Ping G400 Crossover. Really like it.....I find it's difficult to shape the ball but as a reliable option to knock it down the middle off the tee, it's great. Really flies when you catch it right too. I've never got on with hybrids but this seems to work for me.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I have the Mizuno Fli Hi in 3 and 4. Use them both quite regularly off the tee. Even I seem to be able to float em high or keep em a little lower with good run out. So they must be decent clubs....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not a driving iron - but I've had good results through summer using an old (90's) Big Bertha 3 iron that ArnoldArmChewer from this forum sent me. I believe it's around 21° if my research was correct. I use it effectively like a driving iron since I only ever hit it off the tee. I can get it about 200 yards with a bit of a roll, and usually hit it straight more often that I would the driver, which is the whole point of it really. It seems to be very forgiving, and has a graphite shaft unlike the rest of my irons. I just use it on tighter tee shots where a sliced drive would be disastrous.

I've thought about maybe upgrading it to a modern driving iron, but there's no pressing need at the minute.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I have the MP 18 MMC Hi Fli in the 3 and 4 Iron - superb clubs , been using them for a number of years now. Great to use in fluffy rough , off the fairways and tees

https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Mizuno-MP-18-MMC-Fli-Hi-Golf-Iron-Hybrid.html#SID=240

The other ones that are good are the Titleist TMBs -and the Ping Crossovers

The Mizuno and Titleist both have a good Iron look about them with the Pings a bit more chunky

What is your ball flight like with this?

I'm looking for a more penetrating flight than the hybrid. I like the look of that one, not quite as chunky as some on the market.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Srixon Z U65 3i 20 degree Matrix Shaft, love it, so much I bought the 4i 23 degree version as well

I'll have a look and see what I can source/see online although I would rather try first so not sure if American Golf stocks Srixon?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Another vote for the FliHi. I've got the 18 degree which I use for links golf. Versatile off either tee or fairway, gives a low running shot for me.

D

Deleted member 15344

What is your ball flight like with this?

I'm looking for a more penetrating flight than the hybrid. I like the look of that one, not quite as chunky as some on the market.
With the four I can get a nice high flighty ball flight but can get a Lower more penetrating one but with the three is that lowish bullet type - I put the 3 in whenever playing links courses , perfect flight for them

I find the 4 easier to manipulate but the 3 a great consistent bullet fade and then get a good roll out.

I don’t think you will go wrong with either the Hi Fli or the TMB

The other one which has just come out is the TM GAPR range - they look like they can be very versatile

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Who uses one of these?

I quite fancy seeing if one of these could knock the hybrid out of my bag, looking at an 18 or 19 degree model.

Another vote for the ZU65 mate. AG dont stock Srixon so you'll have to maybe go to an independent type place. I tried everything Cobra had to offer but nothing came close so it stayed in.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm hoping that one day I'm stood on the 2nd tee where I play with a Srixon U65 2 iron! Just currently can't fully justify the need for one.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a Z U65 as well and love it.

It gives me a ball flight higher than a traditional 3iron, but much lower than a hybrid.

I used to lose a lot of distance due to excess spin with hybrids.

It’s also much easier to flight the ball high or low compared to a hybrid.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Who uses one of these?

only thing with the Mp18 is they have strong lofts i bought the 3 iron without realizing it is 19 deg.

goes a long way with a penetrating flights but that's because its almost a 2 iron...

yours for a price;)

D

Deleted member 3432

Srixon Z U45 18 degree for me.
Great club and incredibly easy to hit.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the Ping G400 Crossover. Really like it.....I find it's difficult to shape the ball but as a reliable option to knock it down the middle off the tee, it's great. Really flies when you catch it right too. I've never got on with hybrids but this seems to work for me.
This for me bought one off Turkish on here hitting it so well I am dropping my 3 wood for an extra wedge.
G400 is awesome really fizzes when you flush it but I can fade and draw it at will I can’t do that with a hybrid.