Driver sound.

D

Deleted member 3432

Played with a lad the other week who had a Sim2.

Never heard anything as awful as that. Don't know if it was the shaft or as I suspect he had it teed way too low and was hitting it below the sweet spot. Whatever it was, I'm certainly not getting one ?

Boomy

Visit site
Sound makes a massive contribution to "feel". And feel is hugely important, so although you would never deliberately rule out a driver based on sound, sub-consciously you probably would!

“Sound makes a massive contribution to feel” ? The feel part happens before the sound part so I’d comfortably say that’s a no!

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never understood how sound can be a deciding factor when buying a driver. However........... When I hit the ping g425 I wanted to throw up. The fact that the ball sailed 280 down the middle and felt buttery soft is irrelevant. It even scared the birds out the trees. My friend who it belongs to has put it up for sale as he is genuinely embarrassed when he hits it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played with a lad the other week who had a Sim2.

Never heard anything as awful as that. Don't know if it was the shaft or as I suspect he had it teed way too low and was hitting it below the sweet spot. Whatever it was, I'm certainly not getting one ?
The Sim 2 is universally accepted as the best sounding and feeling driver ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 3432

The Sim 2 is universally accepted as the best sounding and feeling driver ?‍♂️

Believe me his does not sound good.

Got to be the fact it is teed so low and he hits it like an iron with a decsending blow so not getting anywhere near the sweet spot. Worse that one of the illegal Cobra's back in the day, loud and tinny, makes you want to be elsewhere when he hits it :poop:

Boomy

Visit site
I've never understood how sound can be a deciding factor when buying a driver. However........... When I hit the ping g425 I wanted to throw up. The fact that the ball sailed 280 down the middle and felt buttery soft is irrelevant. It even scared the birds out the trees. My friend who it belongs to has put it up for sale as he is genuinely embarrassed when he hits it.

You could get one of those guest spots on Jackanory with stories like that ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Believe me his does not sound good.

Got to be the fact it is teed so low and he hits it like an iron with a decsending blow so not getting anywhere near the sweet spot. Worse that one of the illegal Cobra's back in the day, loud and tinny, makes you want to be elsewhere when he hits it :poop:

Most of those cobras back in the day sounded absolutely brutal.

sunshine

Visit site
“Sound makes a massive contribution to feel” ? The feel part happens before the sound part so I’d comfortably say that’s a no!

Hmm. "The feel part happens before the sound part"

So you are saying that you feel the contact with the ball before you hear it? How is that possible? Do you have really long arms so you are swinging the club a long way from your body? Are you Mr Tickle? Or maybe Inspector Gadget? Or does your brain take a long time to process sound?

Personally, I hear the sound of contact at the moment of contact. Sound travels at 767mph, so the time delay from club face to ear is imperceptible.

Boomy

Visit site
Hmm. "The feel part happens before the sound part"

So you are saying that you feel the contact with the ball before you hear it? How is that possible? Do you have really long arms so you are swinging the club a long way from your body? Are you Mr Tickle? Or maybe Inspector Gadget? Or does your brain take a long time to process sound?

Personally, I hear the sound of contact at the moment of contact. Sound travels at 767mph, so the time delay from club face to ear is imperceptible.

Ha ha :ROFLMAO: Oh my days, yes, I concentrate on the feel aspect ahead of the sound... perhaps that is where you are going wrong! The sound might be a split second after the contact but to be honest I'm concentrating on the strike so the sound isn't my focus.. you can't have the sound without the strike, or maybe you hit yours backwards? Anyway would love to chat more but i'm off to hit golf balls with a drum, after all, its all about the sound.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Never really thought about the sound of the shot off the driver before, my mate just got a new ping , the sound is like that of a comedy cowboy from a film spitting into a spittoon. He hits it well, but the sound is very off putting. My M2 doesn't really make a sound. What's the sound like off your driver and does the sound matter to you?
Having previously used (Tour Issue/Rejected) Callaway FT3 (the Donk) and a Nike SQ (the previous Sasquatch was even worse!), I may not be fully (or perfectly) qualified to comment, but the sound is far less important to me than 'feel'. What PPs etc hear is unimportant! Remember the Cobra M series - that could be heard from any part of a course?
And FWIW, 2 of my regular PPs have 425s which do sound tinnier than earlier models, but go a very long way!
There used to be a few heads (including that FT3) that had ports for hot-melt that could soften the sound if wanted. I doubt the 425 has one though.
FWIW, the head that sounded the best (on rare centred strikes) was a TM501TP - again Tour Issue (as were all 501TPs) and 'rejected'.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
All metals go, "Ding". They all sound the same, just varying tones. To my ears, anyway.

Proper wooden woods go, "Thwack", which I prefer, is more pleasing to my ears and I am nostalgic about it.

The experience of hearing the first popular metals being used has probably had a lasting effect in my case.