Driver sweet spot ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Where is it ? Does it vary with different drivers, and if so how do you ever find it ?

I had a look at the video of the 11 year old kid on here, and he reckons it is high on the toe.:confused: No wonder my low ones out of the heel go no where.:(

The first driver I ever had had a small cross for the sweet spot and that was right in the middle of the club. Persimmon of course. If it is high on the club face, it would have been nice if someone had told me.:(

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
apparently it's now 1/3 of the way down the face, and central.

doesn't mean that for any particular swing there won't be a more productive spot on the face though!

D4RK1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can't you feel it when you catch one flush out the sweet spot? I know straight away where on the club face I've hit my driver. Bang in the middle feels and goes the best for me.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't you feel it when you catch one flush out the sweet spot? I know straight away where on the club face I've hit my driver. Bang in the middle feels and goes the best for me.
With a persimmon club I could feel the sweet spot, but the new big drivers feel the same across most of the face. When I hit a driver off the deck it still feels sweet, and that must be coming of the bottom of the club. I think the carry is greater from higher up the club though.

D

Deleted member 15344

The sweet spot is pretty big on new drivers -

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think you have to get fitted for a proper sweetspot, you might not even have one otherwise :whistle:

There is a test you can do..... put the club in the FOR SALE section for £10 and if someone else comes back saying that they hit it a mile then it has one!! :whoo:

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Pesky kid saying it was high off the toe.

Ha ha that was the video I posted... He reckons on the G25 its towards the toe and in the middle and that was based on the curvature of the face and that spot was the best place to strike the ball as it adds draw spin and in turn gives you better longer drives.

He does know his stuff but I'm not sure if he's right :confused:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ha ha that was the video I posted... He reckons on the G25 its towards the toe and in the middle and that was based on the curvature of the face and that spot was the best place to strike the ball as it adds draw spin and in turn gives you better longer drives.

I thought most drivers created draw spin from the toe, and fade spin from the heel.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

so he doesn't know his stuff? I think the latter

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I thought the sweet spot was meant to be marginally above the centre line, and plumb in the middle. The whole point of a silly high MOI is to make shots outside this go ok. The curve on the face promoted a gear effect that tries to re-centre off strikes, though draw or fade. It doesn't work too well for me though!

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was always informed that of you were to draw a cross on your driver face (top to bottom, left to right) the sweet spot is usually in the top right quadrant (as you look at the face) close ish to the middle

If that makes any sense

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought the sweet spot was meant to be marginally above the centre line, and plumb in the middle. The whole point of a silly high MOI is to make shots outside this go ok. The curve on the face promoted a gear effect that tries to re-centre off strikes, though draw or fade. It doesn't work too well for me though!

Interesting Murph.

I was watching the PGA tonight and that expert they have in the studio was saying how the 'buzzword' on the tour now is launch angles. He was talking about the lofts of the drivers and how a certain loft suits a certain players swing to maximise distance and get the best from their shot shape blah blah blah.

Interestingly, he commented that whilst any single tour pro believes they suit anything from an 8.5 to 11.5 driver loft, because their hands are always forward of the ball at impact the loft is made different and therefore the launch angle isn't 'an exact science' for them because higher up the club face, the loft is ever increasing (because of the forward hands).

So back to the OP question, this is where he said they were hitting... two thirds up the middle of the club face, the sweet spot.

Now, whether that makes any sense to anyone I don't know so please don't shoot the messenger if sommat doesn't sound right and refer back to my poll vote of '0% - mellow' and JPX800 response of 'I like em, that's as technical as I get'.

Hopefully I was listening as tentatively as I thought.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems amazing with all the technology that goes into drivers these days and we aren't even sure where the sweet spot is. :confused:

Intuitively it ought to be bang in the middle of the face and often clubs have some sort of marking there, but of course nothing in golf is ever that simple. I had also heard it was middle just above centre.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Absolutely convinced my driver simply doesn't have a SweetSpot - it was at the back of the queue when they were dished out so is now just a lump of metal attached to a stick....
That's why it's on the way out.....

D

Deleted member 15344

What driver are you using and swapping too ?

Got an old R11 lying around doing nothing