Driver sound.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
They sound different when swung compared to being next to one when it gets hit too.
Tried a friends cobra the other week. Dislike the sound stood next to him hitting, but when swinging it myself sounded ok.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
They sound different when swung compared to being next to one when it gets hit too.
Tried a friends cobra the other week. Dislike the sound stood next to him hitting, but when swinging it myself sounded ok.

To be fair, you could swing a strangled cat and it would sound nice!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
The Cobra drivers from the Square era were the worst. The G10 as well if I remember...
In a driving range you needed ear plugs or you could seriously damage your hearing
The 425 is horrible to listen to.
Lots of people say looks and sound don't matter - and if it doesn't then that's great..
But I couldn't listen to that noise every time I used it.
Sadly Fragger has one and he will use it 13 times in a round......o_O

Are you not counting his provisional balls?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought the old square Nike one was called Sumo but could be wrong, loudest driver I’ve ever heard. A mate has always had Ping and the new one he has sounds completely different (and louder) than his previous ones.

The best sounding driver I’ve used was the blue Nike one from a year or so before they packed up.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'd have to take your word for that, way before my time playing golf... have hit hickory clubs, but not much sound apart from the swearing :ROFLMAO:
John_Ball_golf.jpg

Fabia999

Visit site
I have a Titleist TS and it makes quite a loud, kind of high pitch noise when hit, but I think its one of the best sounding drivers I've heard. You can also tell the difference depending on what ball you use.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Never really thought about the sound of the shot off the driver before, my mate just got a new ping , the sound is like that of a comedy cowboy from a film spitting into a spittoon. He hits it well, but the sound is very off putting. My M2 doesn't really make a sound. What's the sound like off your driver and does the sound matter to you?

Mine goes "Bollllloooooooooooooooocks" most of the time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Have never liked the ’tin drum’ noise some drivers make. Then I go and buy a G425 MAX driver - blimey what a racket - however the better I hit it the more I like the sound.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played with someone recently who had a G425 driver, at first I thought it was broken. It’s an awful sound and I wouldn’t buy one as it would put me off.

I get not using a club because of a sound or looks. The G20 Hybrid comes to mind - I remember being given one at a demo day and struck it beautifully - I just couldn't bare looking at the damn thing. So just because of looks I passed. I must admit though sound normally isn't the problem for me, looks are and I know how conceited and shallow that sounds :LOL:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Never found a Cobra driver I liked the sound of, I loved the look of the original white ZL Encore but it sounded awful, same with the F6 I had.

But for god awful driver sounds, look no further than the 2010(ish) Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS "Monster". Like a gunshot every hit.

Boomy

Visit site
If I went for a driver fitting and all of the numbers and consistent hits led me to a ‘louder’ driver than I was used too… I frankly couldn’t care less ? “errr I know I’m getting 250+carry on every hit and the dispersion is superb, but it’s a bit loud so I’ll give it a miss” It’s a blooming driver, you tee off with it then move on, it’s not as if it’s playing on loop in your earphones ? Smash it as loud as you can!!

sunshine

Visit site
Couldn't give a monkeys what a club sounds like. I only care about how it performs.

Sound makes a massive contribution to "feel". And feel is hugely important, so although you would never deliberately rule out a driver based on sound, sub-consciously you probably would!