Drivers - has the promise of extra distance ever been true?

oleinone

Visit site
I play a Titleist 910D, 10.5, senior flex and on a good day make 200 yds. Had a fitting Wednesday and tried quite a lot of new stuff - g425 Max, Stealth, SiM2Max and Radspeed Max. To my surprise and disappointment none went any further. The fitter waived the fee! He suggested that if I got used to the 425 and the M2 I would probably see some benefit. He knows my pro so he offered to lend me the those two so that I could try on the course. Took them out yesterday and didn't get on with the Ping. The SIM2 went well but still comparable with the old stick. When I middle the 910, I can really feel and hear it. The new stuff feels a bit dead and dull sounding on impact. Is this a function of the better forgiveness across the face? Should I save my dosh and just carry on with the 910? I reluctantly realise that the logical answer should be yes.

Last edited:

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play a Titleist 910D, 10.5, senior flex and on a good day make 200 yds. Had a fitting Wednesday and tried quite a lot of new stuff - g425 Max, Stealth, SiM2Max and Radspeed Max. To my surprise and disappointment none went any further. The fitter waived the fee! He suggested that if I got used to the 425 and the M2 I would probably see some benefit. He knows my pro so he offered to lend me the those two so that I could try on the course. Took them out yesterday and didn't get on with the Ping. The SIM2 went well but still comparable with the old stick. When I middle the 910, I can really feel and hear it. The new stuff feels a bit dead and dull sounding on impact. Is this a function of the better forgiveness across the face? Should I save my dosh and just carry on with the 910? I reluctantly realise that the logical answer should be yes.
According to this new test:
https://golf.com/gear/drivers/gain-distance-slow-swingers-driver-3-wood-robotest/

the slower swing speed doesn’t benefit from the driver Löw launch and spin, so maybe try 3 woods at a fitting?

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
When I went from my starter set (Dunlop!) to a Cobra S3 and then to my current Cobra F6 I got increases both times; Having improved since, I haven't seen major increases when trying new equipment but in the last fitting session I had, the shaft tightened my dispersion and the fitter thought with a bit more time we'd find a shaft that would increase distance and improve dispersion but I was a bit discouraged and didn't think a change would be worth it at this time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Any slight increase in distance could be cancelled out by a soft bounce, a puff of breeze or landing on an upslope.
Since the change to titanium heads and limited MOI, I can't see any significant improvements in the near future, I just don't see the point in changing your driver every couple of years.
If you've got a driver that finds most fairways around 250-260yds, don't fix it, practice your short game.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I don't know.
I choose drivers for finding fairways, not for maximum distance.
Then I only play them on a few holes anyway. I have to see wide open spaces to hit driver.
Otherwise, I wear out my driving iron.

Conservative off the tee, Bold into greens. That's always been my style.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know.
I choose drivers for finding fairways, not for maximum distance.
Then I only play them on a few holes anyway. I have to see wide open spaces to hit driver.
Otherwise, I wear out my driving iron.

Conservative off the tee, Bold into greens. That's always been my style.

I think that's where I'm willing to take a chance. Driver is probably my strongest club in bag.... I'll hit it everywhere I can. I carry it approx 235yrds so am not short, but not long.

This last year I've been breaking 80 regularly, I am working on short game with my pro as we speak, worked on putting last year with an aimpoint lesson (which has been a revelation by the way). So now I'm thinking I'd love an easy extra 15 yards off the tee without having to alter my swing, as I like where my game is at.

It may not be possible..... But it might.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've embraced a loss of distance by going backwards with technology.

Scores haven't changed drastically but the whole experience is so much more enjoyable.

The visual aspect.
The audio aspect.
The feel of the clubs.
And I'm sure of I tried it they'd even smell and taste better. :D

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's your current setup like? ie handicap, length, dispersion etc. What are you hoping to improve?

Hoping to improve on length and dispersion. Currently have a Callaway XR16. I have a big birthday coming later this year and was going to get new irons but tbh the ones I tried didn't give me enough benefit to buy new ones so I'm trying out drivers. Would have bought them though if money was no object as they were nice and shiny lol

Trying Mizuno, Callaway and Ping with our Pro.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think that's where I'm willing to take a chance. Driver is probably my strongest club in bag.... I'll hit it everywhere I can. I carry it approx 235yrds so am not short, but not long.

This last year I've been breaking 80 regularly, I am working on short game with my pro as we speak, worked on putting last year with an aimpoint lesson (which has been a revelation by the way). So now I'm thinking I'd love an easy extra 15 yards off the tee without having to alter my swing, as I like where my game is at.

It may not be possible..... But it might.
This. Pro tells me studio gizmo suggests I'm getting a bit over 220 carry with rollout to 250. And that is plenty good for me. But I know that once things are bedded in with new strike technique a fuller swing the confidence my new driver will hopefully be giving might see +15 onto that. More than enough as going to be working on sharpening up short game...which is already good but a bit inconsistent.

micklson66

Visit site
Anyone recommend American Golf for a driver fitting ?
Im considering getting a Cobra driver and not sure if they will try different shafts and cut length of shaft etc

Last edited:

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im considering getting a Cobra driver and not sure if they will try different shafts and cut length of shaft etc

From my experience no. At best it will be a test with tape on the face on what they have in stock.... Which for me is virtually a waste of time.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They tend to have a limited selection of shafts, unless they have a specific demo day when the manufacturer brings along the full fitting cart.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tried Ping, Mizuno and Callaway. Ping was a no. Callaway and Mizuno both gave me a higher launch angle and more carry with the Callaway being better.

However, my Pro has sent me away with a couple of tweaks to practice over the next week or so and then we will compare again.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've just gained about 25m on driver in the last month

Didn't change it, just got a better swing (cheers for the tip Mr Finch)

Jason.H

Visit site
I went to American golf for driver fitting. Initially I went with the intentions of a Titleist driver. Weirdly he was getting me to try Cobras then TaylorMade then Titleist. With th 1st 2 drivers I was blocking slightly to the right then he gave me aTitleist tsi1 which was dispersing slightly left All 3 very consistent. At this point I lost faith in him, there was only stock shafts regular for me and he started trying to get me to buy. I wouldn’t recommend American golf personally.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In my experience a big NO. Limited shaft options, a bit of a lottery on the expertise of the fitter and reliability of the monitor settings. There are some good ones at AG but its always been hit or miss for me (mainly misses)