Driver sweet spot ?

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
While looking for a answer I found this on the Team Titleist site...

George C; Only thing I can tell you is about the "Sweet Spot" on my 910D2, and that is that the SS is dead center of the club fact, and it is very small. Love my 910D2, but the only complaint I have with it is that if I don't hit the ball dead center of the club face, well I missed the sweet spot, and I can definatly tell when I hit it or miss it. When I hit the SS, I can feel the ball compress, and it takes off like a rocket. If I miss it, the sound, and feel is totally different, and I don't get the distance, or accurracy when I miss the SS. Again, the SS is dead center of the club face.

I don't think this is anything other than this guys opinion but I thought I'd post just for the bit in bold :D

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've had several drivers over the years and been reasonably happy just hitting it within a 10p piece of the middle, sometimes a little towards the toe, more often towards the heel, (my normal tendency), sometimes higher on the face and sometimes lower.

To be honest given that we're a bunch of amateurs I'm reasonably happy with the above because even with a perfectly honed swing the pro's despite their dedication, practice and ability, still struggle like the rest of us to keep it in the middle of the fairway more than 70% of the time.

Ok they hit the ball pure more often than we do however the truth is that for the majority of club level golfers a 220-230 yd drive hitting 6 out of 10 fairways is a very good stat.

I've experimented with various drivers, lofts and shafts and one thing I did find is that one manufacturers 10 degrees differs from another, sometimes by several degrees. Add different shafts, face profiles and angles to the equation and it's a nightmare to get to grips with if you think about it too much.

I bought a R1 in the Xmas sales and I used it for the first time last week and I had some very good drives however I only hit a few shots bang out of the middle which flew, however what was surprising was that some of the miss hits out of the heel also went a very acceptable distance and more importantly stayed in play.

I think the reason I struggled to find the sweet spot was due in part a lack of familiarisation with the club and a heavier head combined with a lighter shaft. I've managed to get hold of a heavier, more stable shaft to try this weekend, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I haven't found my ideal loft and face angle, although I'm not to far away but it might be interesting for me to try a trackman session to see what figures I get. however at the moment I'm sticking with the Alvero Quiros philosophy of hitting the ball, looking at the flight and seeing if I'm happy with it. It may be basic but it's worked for most golfers for the last century.

As for finding the sweet spot just concentrate on hitting it out of the middle, instead of worrying if it's 1cm to the left, right or up or down.

Last edited:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I wish I could be accurate enough to determine exactly which part of the club face makes contact with the ball.

D

Deleted member 15344

Cleveland Classic XL Custom - nice, but just doesn't work - much like every other driver I've used in the last 15 years.....swapping to a 3Deep 13° - we'll see.....

Good luck with the new one :thup:

If you fancy a crack with the R11 you're more than welcome

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

So the area around the sweet spot which gives the same effect has got larger - so it's not the sweet spot but it's the same as the sweet spot and also bigger.

Ill stick to being nice and simple and what have been told by pros - sweet spot is bigger :thup:

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good info was thinking it was middle as well.

A few of you talk about feel that's one thing I find you dont get with tm drivers IMHO. I switched this last season from mp630 to rbz stage 2, for the fact it was more consistent and distance wise etc all the same just if I hit a bad one it had more forgiveness.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I dunno. You have a break from the site for a while, come back and find threads started by Richart regarding sweet spots.
The whole world seems to be going mad.....
Richart. You have got down to your current handicap without finding one. You are too old to start bothering with all that crap now.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I dunno. You have a break from the site for a while, come back and find threads started by Richart regarding sweet spots.
Richart. You have got down to your current handicap without finding one. You are too old to start bothering with all that crap now.

Bloody cheek.:angry:

Now I know the sweet spot is higher up the club face, I am teeing it up higher, ball further forward and have become a monster off the tee.:whistle:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

:rofl:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Er...No!

It's the same pinpoint sized spot it has always been! And as Doon posts, it's normally Central and about 1/3 from the top these days.

However, the area around the Sweet Spot that provides almost the same effect has got larger. And other effects mean that Drivers are now more forgiving.

Check this (2006) item out http://www.golf.com/instruction/find-your-drivers-hot-spot

This is my understanding, you get 100% off the sweet spot but a small drop off the further you get away from it, what that percentage is and how far it is I don't know nor have I seen any measurements. What I will say is there are clubs that offer up better performance around the sweet spot. I am told that the RBZ 2 is one, and from experience the 910 is not... My present driver seems okay, hotter than the 910, g15 and g20 around the sweet spot .

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wish I could be accurate enough to determine exactly which part of the club face makes contact with the ball.

Likewise for me. As long as some part of the club hits the ball I class it as a success. I've got a 2 year old Ping driver in my bag and the only bit of it that still looks pristine is the sweet spot. If I could remove it from the club I'd be able to sell it as brand new and unused.